What is the coolant temp on your car today?

GNVAIR

Its 94° here in Jersey today and I just got back from lunch. Traffic moved along pretty good. I had the a/c blasting. Coolant temps were 203° according to Scanmaster and 210° according to my mechanical Autometer gauge.

That is hot. I would think not more that 185 unless parked in traffic, then 195. It's hot by our standards anyway. :)

Just warming up for a new car.

Hmmm, you have done all the normal stuff.

Do you have a loose 9" converter that is heating up the tranny fluid and passing thru the cooler in the radiator?

Have you tested the coolant for traces of exhaust?

Did you use one of the hd three row cores? You don't have a front mount on the car, do you? Even with a three row that had too many fins per inch, I would think it would cool at highway speed with the ducting you have installed.

Steve, when I tell you I have tried everything short of the oil cooler, I mean it! The car has a stock location intercooler.
Frank Szymkowski (FlyinGN) took it to a local guy he knows and had it recored 2 years ago. The car had the same hot running problem even before that.
Nothing I do seems to cool it off. I never tested for combustion in the radiator, but it doesnt lose coolant nor have I ever found any in the oil.
Everyone I had spoken says that with all of the stuff I have done, the only possibility is a plugged up block or heads.

Mine is around 75 degrees today as it is sitting in my air conditioned garage! But seriously, put a lot of miles on it the past week including getting stuck in some bad traffic jams and the hottest it ever got was 185.

It's 94* here today. My car was up to 192* in stop and go traffic and 174* on the highway.

It sounds like it is plugged up but I bet it is not. Have you changed thermostats are dropped it into a pan to see if it opens all the way?

I don't think it is the radiator...they usually will cool okay on the road.

You did not mention the loose converter. Do you have a heat gun, or know someone that does, to check the tranny line temperature?

I went thru a lot of hassle with one of my cars because I put a front mount on it....It runs a lot colder than yours now in much warmer weather but I wish I had a stock mount on it, anyway. :)

I discovered that I gained about 7 degrees more cooling by bypassing the radiator and going only with the external cooler. Last year, I went back to both coolers as i finally got the cooling under control..You throw enuf money and you can fix just about anything. :D

I also noticed that the 134A conversion kicked the temperature up a few degrees...but most of the problem was at idle.

I think I would try to check tranny temperature and for combustion in the coolant as a starter. You have covered all the other bases.....don't think the oil temperature could be the contributing factor.

The trans has about 7k miles on it and a stock stall speed GN convertor from Bruce. It had this same problem before the trans went, so I would beg to say that wouldnt be it.
When I got the car, the previous owner gutted a thermostat, so it had none. I installed a 160°, but you might be correct. Maybe it isnt opening far enough. I just am very frustrated with it running as hot as it is.

kinda makes me wonder if the prior owner had an over heating problem? With the gutted thermostat, I am thinking.

GNVAIR

My coolant temp was at 183 on the way home from work a few minutes ago. Saturday, going to and from the shore, in some traffic, it was in the 190s. Friday night, I went racing. In the pits, it made it to 215.

I'm thinking mine is normal. But I'd like to fix or replace the delay relay in hopes that when racing I can get it cooler than 215.

BTW, I have a 160 thermostat.

In stop and go traffic my temp was 184, when idling at the light it went up to 194 deg. This is with water and RMI solution and a partially clogged radiator.

Make sure when the car reaches those temps, that the fan is running. I personally had a fan that turned on and off intermittently, fooling me into thinking the fan was okay. At one point my temp reached 215 deg cruising, thats when i pulled over to the side and found out my fan was not on.

It turned ot that there was a bad ground connection to the fan. Those bundle of wires grounded and bolted besides the passenger valve cover got pulled by my engine when it had a bad drivers side motor mount.

Today it was 96° & mine stay around 169-174 w/o air in traffic. With the A/C on it hit 194° in stop & go traffic but dropped back down to 180° while driving.

Which I can live with. Anything under 200° with A/C on, on a hot 90° + day isn't too bad.

My ttype will run 173-184 when cruising around town w/o the air on. The worst I saw today at a stoplight was 192. But once I got up to speed it cooled back down into the 180s. My car also has a 160 stat in it. BTW, it was a hot and sticky 91* today in Kansas City.

I am thinking that the 118K mile radiator is probably in need of a freshening.

I'd check with Nick in Phoenix. Sounds like it could still be the radiator. Even with a rodded out radiator, you still might only be 70-80% efficient.

I go out to Death Valley occasionally and to the desert frequently (120+ degrees), without a new or excellent radiator forget it. I also have Dual Spals and run RMI.

My radiator is new, so I know it's not clogged. With just water and royal purple water wetter wannabe, and a 160 thermostat, cooling fans on all the time. Stuck in traffic with the AC on in Florida summer it'll hit 200. On my mechanical autometer gauge. The instant I start moving it'll go down.

For some reason my car seems to cool better at a constant 50 mph than a constant 75 mph. If the car is at 200 when I pull on the highway, it'll go down to maybe 185-190. But if I drive at 50mph without stops it'll drop all the way to 170. However if I pull on the highway with the car already cool, it'll stay at 170-175. Slightly weird, but hey I've never ever seen it get above 200 so I'm not concerned. My LS1 likes a constant 215-220, it's slower when it's cooler.

All this is relative to hot days. Driving around town at night it's 160-170.