What is the coolant temp on your car today?

OK, next questions. How do you successfully and properly remove all the old coolant (water-antifreeze) mix from the car? I'm a lazy ass and all I do is drain the radiator. Because anit-freeze is hazardous, I can't just keep flushing it and let it run down the driveway, nor do I want to collect 50 gallons of very diluted antifreeze/water mix to dispose of properly. What's the best way to flush the system to minimize what needs to be collected for disposal and get most, if not all, of the 12 qts out?

Originally posted by stickybones
OK, next questions. How do you successfully and properly remove all the old coolant (water-antifreeze) mix from the car?

Remove the drain plugs on both sides of the block ['86-7 only].

Hey Nick the drain plug on the pass side is a pain in the you know what. If i just remove drivers side one will that drain just as good if i keep letting the car run for a while with a hose stuck in the radiator with constant running water??

thanks

jojo

Originally posted by jojo
Hey Nick the drain plug on the pass side is a pain in the you know what. If i just remove drivers side one will that drain just as good if i keep letting the car run for a while with a hose stuck in the radiator with constant running water??jojo

I know it is a pain, that is why I have my 16 year-old kid pull it for me! If you have a socket to fit, not a bad job.

Most will flush out with one removed. Start the motor for a couple minutes with the hose running in the rad. Then let it drain.

Hey thanks Nick, buy the way i just had one of you rads installed over at lens performance tranny shop last week, seems to keep things cooled down better.

thanks

jojo

Originally posted by FlyinGN
hmmm. You *SHOULD* have the grill to rad path completely 'tunneled' with plastic baffles on all 4 sides.. Get the missing ones.. This will really help with cooling..

Wow. Didn't know I was missing anything under there. It's actually running a bit cooler now that I have a few miles on it. Mid-80s out today, running 170-180 around town.

Anyone know if the baffles are still available from the dealer? If not, is there an aftermarket source? Used to be I had my pick of Regals at the salvage yard - not anymore.

Thanks,
Jim

Originally posted by GNVAIR

As for Turbojorge..........you must have a freak if your car honestly runs that cool in Florida.

If BlackshoeBox gets on here, he'll tell you. I made 3 quick test passes on Friday while tuning the car before going to the track with him in the car (extra 200 lbs). 3 back to back to back pulls @23 psi or so and the temp was 162. Thats it. Shoeboxes words were: "You gotta be kiding me!". That was after a 90 mile trip from home @75 mph all the way!

Yes, a tranny cooler does help. And a fan out in front of the tranny cooler (like my set up) make a difference as well. They say that 90% of the stock radiators out their on TR's are 50% less effecient. I wonder how cool my car would run if I got a new one or had mine redone.

I too did experience temps over 200 yesterday after I picked my car up from the tranny shop. I have a 160 stat and am unsure as to the age of the rad. At the tranny shop I had the trans rebuilt and a 9" vigilante installed. Also, I would like to know how much the 3 row he rad costs? I know I have a cooling problem because today in fairly cool weather I still was running temps at or above 200. Please help.

Thanx,
Jay

Well I think I've upgraded about everything in the cooling system.
New He 3-row from Nick Mcale, dual spal fans, 160 therm, blocked coolant lines to intake, ATR radiator baffles, external oil and tranny cooler, remote oil filter, distilled watter w/RMI 25, still runs over 200* in summer here in Vegas with stock intercooler.

Anything else I can try?

it just looks like some cars run hotter then others.. Mine is not that bad.. Im not that concerned.. I am running an AC 3000 non lu which adds to the heat a lil and my engine is .030 overbore when it was rebuilt. Wonder if that makes a difference..
Considering these cars ran over 200 most of the time when they left the factory, most of us are not running cooler and have more hp then back in 87. Thats not bad..:)

Well you all are sitting pretty compared to my GN. In traffic I sit at about 215-220. Driving it coos back down to 200. This weather sucks in AZ.

Hey watch it, we live on GLaciers, skidoo to work and eat whale blubber up here and Canada EH! ..... I can't figure out how to get the ski's mounted on the front of the GN yet any idea's , btw we don't need rad's up here, My rad is frozen solid 8 month's out of the year !!:rolleyes: