What lubricants you running in engine/trans?

SS/GNX

Formerly NothinYet
Here is an interesting topic, I think...

What engine oil are you guys running in these motors...

Trans fluid?

Synthetic? Semi Synthetic? Conventional? Brand?

Anybody running Royal Purple... proven on the dyno to give you like 5-10HP to the wheels!

What do you think is the best and WHY?

Synthetic fluids !

ENGINE OIL> Valvoline full synthetic 5W30 racing oil , not street legal because of 1500 parts per million of ZDDP

Transmission > Amsoil or redline High temp dexron III

Rear end, Amsoil 2000 series 75W90 with GM limited slip additive

regards,Blackhawk38

two votes on valvoline, but two different weights... interesting.

Come on guys, post what you are using or think should be used!

Thanks to those who have posted!

Did you do a search? There was a poll last year that had a bunch of responses.

this may be a stupid question but whats "dino"?

Your choices:

1. Rat Pack crooner Dean Martin
2. ...as in "dino"saur remains
3. Enzo Ferrari's deceased son
4. All of the above

Steve (been in the heat too long)

Ran pretty much any brand dino oil for over 40k miles, 10-30,

Just recently switched to Valvoline Sythetic since I don't drive it much anymore, but will be switching to Mobil 1.

Right after tranny was rebuilt I used 1/2 Dextron & 1/2 type F, Now it's more like 1/4 Dextron and 3/4 type F, I think it's valvoline also.

I forget what weight I put in the Rear, but it's valvoline too.

Rotella with Wix filters here 10w-30 and Dexron Mercon 3 in the trannys. Use regular 75-90 in the rear end with limited slip additive. Synthetic would whine like crazy.

Jason

Oils.

Not real picky on the motor oil, anything as long as I add EOS but I broke the motor in on Rotella and EOS, but the trans has had Royal Purple, since I was told by my trans builder that the temperatures will be lower with a good synthetic. Heat kills.

Engine - Pennzoil GT 25W-50
Transmission - Mobilfluid 424
Rear End - Lakewood BFL 80w-90 yellow label

Valvoline 20W50 dino race oil. Why: The valvetrane is really quiet with this oil.

Trans: Royal purple ATF because as mentioned earlier - syn runs cooler

Rear: mobil 1

Scot,

Dino oil is just the standard hydrocarbon motor oil that everyone sells, comes from refined crude oil. True synthetic based oils are usually much better than dino oil as they are more stable and don't thicken as bad at low temperatures.
I run Royal Purple 5w-20 in mine, but I'm going to switch to 5w-30 next oil change.

John

Scot,

Dino oil is just the standard hydrocarbon motor oil that everyone sells, comes from refined crude oil. True synthetic based oils are usually much better than dino oil as they are more stable and don't thicken as bad at low temperatures.
I run Royal Purple 5w-20 in mine, but I'm going to switch to 5w-30 next oil change.

John
Thanks for a real answer! I just went and bought Valvoline VR1 20w/50. that has worked great in my last two engines.. http://www.valvoline.com/products/VR-1 Racing Motor Oil.pdf

Thanks! Scot w.