You can type here any text you want

What Luck....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mrose

Has anyone ever broken the rocker arm pedastel off of a Champion alum head? I'm talking broke off at the base of the head...It's still attached to the rocker shaft but not the head. :confused:

you arent unique its happened before

take it and have it rewelded , put a solid shaft across the head to keep it aligned while welding
once its welded drill the threads out for a helicoil and thread it into the head below the previous crack , then use a longer bolt
while i had the head off i did the others with helicoils the same way

something like this ?? :eek:

Attachments

• alum Champion.JPG
    alum Champion.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 377
  • alum heada.JPG
    alum heada.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 368
I wonder who put paint on the fasteners Grumpy???;)

I have seen that problem before too. Sucks but fixable.

When I see stuff like this it makes me want to stick with iron heads.:confused:

to me "irons" rule for the street !! BUT lots of guys "need" the cool guy parts :biggrin: I'll also add those heads that broke on us had been around the block. AND they were fixable..

I guess fixable and newer better designs do make the alumium a fair choice especially for full time racers.

Thanks for the replys...It just sucks having to pull the heads again..these life learning lessons are really starting to add up $$$ wise.

IMO anyone who runs a roller cam and plans on revving over 5500 should not run the pedestals. Mill them off and run the correct rocker for the application. I'd reserve those pedestal style for those who want to run flat cams. Just because you can doesn't mean you always should.

For the guys that broke those mounts, did the rocker shaft break also?

If you go to the link below, you will see the rocker assemblies, but also a steel "stand" that bolts to the top of the heads.

The rockers are bolted to this piece. :)

TA Street Intimidator (SI) | TAPerformance.com
I went to the website and saw that. Looks very strong compared to the pedistal.

It wont happen to a CHAMPION 14 Bolt head either ;) :cool:
So the regular 8 bolts are subject to breakage with this design? Bison mentions milling the pedistal off? What would go in it's place?

if you mill the pedestals you can drill for independent chevy stud style rockers like the scorpions , guess what ..they break too , probably more common then the pedestal failure

oh and yes when the pedestal breaks the shaft gets damaged

if you mill the pedestals you can drill for independent chevy stud style rockers like the scorpions , guess what ..they break too , probably more common then the pedestal failure

oh and yes when the pedestal breaks the shaft gets damaged

If you buy a good set of rockers you will get the metal stand that bolts to the heads and you bolt the rockers to it. I've yet to see one of those break. The simple rule here is if you go the cheap route it might bite you in the ass. The good rocker arms are about $900. the cheap ones are under $300. Stock ones are free. If you are building a high hp TR that can effectively use these heads and want them ported you need to plan on spending at least $4500 or you won't be getting the best of the best.

If you go to the link below, you will see the rocker assemblies, but also a steel "stand" that bolts to the top of the heads.

The rockers are bolted to this piece. :)

TA Street Intimidator (SI) | TAPerformance.com

Uh.......The ones I just had to modify were actually ALUMINUM, not steel, Nick. I had to increase the depth of the head stud pocket, as they wouldn't sit flat on the head. I didn't want to cut the studs that much and loose the allen feature, so I machined the pocket deeper. No big deal. But the pedistal stand was hard anodized aluminum, not steel.

You know the deal......EVERY part you buy for a race car, needs modifying. Even a bottle of engine oil needs modifying if you are pouring it into a race engine.;)

Back