What mufflers do you recommend for a turbo car?

"Turbo-T"

V6 on steroids
Coming from the n/a V8 side, I prefer Dynomax Ultraflows, because I know they actually allow the engine to exhale and make power. I've had Flowmasters with the same engine and almost always did they hold back some power, notibly on the top end.

I was reading on here where someone said too little back pressure can affect how efficnet the turbo operates.

Right now my car still has the stock 2.25 exhaust, no cat, and what looks like Flowmaster 40 series.

I've considered removing the set up and going with a 3 inch single exhaust with a Dynomax Ultraflow muffler.

But since a Flowmaster is more restrictive than an Ultraflow and with the thing I read on turbos and back pressure, has me wondering what to expect if I did go with a straight thru high flowing muffler?

Helpful? or hurtful?

Thanx, I will definitley go with the Ultraflow.

Now I am not sure if I should go with a single 3 inch or dual 2.5's or ???

Not much is known about my engine other than it's pushing 15 lbs max, blue top injectors, Poston GN-110 cam. I think I still have the stock 2.5 inch down pipe, but I am guessing I should upgrade that to a 3 inch?

You can't go wrong with either "Ultra Flow's, Magnaflows, or Race Magnums". Just get the center in/out design. I have used all, and can't tell the difference. Brian

Ulta Flo Race Magnums here with no problems and sound good. My car runs the same thru the mufflers or with open exhaust. Don't worry about the downpipe until you get into the very low 12's. Many of us have gone high 11's thru the stock downpipe and I went 11.53 @117 with a 2.5" ATR stainless stock replacement downpipe(just like the stocker it just didn't have the necked down spot) that I bought off this board for $50. Ask lots of questions before you buy speed parts because you can go low 12's on stock parts so don't waste your money until you get you car running correctly on the stock stuff.

I run the Aero chamber mufflers on my GN, not too loud an d no annoying drone.

Eyup--like Steve said, don't worry about stock-sized (2.5") dnpipe until 11's. Dual 2.5"ers in Hooker AeroChamber or Dynomax Ultra-Flows or Ultra-Flo Race Magnums. The performance of a 3" single will also be plenty adequate--but perhaps with a bit more drone...

No mufflers or straight through mufflers. If you can look in one end and see out the other they will work well. Back pressure does not help any engine perform better, especially a turbo engine.

bad choice?

we fabbed up a 3'' mandrel bent single exhaust on my 87 gn powered 85 monte, no cat, used a goerlich's xlerator muffler (direct copy of a flowmaster 40 series i think). it seems like it TOTALLY robbed the car of power compared to driving with no exhaust. will a different (or no) muffler bring that power back?

we fabbed up a 3'' mandrel bent single exhaust on my 87 gn powered 85 monte, no cat, used a goerlich's xlerator muffler (direct copy of a flowmaster 40 series i think). it seems like it TOTALLY robbed the car of power compared to driving with no exhaust. will a different (or no) muffler bring that power back?

I feel you can best answer that for yourself. When you say "seems like...", that tells me you don't have hard data to back-up power loss. Are you just going by audio dyno or butt dyno (both inadequate)?? Either way--->>>

You need to remove your muffler & retest. If loss of power is real, then you just replace your Flowmaster knock-off (which do not flow very well by-the-way) with any of the known better ones.