You can type here any text you want

What parts are hard to find for Stage 2 engines?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Mike E

Mr. Badwrench
Now that side projects have slowed down and my car is nearing completion I'm starting to think about making some production runs of parts. If I do this (very likely) I will become a site vendor.

I know there are quite a few people out there that want to put together stage 2 engines, but there are some key parts that are hard to find. Headers and EFI intakes I know about. What parts do most of you guys need to put stage 2 heads on your cars?

For guys that don't currently have stage 2 parts, would it make the heads more desireable if the headers and efi intakes were something you could purchase?

To start I'm thinking about making headers, efi intakes and valve covers.

#1 headers. I want to make these as economical as possible, so no fancy race headers. I want to build something very similar to the TA headers for production heads, but for stage 2 heads. That means the drivers side header would be 3 into 1 with a collector, the crossover would pass under the oil pan and then into a log style header for the drivers side, stock turbo location in either a 3 bolt or t4 flange. I could do mild steel and have them coated or 304 stainless. My goal would be to build everything so that you can use an off the shelf downpipe.
Most have probably seen my header builds, but if not here are a more complicated set I made before. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/stage-2-single-turbo-header-fabrication.361939/

#2 EFI intakes. I can convert a carb intake and build an elbow that uses the factory throttlebody with a mount for the stock coil pack. This one has already been done. I could do this on a core basis or you can hunt down your own and I'll convert it.
CIMG0937.jpg

#3 I would also like to offer valve covers because they aren't so easy to find anymore. I have a small stockpile of parts ready to make these
CIMG0904.jpg

Those valve covers are nice and I would buy a set. I would also ditch my ATR headers for a nice quality set of 321 stainless headers. Don't think mild steel would be any good and 304 is marginal for high HP/heat. I think a good selling feature would be some flexability with options. For example oil fill cap and breather locations on the vavle covers and material selection for the headers. I would pay extra for the material if it meant a better quality product.

Allan G.

Well it would be nice to have an deep 14 bolt aluminium oil pan that is stock style with the 12an fitting in it. Also you headers must fit AC cars.....

I'm thinking this could help some guys put together some high performance street motors on a budget. Even s2 heads on a 109 or stock 4-1 block. That is the reason for the log style header and budget friendly material. Just some quick numbers put a set at around $1350 in 304ss with mild steel flanges and v-bands.

I have no problem offering them in 321. I would like to keep a set of mild steel and a set of 304 stainless on the shelf, anything else would be built after paid for. Mild steel and stainless flanges are both possible. Mild steel is about the same as atainless after coating is added. 321ss could easily add $1000 in material alone.

Breathers, fittings, fillers and baffles on the valve covers are no problem. The only issue I would have with valve covers is I can only build the style that bolt down around the perimeter. I would need a junk head to build the ones that bolt down using the rocker shaft bolts. It's questionable whether sheetmetal valve covers warp and seal well with that style anyways.

Well it would be nice to have an deep 14 bolt aluminium oil pan that is stock style with the 12an fitting in it. Also you headers must fit AC cars.....

14 bolt oil pans are a possible also. I have a few flanges already made.

I can make the headers fit a/c, but I'll need someone with a/c and s2 heads to check them. I still think the a/c box will need to be modified for the valve cover to clear. I can reproduce the Atr kidney plate in sheetmetal if needed.

Wow nice pan, but I don;t think I can use anything with kickouts on the side due to the headers I;m running.

14 bolt oil pans are a possible also. I have a few flanges already made.

I can make the headers fit a/c, but I'll need someone with a/c and s2 heads to check them. I still think the a/c box will need to be modified for the valve cover to clear. I can reproduce the Atr kidney plate in sheetmetal if needed.
That would be great

You can use my stage 2 thread to get some pics of the cut-out, to give you a slight idea. I made the hole bigger so I can actually pull the valve cover off, slight clearance is not good enough

Atr kidney plate and if u could reproduce the smaller heater cores they use to sell

I can't make a heater core, but if there is an OE application that is the right size, I might be able to put new hose connections on it.

It was finally great to meet you today Mike! Put me 1st inline for headers!;) Talk to you soon

Seeing that you are so talented. Maybe a Gear Drive Set would be nice...lol...:)
Glad to see you are getting on this. Many will be happy to have stuff done by you. I see that you are a perfectionist.
You either do it right, or don't do it at all.

Joe

Alot of Buick guys would not want to take out the AC box so they should fit without removing the box. I would have of bought a set from you long time ago...

Screw the AC Norbs. I took mine out and I am happy I did. So much room to play with. Reomve it without breaking it. That is what I did. Stored away for someone who will want to put it back. NOT ME!!

It was finally great to meet you today Mike! Put me 1st inline for headers!;) Talk to you soon

Good to meet you too. I got some more motivation to get my car done today, so I need to start cranking out parts and making money.

Alot of Buick guys would not want to take out the AC box so they should fit without removing the box. I would have of bought a set from you long time ago...

How often do you use a/c in canada. Don't you guys have 3' [1m] of snow and polar bears running around all the time? :)

I think with the way I'll be building the headers, a/c clearance won't be an issue. The valve cover will be the problem. When you had just the heads bolted on, did the valve springs clear the a/c box? Do you think it's possible for a custom valve cover to clear the box without modification.

Screw the AC Norbs. I took mine out and I am happy I did. So much room to play with. Reomve it without breaking it. That is what I did. Stored away for someone who will want to put it back. NOT ME!!

I second that. You should be building for at least 9's, BTW would require fire jacket anyway so if removing the heater core is a concern than wear your fire jacket and gloves to keep warm !!!:p

Allan G.

Good to meet you too. I got some more motivation to get my car done today, so I need to start cranking out parts and making money.

How often do you use a/c in canada. Don't you guys have 3' [1m] of snow and polar bears running around all the time? :)

I think with the way I'll be building the headers, a/c clearance won't be an issue. The valve cover will be the problem. When you had just the heads bolted on, did the valve springs clear the a/c box? Do you think it's possible for a custom valve cover to clear the box without modification.

No we sometimes have hot summers........and humid. Its impossible to do with valve cover mod, you can;t even get the rocker shaft on..

Back