what plugs NOT to run

FlyinGN

all show no go
man.. A while back there was a thread here on the merits of NGK V power plugs and how good they run in some cars. Well I had AC CR43's in and put in a set of NGK UR-4 V powers.. and at the same time, a power plate AND a new NOS AC Delco maf.. needless to say the car, under boost (about 4 lbs ON the car ran like crap.. Black smoke, popping lack of power Knock sensor goig nuts. CRAP..
I broke the number one rule on these cars. ONLY change ONE thing at a time.
I figured it might be the MAF.. Then I read the problems here one person had with their power plate (It was a vacuum problem not the plate) and Im bummed.. Could it be the plugs? I gapped em at a tight 35 so the gap can't be too big.. hmmm.
Today I pull em and put ina new set of AC CR43's gapped at a tight 35.. WOW. That what it was..!!
NO smoke, no tetonation and it runs again like a raped ape:)
A word to everyone..
STICK TO THE AC CR43'S... Save yourself the aggrivation that I went thru..

Add Splitifres to the "Plugs not to run" list. The original owner of my T-type burned a valve when an electrode broke when the car detonated during a race.

Don't think it is the plugs tho' I thought it was the UR5s that I ran.

If it had been me that did it, it would certainly be a crossed plug wire...of course, it would idle badly if that were the case.

Sounds like the maf to me....

NO BOSCH PLATINUM PLUGS!

Don't even get them near ANY car...They've caused problems in every car they were ever in that I've had experience with.

I run the NGK UR5 and think they are great, never heard of anyone running the UR4. The Ac Delcos work good as well.

Frank,

I had the same problem with the UR5 plugs, the car ran terrible. I figured it was the wires, immedialty changed to the AC and the car ran fine. I think the UR5s are junk.

Bob

Flyin posted he used the UR4's.... too cold?

I have the UR5's in my friends 86 and my 85. We both have had NO problems running them.

Both cars MPHd in the 117.5mph range in the 1/4.

Nope Steve it was the plugs.. Problem COMPLETELY solved when I switched back to AC 43's. I too thought it was the maf.. But it was not.

Originally posted by Steve Wood
Don't think it is the plugs tho' I thought it was the UR5s that I ran.

If it had been me that did it, it would certainly be a crossed plug wire...of course, it would idle badly if that were the case.

Sounds like the maf to me....

Maybe you are onto something. The UR4's are 1 range colder then stock? Correct?

Originally posted by TType85
Flyin posted he used the UR4's.... too cold?

I have the UR5's in my friends 86 and my 85. We both have had NO problems running them.

Both cars MPHd in the 117.5mph range in the 1/4.

I run the UR5's and my car runs great with them. They're gapped at a tight 35, but anything over 20 psi boost needs a tighter gap using this plug. But other than that, I think they're great.

Donnie

Originally posted by FlyinGN
Maybe you are onto something. The UR4's are 1 range colder then stock? Correct?

no, on NGK's the higher the number the colder. years ago when i looked at my NGK book the same plug x-refrenced to AC 42's and 43's.

earl

U know.. When I got my GN years ago, it ran like crap too.. And when I did the spring cleaning I remember that the previous owner ALSO put in the UR4's.. There was so many other things qrong with the car, that I never gave it much thought how it could have been the plugs. NOW I know it was..

Frank, Now you have me thinking. If I ran the UR5 and they are a heat range COLDER, that could have been my problem.

Huh

I put the ngk's in my car and I installed them in a friends car also
with no problems, I would use them again, just my 2 cents!

Frank....I wonder if there was a bad plug in the batch? hairline crack or something in the insulator. I have only used the "5"s so I really don't know about the "4"s.

My favorite plug is the Autolite-normally run the 23s and sometimes 24s. I have never had a problem with them, the ACs, or the NGKs. The good thing about it is that you know it runs well on the ACs so you don't have to make the NGKs work :)

My favorite plug is the Autolite-normally run the 23s and sometimes 24s.

Ditto. I used to run the 24's on the street and 23's for the track but now I don't bother changing them and I just leave the 23's in there. Never had a problem, whether running 20+ psi and mid 11's at the track, or driving around town @ 17psi.

Originally posted by FlyinGN
STICK TO THE AC CR43'S... Save yourself the aggrivation that I went thru..

I went to Autozone today to pick some up....

Me: I need some AC Delco CR43TS spark plugs.
Parts Counter Monkey: What year car?
Me: '87 Regal, 3.8 turbo
PCM: Here they are: R44TS
Me: I need CR43TS
PCM: :rolleyes: OK, I'll get you want you want.

PCM then takes them to the register...

Checking out...

Clerk: Are these plugs yours too?
Me: (looks at them...they're just R43TS), that's not what I asked for. Just forget it.

:mad:

I paid for the other junk I had and went to Advance Auto to get them.

NGK plugs are opposite of AC plugs, the lower the number the hotter the plug, should ne useing a #5

Originally posted by c&cgn

Never had a problem, whether running 20+ psi and mid 11's at the track, or driving around town @ 17psi.

Damn you Clayton!! Running 17psi on the STREET!:D :D :D

Where can I do that here? ;) :p

Tell Carla I said Hi!

yes maybe Steve.. I looked at em real good but could see nothing. Not that I could see the hairline crack..

Frank....I wonder if there was a bad plug in the batch? hairline crack or something in the insulator. I have only used the "5"s so I really don't know about the "4"s.

My favorite plug is the Autolite-normally run the 23s and sometimes 24s. I have never had a problem with them, the ACs, or the NGKs. The good thing about it is that you know it runs well on the ACs so you don't have to make the NGKs work :)

Originally posted by Geoff87

Damn you Clayton!! Running 17psi on the STREET!:D :D :D

Where can I do that here? ;) :p

Tell Carla I said Hi!

Hey Geoff, when am I going to see an updated timeslip? ;)

17psi is as low as I can get the car to go with this damn V4 IC! :D

I can usually get away with as much as 19 or 20 on Chevron 94. I just peel the boost back 1 or 2 psi in 3rd and 4th with the MM Boost Commander. I've taken a few local GNRA members for some fun test drives :eek: :p