What Shift Kit?

jdhogg1

87 GN hardtop
I just bought an 87 GN, the trans was rebuilt to stock specs about 40k ago. The original TV cable ear was cracked, so the cable had 1/16" free play. I'm getting a new cable and going to change the fluid. What shift kit should I put in while I'm in there?

I'm also going to put on a trans cooler too. The engine and turbo are completely stock.

Use the CKPerfromance kit.
It is very simple and effective.

Lot's of kits to choose from as you will soon hear from others. My experience is with the CK kit. Mine was a breeze to install and works great. Nice firm shifts under power, but not too harsh for everyday traffic.

Attachments

• DSC00179 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00179 (Medium).JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 241
shifty buiness

:cool: I have the PTS kit in my TType and love it. Great kit. Firm shifts. My tranny mechanic was very impressed.:cool:

Change the TCC solenoid while your there.

I had the same feeling with a CK Performance kit.

Have you ever even used it?

Less than a year ago you were asking about kits on this board and didn't mention trying the CK kit.
See post here:
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/tr...hift-kit-info-wanted.html?highlight=shift+kit

I've used the PTS kit, TransGo Reprogramming kit, and CK Kit as well as studied the Art Carr kit.
Most are similar but I've said it before on here and elsewhere, why by the PTS kit when you can buy the TransGo, other than the PTS kit basically blocking the 4th accumulator with the super heavy spring and washers it is almost identical to the Transgo kit.
The Transgo kit comes with larger than stock boost valves.
Lets see Transgo kit is $75 including larger boost valves.
I paid $175 for Bruce's kit and PR setup and the .570 boost valve I got was junk. Piss poor machining.

CK kit is $125 and also includes boost valves.

You were quick to call Chris a liar in the other thread,
I'm calling you one now.

Have you ever even used it?

Less than a year ago you were asking about kits on this board and didn't mention trying the CK kit.
See post here:
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/tr...hift-kit-info-wanted.html?highlight=shift+kit

I've used the PTS kit, TransGo Reprogramming kit, and CK Kit as well as studied the Art Carr kit.
Most are similar but I've said it before on here and elsewhere, why by the PTS kit when you can buy the TransGo, other than the PTS kit basically blocking the 4th accumulator with the super heavy spring and washers it is almost identical to the Transgo kit.
The Transgo kit comes with larger than stock boost valves.
Lets see Transgo kit is $75 including larger boost valves.
I paid $175 for Bruce's kit and PR setup and the .570 boost valve I got was junk. Piss poor machining.

CK kit is $125 and also includes boost valves.

You were quick to call Chris a liar in the other thread,
I'm calling you one now.

I've used the Art Carr, Trans Go, Old Kenne Bell Kit & most recently a PTS kit. My only experiance with the CK Performance product was in a car i was going to purchase with a full blown CK Performance built transmission in it. It shifted like it was made of mashed potatoes at part throttle & a piece of farm equipment at full throttle.

I was VERY happy with the PTS shift kit i purchased & would recommend it. As far as the other thread, Maybe you should re read it as i NEVER called anyone a liar?? And furthermore CK Performance has yet to clear up his slanderous remarks made there..... Why?? :confused:

Here is a link to that thread.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/tr...6-sr7-performance-anyone-here-dealt-them.html

I'm sorry TurboBuick that the CK crew dragged this thread off subject.

My experience with the CK kit (I usually use my own setup) is I bought one to try in a local customers trans earlier this year. Worked great. I was happy with it.
I installed one in a trans I built for a customer who bought the kit and hard parts from CK, It also seemed to work very well although I didn't get as much seat time in that car as it was a quick R&R and rebuild on a weekend to save a guy two trips from central TX.

I got to ride in a RX7 V8 car with a complete CK trans that I setup the TV cable for a local customer. The CK trans seemed to work excellent in that car (car was neat anyway being so light with plenty of power).

3 experiences in the last 6 months or so, all positive.

PTS's kit, one experience was enough for me and at the time I was studying all the different 200-4R valve bodies and kits I could get my hands on.

Maybe they made a mistake on the plate on mine but I had a tie-up and it wasn't a clearance issue.
Maybe Bruce's kit is geared for a stock trans with 2 frictions in the OD pack but I don't need or want the trans to shift to 4th with no accumulation.
Seems like a good way to break OD ring gears and carriers to me.

I can even deal with the tie-up issue but the machining on the .570 boost valve... :(
I've worked as a machinist and lets just say it was disappointing. Very rough machining for such a critical component.
The Chinese are getting no-name crankshafts cleaner than that.

I would say your limited experience with CK's product may have been caused by a bad installation or other issue. It wasn't the recal kit anyway.

In all honestly, most of the 200-4R kits do about the same thing, some go about it a different way.

Some guys like a brutal shift, and if so, then the PTS kit will be the one to get you there, but almost all experienced trans builders know that a firm, crisp shift without being brutal is what the goal should be.

My PTS shift kit when installed on a low mileage original transmission showed NO signs of a "brutal" shift. Just nice, clean, firm shifts. 110% satisfied with the product & dealing with the company. :)

I'm using a transgo kit currently, but not all of it. The transgo kit comes with a little plug to block off one of the passages on the valvebody plate. I didn't use it. As well, the pressure valve spring was really light, so I didn't use it and used a heavier purple spring from a different kit. I also opened the passages up to the specs in CK's manual. I also used a .300 lo/rev boost valve (now have .570 and .400's) and used a 700R4 4th accumulator and spring.

So anyway, I'm not sure if I can really call this a transgo kit as not much was used, but it works good.

The TransGo pressure regulator spring will provide about 250-260 psi line with a .500 boost valve which has been adequate in a dual fed unit up to the 550-600 lb ft of torque range.
Chris's PR spring gets them to about the same.
Bruce's PR setup will get it to over 300 psi, which can be good and bad.

The PTS kit uses a slug in the 3rd accumulator hole too. :cool:

You can do that hole either way, plug it and use the small hole next to it to control band release, or leave it open and use the checkball.
It is more of a control method than anything. It allows you to tune the band release if necessary.

All the kits that I know of change the line bias and accumulator valve springs, most change the accumulator springs, and there is some orifice changing in the plate to the feed holes.

When you play with them long enough you get an idea of what the specific orificing needs to be for each feed hole, and how you want the accumulators setup.
Pressure regulator can be setup using common aftermarket parts without a "kit".