What size intercooler pipeing should I use?

Chaotic GN 85

I got my stock turbo ported and upgraded, and I will be installing an alky kit, I am thinking of installing an intercooler, but I dont know what diameter pipeing to support the best air flow, but not causing too much boost lag.

Alky AND an intercooler. Quite an interesting setup.

I was interested in doing this myself.

Let me know how it goes!

Guys,
The IC and Alky is the way to go. IMHO
I have learned that adding and IC is easy on
a hot air. Using a modified upper plenum
(see my signature), makes the thing simple.
I am looking into making a custom upper plenum
to make this thing even easier. I had one
of these modified plenums flow checked and the
flow IS NOT AFFECTED, as compared to other
upper plenums, by the relief for the
turbo and any turbo up through a TA 49 will
fit, too. I won't be selling these, but maybe
Brian (Bweavy), or Race Jace will step in?
I would like to know if there is any interest
in these plenums, if you guys are interested?

Guys,
The IC and Alky is the way to go. IMHO
I have learned that adding and IC is easy on
a hot air. Using a modified upper plenum
(see my signature), makes the thing simple.
I am looking into making a custom upper plenum
to make this thing even easier. I had one
of these modified plenums flow checked and the
flow IS NOT AFFECTED, as compared to other
upper plenums, by the relief for the
turbo and any turbo up through a TA 49 will
fit, too. I won't be selling these, but maybe
Brian (Bweavy), or Race Jace will step in?
I would like to know if there is any interest
in these plenums, if you guys are interested?

Do you have pictures that I can see what I would be working with?

I will try to get some .
I can't post them, but if you
will send me your e mail, I'll send
you a pic or 2.

Im suprised. 2.5 seems kinda small. anyone else have comments, or is that the popular opinion.

running 3" hot and cold on mine but I am running pt6765rh which is a 3" outlet anyways. Just need to make up your mind as to what you want to do. Every car that I usually do IC piping on is 2.5" hotside and 3" cold side.

dee:cool:

Im suprised. 2.5 seems kinda small. anyone else have comments, or is that the popular opinion.

2.5" will cause no measurable restriction on a stock or TA33 turbo setup. Look at the old Spearco setups, they used 2.25" piping. I went 110mph on a very mild tune with it. If you had a large turbo and you were flowing a lot of air I could understand the concern. My dad's car went 10.70s with an old Kenne-Bell Big boy intercooler (small by today's standards) and 2.5" plumbing.

Good to know, It will save me lots of money just going with 2.5. now I just need to worry about reclocking the turbo, and bending the pipe to go behind the turbo and enter the intake manifold.

Good to know, It will save me lots of money just going with 2.5. now I just need to worry about reclocking the turbo, and bending the pipe to go behind the turbo and enter the intake manifold.
Do it man!!! Post up some pics when you get it done:cool:

dee:biggrin:

2.5" will cause no measurable restriction on a stock or TA33 turbo setup. Look at the old Spearco setups, they used 2.25" piping. I went 110mph on a very mild tune with it. If you had a large turbo and you were flowing a lot of air I could understand the concern. My dad's car went 10.70s with an old Kenne-Bell Big boy intercooler (small by today's standards) and 2.5" plumbing.

+1 very good info here.

Do it man!!! Post up some pics when you get it done:cool:

dee:biggrin:

Time is the only issue. I need to find time to install the alky kit first (Priority) and I need to look at the engine compartment and decide if I want to get that Black intercooler pipeing or just the polished aluminum. I do know that once I pick the intercooler, I am painting the face black so it seems inconspicous through the grill.

Time is the only issue. I need to find time to install the alky kit first (Priority) and I need to look at the engine compartment and decide if I want to get that Black intercooler pipeing or just the polished aluminum. I do know that once I pick the intercooler, I am painting the face black so it seems inconspicous through the grill.

I agree, I have mine tucked away to where you almost can't see it at all if you are not looking for it. I like it.

Attachments

• HPIM0604 [640x480].JPG
    HPIM0604 [640x480].JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 227
  • HPIM0603 [640x480].JPG
    HPIM0603 [640x480].JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 235
very very cool installation (pun intended :biggrin: ) and probably a bit more effective without messing with tranny/oil/coolant temps compared to how everybody else's intercooler is mounted. can you post some pics topside when you get a chance?

Corky Bell, author of "Maximum Boost" recommends sizing intercooling piping to 450 ft/second velocity. Maximum airflow can be approximated by multiplying the desired BHP by 1.5. Both can be found on page 61 of the book.

Conrad C.

very very cool installation (pun intended :biggrin: ) and probably a bit more effective without messing with tranny/oil/coolant temps compared to how everybody else's intercooler is mounted. can you post some pics topside when you get a chance?

Sure, but sorry for the mess. The ol' T is resting for a bit, lol

Attachments

• HPIM0817 [640x480].JPG
    HPIM0817 [640x480].JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 210
  • HPIM0818 [640x480].JPG
    HPIM0818 [640x480].JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 217