You can type here any text you want

What TC to use??? (sorry long post)

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Donniejr81

I am getting ready to start building an 84GN clone with an intercooled 87 turbo setup. I have a buddy at a performance shop who will sell me a TC at HIS wholesale cost no markup. Here's some backround on my plans. 84 Regal with 3.73 rear, 2004r rebuilt to GN specs with mild shift kit, 87 turbo and intercooler, no cat with single 2 1/2 exhuast going into Dynomax crossflow muffler, Lunati Voodoo cam with .426 lift and 250 duration. Will a stock TC suffice for my setup considering the 3.73 gear, or show i go back with a 3.42 gear and slightly higher stall? I already have a stock GN convertor. I'm new to the turbo buicks, and dont need to pull the wheels or anything, but I do want to embarrass my little brother's 289 hi-po powered Cobra Mustang. Any ideas?? Maybe a little more aggressive cam with a step above stock TC? I'm wanting streetablility, but the Mustang-embarrassing factor as well. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks guys.

For starters:
More info on the cam??
I'd do the 3.42 gear.
The T/C deal is where you can "make/break" the performance.
As w/ most guys, the initial setup is never enough, and then the added performance is at the head of the list.
I'd plan on:
The stock turbo won't "git'r done" for long.. A bigger turbo, and whamo!, U R looking at another converter change.
I'd run the stocker, then as you upgraded, make a new verter part of the program...

To start id base my build around a stock turbo Regal. Which means stock or very close to stock cam and stock lockup converter. Do not play games with the cam. 206/206 is the largest you should use. A naturally aspirated 289 isnt much of a challenge with a few mods on a stock TR.

Yeah I'm gonna stay pretty conservative with the cam after what I've been reading. So, a 3.42 gear and slightly hotter than stock cam, should suffice? Any suggestions on TC stall speed, and cam?

If you really want to live with the stock turbo and intercooler I highly suggest an alky kit will make up for the inefficiency of the stock pieces and help with the embarassment factor.
The stock D5 convertor is a pretty stout peice and is well matched for the car.
I agree w/ the 3.42 rear and small cam profile unless you have head work/ larger displacment/ bigger turbo.
Oh yeah all the suggestions in the world wont do jack if you cant hook so make sure you have nice sticky tires.

Back