You can type here any text you want

What the heck is this thing??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

bumpinregal

Ok guys. Were gonna try and do this without a picture first. If I dont have an anwser by tonight ill snap a picture. There is a sensor???? or something on my passenger valve cover. The electrical plug is red and it has two vacuum lines going to it. What is it. by the way its a 87 gn. I bit more history. When I got the car the vacuum lines were disconnected to this device and one of them is broke off. The car seems to run fine? Thanks in advance. Scottie:cool:

We don't need no stinking peeeektures!:biggrin:

+1 on the boost solenoid.

You probably have a manual boost controller, rendering the stock solenoid useless.
Well the bad news is I dont have a manual boost controller!!?? What does it all mean?? hehe I run about 12 psi of boost. Should this be hooked up. I would assume yes. Oh yeah you guys are good. that didnt take long at all. :eek: Thanks Scottie

You probably have a vacuum line running from the wastegate straight to the compressor housing vacuum fitting allowing the wastegate to control the boost without the use of the solenoid. Should be fine. Do you have an adjustable wastegate? How bout a aftermarket chip?

This is the proper way to hook up a stock solenoid. I use an RJC boost controller myself. My solenoid just sits there plugged in, but with no vacuum lines attached. Someone else posted these pics at some time. I just saved them for reference.

Attachments

• 2644620950049674534LQDWxT_ph.jpg
    2644620950049674534LQDWxT_ph.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 608
  • 2832811270049674534fJrBTW_ph.jpg
    2832811270049674534fJrBTW_ph.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 608
You probably have a vacuum line running from the wastegate straight to the compressor housing vacuum fitting allowing the wastegate to control the boost without the use of the solenoid. Should be fine. Do you have an adjustable wastegate? How bout a aftermarket chip?

Well I have a chip for sure and the wastegate has the threaded rod on it so I would assume it is adjustable? Sorry Ive only had the car a month or so. Can I get a bit more boost by adjusting it??:confused:

This is the proper way to hook up a stock solenoid. I use an RJC boost controller myself. My solenoid just sits there plugged in, but with no vacuum lines attached.

Ah yes that makes it quite easy to see whats going on. Thanks

Well I have a chip for sure and the wastegate has the threaded rod on it so I would assume it is adjustable? Sorry Ive only had the car a month or so. Can I get a bit more boost by adjusting it??:confused:

One turn will equal about 1lb of boost. Do you have a scan tool? I wouldn't get too crazy with the boost. Do you have the proper Y fitting and hoses in the pic above? The solenoid may be bad and previous owner bypassed it. I would get a manual controller to set and control the boost and not worry about the solenoid. The replacements are getting pricey.

One turn will equal about 1lb of boost. Do you have a scan tool? I wouldn't get too crazy with the boost. Do you have the proper Y fitting and hoses in the pic above? The solenoid may be bad and previous owner bypassed it. I would get a manual controller to set and control the boost and not worry about the solenoid. The replacements are getting pricey.

Ok I dont have a scan tool. and my connections have no Y in them. The hose goes from the wastegate to Something else with no y in it. Thanks:confused:

the only draw back by not having a stock selenoid bleeder or anytime of manual boost controller is that the car will be very slow to spool, right now the way yours is connected is called tuner style and yes, you can bring up the boost by turning in the wastegate rod inwards, just be carefull about it, go 1 turn at a time and then check boost, if you dont have alky injection or running good fuel dont go past over 15 psi of boost on pump gas or will be bye bye headgasket..

the only draw back by not having a stock selenoid bleeder or anytime of manual boost controller is that the car will be very slow to spool, right now the way yours is connected is called tuner style and yes, you can bring up the boost by turning in the wastegate rod inwards, just be carefull about it, go 1 turn at a time and then check boost, if you dont have alky injection or running good fuel dont go past over 15 psi of boost on pump gas or will be bye bye headgasket..

So would I be better off buying a cheap $20 manual boost controller or trying to get the factory on working? Im on a tight budget this month. It does spool extremly slow. I have only drove a few of these cars but i could tell something wasnt right. Thanks

As Promised you can see the line goes down under to the wastegate and them loops over and goes to the output of the turbo. Let me know whats up.

DSC00402.jpg

DSC00405.jpg

You are alright with what you got. I would probably get a manual boost controller from RJC for better control. The RJC boost control will eliminate the turbo lag also. It's an easy install and worth the 50 bucks.

You are alright with what you got. I would probably get a manual boost controller from RJC for better control. The RJC boost control will eliminate the turbo lag also. It's an easy install and worth the 50 bucks.

Sounds good Ill order one today. Thanks for everyones help!!!:cool:

I am glad someone brought this up. I have the same problem on the TR. I will check and see if the hoses are routed properly tonite... Big thanx...

Back