You can type here any text you want

What timing chain when doing bigger cam?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Wahoo

Just curious if a particular timing chain is used when going with a roller cam kit?

Thx

Be more concerned about the timing gears as the cheap cast or powder ones will wear out quickly and you then have a loose chain.

Billet steel gears should be used especially with a roller cam which needs much more valve spring pressure than a flat tappet cam.

Be more concerned about the timing gears as the cheap cast or powder ones will wear out quickly and you then have a loose chain.

Billet steel gears should be used especially with a roller cam which needs much more valve spring pressure than a flat tappet cam.
Is there a timing chain kit that comes with new/billet gears? Or are all these things ordered separately?

Get the rollmaster with the billet gears and Iwis chain. Like nick said the cast gears are very soft and dont fair well.
Available for line bored engines which may need a tighter chain as well. I have used many of these rollmasters.
Does your cam use a stock type chain and gear set or does it use the old odd fire style set up cause you will need to know this?
Weber racing,and Full throttle sell these maybe others as well http://www.romacusa.com/

Last edited:
Get the rollmaster with the billet gears and Iwis chain. Like nick said the cast gears are very soft and dont fair well.
Available for line bored engines which may need a tighter chain as well. I have used many of these rollmasters.
Does your cam use a stock type chain and gear set or does it use the old odd fire style set up cause you will need to know this?
Weber racing,and Full throttle sell these maybe others as well http://www.romacusa.com/
My 85 t type has stock cam and timing chain i assume, i plan to build it or refresh it in the next few months.

I've found Cloyes billet to be a better timing set.

I have installed a couple hundred timing sets and am just curious, but please tell me why you think the Cloyes is better than a Rollmaster, or any other set?

They both use the same chain that is made in Germany, and I think Pro Gear is also using that chain?

I snapped a rollmaster and replaced with a cloyes little over a year ago. You may remember that. Put a good 10,000 miles on it. I recently pulled motor to fix some things and the chain showed very little stretch.

I snapped a rollmaster and replaced with a cloyes little over a year ago. You may remember that. Put a good 10,000 miles on it. I recently pulled motor to fix some things and the chain showed very little stretch.
How much spring pressure are you running and do you use the odd fire nose set-up and if you dont mind refreshing me what was the cause of failure on the chain? Thanks.

I am not sure if all later Rollmaster sets use the iwis chain, but for the past few years all the RM sets from TA come with this chain.

A few years ago after trashed 1/2 dozen or so chains I met with a rep from Cloyes as they just started to use the iwis chain in many applications, and had seen no issues on engines in excess of 2000 HP.

He sent me an iwis chain and wanted me to run it and they would test it. The chain was run past the limit of runs of all my broken ones, and the test results showed no stretch or deformation.

Since this chain is available as a single item, we replace them any time an engine is freshened, and have not heard about any these chains breaking.

Rollmaster has an option for iwis chain. I opted for the Rollmaster billet set with the Iwis chain for my Weber billet cam.

I am not sure if all later Rollmaster sets use the iwis chain, but for the past few years all the RM sets from TA come with this chain.

A few years ago after trashed 1/2 dozen or so chains I met with a rep from Cloyes as they just started to use the iwis chain in many applications, and had seen no issues on engines in excess of 2000 HP.

He sent me an iwis chain and wanted me to run it and they would test it. The chain was run past the limit of runs of all my broken ones, and the test results showed no stretch or deformation.

Since this chain is available as a single item, we replace them any time an engine is freshened, and have not heard about any these chains breaking.
Agreed nick the Iwis RM combo is an excellent piece.....This is the only time I have heard of failure on one.....I will try and dig up his old thread so I can see the particulars of his failed one. I wonder what chain is used in the billet cloyes set?

The only rollmaster chains I have seen problems with were the older ROMAC chains. The IWIS are great and come on them now

Back