You can type here any text you want

What turbo to use.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

chris kirk

I'm getting ready to purchase a turbo for my new motor I had built. I have a T/A stroker motor that was built for me last year. It seems lately there is more discussion about Borg Werner turbos. Is that a better match then the PTE? As far as price goes it's really not a factor, however, it's not something that I would like to do more then once. I'm trying not to have a garage full of turbos that I can't use. I've read about people using Borg Werner turbos and matching different turbines with different wheels and exhaust housings and so on..... I try to understand it but it gives me a headache. I know nothing about the technical end of how a turbo works but it seems like they need to be pretty specific according to your build, performance level and vehicle usage. Whether it's lag or back pressure or turbine housing..... Any information, help, guidance would be appreciated. I hear so many different things and it would be nice to have one consensus. Thank you gentlemen.

Chris, there is a huge range of turbos that can work.. It would help to know what your goals are and whether any class racing requirements exist if it's for racing.

Generally though, it's nice to go just as big as you need to go, but have something that is not hard for you to spool. The more you share about your engine, the better, and also helpful if you let the tuner pick the turbo, depending if they actually have experience tuning on our small motors.

It'll be hard to have consensus here unless you have a specific goal or class in mind-----really. High 8s or low 9s with a 67mm all the way to 7s with an 88mm. Either way takes combo and tuning and specific goal in mind.

There is a lot of good stuff out there from just about everybody. It is difficult to give an exact answer to who has the best turbo since each manufacture seems to have there area of specialty. Precision obviously has about the best selection of 3 bolt turbo's out there. I went with a Borg based units for my application for my own reasons and feel it offered the best turbo for my end goal. In my opinion you just need to start with a goal in mind as well as a general idea on turbo platform, (3 bolt, T4,T5) to give some direction.
Allan G.

X2 ^^ You need a goal and cam info ( you had a long block built correct?) and you will probably get a torque converter recommendation also. Combo,combo,combo.. Bison/Turbobitt(?) often speaks of the Borg turbos. Click your ruby red slippers 3 times ,say the magic phrase, rub the magic lamp, get 3 wishes, what ever you have to do, make sure you get in touch with those guys. Just kidding it's Sunday morning humor! I told it would work he chimed in while I was writing this! Give me the lamp back!

Just to give more opinion, I think the Borg units at least need to be looked at when selecting a turbo. Although they are only available in journal units I found mine to b more responsive to my Turbonectics single BB unit. with the same Turbine dimensions and similar A/R. If your stuck on the BB thing then a Borg unit is off the table.
AG.

Just to give more opinion, I think the Borg units at least need to be looked at when selecting a turbo. Although they are only available in journal units I found mine to b more responsive to my Turbonectics single BB unit. with the same Turbine dimensions and similar A/R. If your stuck on the BB thing then a Borg unit is off the table.
AG.
The EFR series is ball bearings with titanium aluminide turbine and will support 90lbs/min which is way more than most on here could ever use. For larger stuff the value of BW stuff is hard to beat

Question for Chris..this engine has stage @ heads of champion /TA style heads? As for turbos The garrett ball bearing cartridge is the most durable bearing system on the market, hence the price..You may want to look into the garrett stuff gt42, gt47, etc, if your looking for durability .

Last edited:
Question for Chris..this engine has stage @ heads of champion /TA style heads? As for turbos The garrett ball bearing cartridge is the most durable bearing system on the market, hence the price..You may want to look into the garrett stuff gt42, gt47, etc, if your looking for durability .
Norbs,
Lets take your turbo for example. Home much does it go for new ? I see the 82mm MFS Borg unit that will support 1300 HP on sale now for $1750. I would be willing to bet spool is comparable. That seems to raise the bar on being hard t beat.
AG.

Norbs,
Lets take your turbo for example. Home much does it go for new ? I see the 82mm MFS Borg unit that will support 1300 HP on sale now for $1750. I would be willing to bet spool is comparable. That seems to raise the bar on being hard t beat.
AG.
True they are pricey ....is the borg BB?

ScreenShot015.jpg

Gentlemen, thank you for the feed back. Here's some info on the motor. T/a aluminum stroker, 9:1 compression, T/a heads, Hydro 224 cam, Champion race intake with a 72mmTB, T/a SS 4 bolt headers, RJC 5" DP, FAST XFI, Moran 160lb. fuel injectors (E85), Turbonetics New Gen waste gate, AMS 1000 boost controller.

Maybe he should use the same turbo forced fed is using, seems to work well , even with the 75MM turbine....

Thank you for the response.

My goals are kinda difficult to say because the motor has never been set up and ran. It's still on an engine stand from when it was finished and shipped last year. I'm not looking to race the car in any class (at least not yet, maybe in the future) but I would like to get the most performance out the car that I could. It will be a street car as much as it will be a tract car. Or vice verse. However you want to say it. Once I get it set up the way it should, then probably a little more track time then street time. I realize there are sacrifices I will have to make on the performance side in order to have drive ability for street use just as I realize that there will be sacrifices on the drive ability side for track performance. The car is purely a hobby that might get driven 300 to 400 miles a year. I hope that makes sense.

"Maybe he should use the same turbo forced fed is using, seems to work well , even with the 75MM turbine...."

What application is this?

Damn, thanks Norbs, I was starting to think you hated me.:p
I wouldn't overlook the 75mm turbine, especially in a street/ strip car. I wouldn't overlook the 68mm turbine either if looking to run in the mid to low 9's.

And all of the parts could be bought tomorrow from Weber racing. The difference is I am running a solid lifter, heavy spring, and more compression than the average build. And I stress the tiny details, port alignment, smooth transitions, etc.

Back