What turbo? With my mods

2GNS4ME

Hello All,

I have the following mods and would like to know what turbo to upgrade to? Let me know your thoughts.. TIA

Completey stock long block with 60k miles
THDP
Fuel regulator
Translator plus with extender chip
72lb injector
Walbro 340 fuel pump (hot wired)
SMC Alky Injection
full race trans with 9.5 convertor 3200-3400
tony Dequick V2 front mount

Currently have a TE44. Spools up like there is no tommorow but I would like to upgrade turbo.

Anywhere from a 54-63mm will suit your needs with no BB. If you have the money go with 70bb ptrim. Then if you ever build the motor.....you got a turbo to push some air.

Precision Gt6152... should put you well into the 10s and that converter is more than plenty. You might also want to consider some sort of intercooler upgrade...

The GT6152 would be my turbo of choice for my car.

Precision Gt6152... should put you well into the 10s and that converter is more than plenty. You might also want to consider some sort of intercooler upgrade...

Oops I forgot I am running an TonyDequick V2 front mount. Sorry

is GT6152 a small shaft?

IMHO... it would take at least ported heads.... and quite alot of tuning. There aren't too many people on this board that have broke into the 10's yet with a 6152.... let alone gone well into the 10's. Not saying it can't be done.... but to borrow Grumpy's quote... "they just don't fall in your lap"

Check my old thread out on the 6152... lots of members sharing experiences... if anyone is interested...

6152 thread

HTH

Is budget an issue? I picked up a h2o cooled te45a for 600 bucks used. It's a 66mm turbo. Those 72s could handle that easily. I haven't gotten thru with install yet but I expect some decent #s

IMHO... it would take at least ported heads.... and quite alot of tuning. There aren't too many people on this board that have broke into the 10's yet with a 6152.... let alone gone well into the 10's. Not saying it can't be done.... but to borrow Grumpy's quote... "they just don't fall in your lap"

Check my old thread out on the 6152... lots of members sharing experiences... if anyone is interested...

6152 thread

HTH

Oh I know they wont just fall into his lap, but the turbo is 10s capable while still having decent street manners. It didnt sound like a big shaft race turbo was what he was looking for, so I suggested that turbo.

I SECOND WHAT BLAZER406 SAID .i spent all summer trying to get to the 10s . had the best tunner in the country, jack cotton and still didnt quite get there,and i got a turbo capable of the 9s . now we didnt run it on the edge either.we had a safe tune .point is ,it take a lot of time and tunning .p.s. had one of the best drivers shake it down in sully also.

Denny:

Before I got too far into anything I would take a serious gut check on what you want to do. The faster cars tear stuff up, and constantly have to be maintained and tweaked to keep them running right and to keep them together. I know you’re not a grease monkey like Mike, Prasad, Surej, and myself. I think if you tried to set up something too radical you would wind up getting disgusted with it in no time, and the car would be sold at a huge loss.

With your BMW and your Vette it appeared to me that you are more into clean, smooth, and slick looking cars that are both fast and reliable. A bottom line time slip is not the most important thing to you. I think if you broke away from this and tried to build a time slip car you would not be very happy with it at all.

With that stuff said I think you could come up with a good idea of what exactly you would want out of your car. This would include every thing from time slips, to idle quality, drive ability, responsiveness, reliability, ect ect. Once you got these nailed down and prioritized then we could come up with a combo targeted to score as highly as possible from an over all stand point.

I’m currently finishing up a motor project for another friend. I would have some time to help you figure out a combo. I actually have a combo I was starting to put together for myself before I decided to put a stage motor in my T-Type. It’s a pretty interesting set up that I think you may be interested in. I already sold most of the set up but I still have two of the main pieces left. One of the left over pieces is a brand new PTE dual ball bearing 61 turbo with a p-trim turbine wheel. This turbo also has the bigger TSO4 4” inlet 2.5” outlet compressor housing. This turbo should have very similar spool up as your 44 but hit real similar to a 63. This turbo was picked to go with a set of ported irons, and a custom ground austemper roller cam. This roller was spec’d out to be smooth idling, easy on valve train components, make good midrange hp (similar to a 212 non roller), and it should also promote good spool up.

What I was shooting for was a high quality, smooth, reliable, and responsive mid to lower 11 second pump gas and alky setup. With the wick turned up it would still be enough hardware to go high 10 hunting, but I really wasn’t worried about that much. That mid 11’ish range seams to be the sweat spot for built 200’s, simple fuel systems, simple fuel management systems, simple alky kits ect ect. A lot of supporting pieces can stay pretty simple and economical in this range. The money you save can be used to buy higher quality pieces like ball bearing turbos and roller cams ect. This mid 11 range is also the NHRA cut off for not having a cage …..

If you want give me a call and we could chat about some scenarios and options for you to consider.

Jason
(309)253-6124

Dont do a bigger turbo without heads. No matter how big the turbo is, it can only push as much air as the bottleneck in the system. Stick with the 44 and max it out.

Jason

Dont do a bigger turbo without heads. No matter how big the turbo is, it can only push as much air as the bottleneck in the system. Stick with the 44 and max it out.

Jason

That is pretty good advice IMHO..... I see stock headed cars (with a TE44) here on the board in the mid 11's fairly routinely.....

IMHO.... there is alot of $$ difference between mid 11's and high 10's..... you really need to step up the hardware to get into the 10's with any regularity.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I really appreciate it. Im gonna rethink things through before I make my next move.

Jay
What up brother I thought you were suppose to come down to Prasad's couple of weeks ago so I cleared out my whole day and what happens you dont end up showing ...hehehe. I will give you a call soon.

D.

I SECOND WHAT BLAZER406 SAID .i spent all summer trying to get to the 10s . had the best tunner in the country, jack cotton and still didnt quite get there,and i got a turbo capable of the 9s . now we didnt run it on the edge either.we had a safe tune .point is ,it take a lot of time and tunning .p.s. had one of the best drivers shake it down in sully also.

Steve are you talking about the car in your sig not running 10's??:confused:

Thanks Guys for all your help (especially you Jason) but I took advantage of Mike (full throttles) sale and bout a GTB6776 with 63 housing. Only problem is that it will take 3 weeks (exhaust housing is on back order). The reason I choice this is that my car should spool this turbo no problem since its BB and when I upgrade my heads n cam the turbo should complement them really well.

Any details on installing a BB turbo.