You can type here any text you want

What will my shortblock take??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I'd say I'd drive over the crankshaft before I went 9.60.

I guess I'll have some idea how the car runs tonight because I opened my big mouth and have a run lined up with an 03-04 Mach 1 with full bolt-on's a big converter and spraying a 150 shot. The Mach 1 runs 7.0-7.2 in the 1/8th at the track, and it works on the street too. There's supposed to be a heads/cam/..spray? C5 corvette and a heads/cam LS1 Trans Am there too.

turbows6 said:
........ I opened my big mouth and have a run lined up with an 03-04 Mach 1 with full bolt-on's a big converter and spraying a 150 shot. The Mach 1 runs 7.0-7.2 in the 1/8th at the track, and it works on the street too. There's supposed to be a heads/cam/..spray? C5 corvette and a heads/cam LS1 Trans Am there too.

Pass the butter please......

Keep us updated....

This is kind of a town vs town rivalry, but everyone here is either broke or got their doors blown off the last time. Consensus is that the white Mach 1 is probably the fastest they've got, but certainly he has the biggest ego about how quick his car is.

This is kind of a town vs town rivalry, but everyone here is either broke or got their doors blown off the last time. Consensus is that the white Mach 1 is probably the fastest they've got, but certainly he has the biggest ego about how quick his car is.

Consensus doesnt meant dick. Go out and practice where your racing and hammer him.

Ok, here's how the showdown went. I got there and the heads/cam C5 asked if I wanted to run him first since he was on stock wheels with drag radials. I said I'd rather just run the fastest thing they had. I knew that was the Mach 1 that runs 11.2's and 11.3's and races on the street and bracket classes a bunch. They said "well alright" with an air of "it's your suicide".

I did a quick burn out just long enough to clean the tires, but didn't get much heat in them. I didn't think I was pushing the car too hard off the line, but it spun like crazy. I pedaled the car twice, but really wasn't too far back after pedaling the second time and then I got traction. I looking at his headlights disappear in the rear view mirror pretty soon. I was ahead by at least 4-5 cars by the end of the quarter. If I had hooked I would have put 8-10 cars on him.

Ok, here's how the showdown went. I got there and the heads/cam C5 asked if I wanted to run him first since he was on stock wheels with drag radials. I said I'd rather just run the fastest thing they had. I knew that was the Mach 1 that runs 11.2's and 11.3's and races on the street and bracket classes a bunch. They said "well alright" with an air of "it's your suicide".

I did a quick burn out just long enough to clean the tires, but didn't get much heat in them. I didn't think I was pushing the car too hard off the line, but it spun like crazy. I pedaled the car twice, but really wasn't too far back after pedaling the second time and then I got traction. I looking at his headlights disappear in the rear view mirror pretty soon. I was ahead by at least 4-5 cars by the end of the quarter. If I had hooked I would have put 8-10 cars on him.
How big is his ego now?

He didn't bother asking to run again. I think he knew it would have been a lot worse. There were probably 20 people there watching that expected me to loose. They couldn't believe it :biggrin:

I need to get some seat time. I drove the car to the track Saturday to see what it would do and I felt pretty good about it. I drove over an hour to the track, teched in, and immediately pulled the car into the lanes without even letting everything cool off. First pass ever with the car it went 10.92 @ 123.x with a vacuum launch (1.66 60'). Second pass I tried a little too much with 12#'s and it spun off the line, but still went 10.85 @ 124.x (1.65 60')

I felt the car would have pulled more MPH. I went to add a degree of timing and realized that I had made a mistake and was running 22* in 1-2 gear and only 16* of timing in 3-4 gear :eek: I bumped the timing to 20.5* 3-4 gear and went back to the lanes.

I tried to hold the car at 8#'s off the line third pass, but when I hit the trans brake it pushed me back, pulling my foot off the throttle, and went a 1.93 60'. I knew it would be a bad pass, but it still went almost 104 in the 1/8th, and went 11.0 @ 128.5 in the 1/4 (not too bad mph since I totally lifted on the throttle right off the line.)

Another problem I had is that I wanted to lock the converter in 2nd gear, but for some reason when I hit the switch it won't lock up until the 2-3 shift, and when it does it bogs the motor down and takes a couple seconds to get back into the power band, so I know it's loosing a bunch around mid track from that. I'm going to ask in the transmission section, but I think the acceleration may be pulling the fluid off the pickup. (It has a stock pan, and I had the fluid level inside the factory recommended range) Lockup works fine when driving normally.

Hey, at the end of the day, I drove to the track and ran 10.85 on a crappy pass and then drove home. I know this car has WAY more in it.

Do you think a ported TTA head can flow enough air to run 9's ? I think that may be the reason aka brick wall TTA's run into @ a certain point.

It went 11.0 lifting off the throttle and 1.93 60' bogging the motor mid track. Knock .4 off the 60' and that's probably more like .6 through the 1/4, so that's conservatively 10.5. I know it lost a lot when it bogged mid track, so that would put the car into the low 10's for sure. With a gee-whiz 60 foot (1.4x) I think it could possibly eek into the 9's on 27# with a CPT66. I could probably pick up substantial power with a different turbo, but I don't think I'm pushing the 66 to the max now.

It went 11.0 lifting off the throttle and 1.93 60' bogging the motor mid track. Knock .4 off the 60' and that's probably more like .6 through the 1/4, so that's conservatively 10.5. I know it lost a lot when it bogged mid track, so that would put the car into the low 10's for sure. With a gee-whiz 60 foot (1.4x) I think it could possibly eek into the 9's on 27# with a CPT66. I could probably pick up substantial power with a different turbo, but I don't think I'm pushing the 66 to the max now.

Once you hit roughly 145mph in the quarter you will be close to maxing out the 66 compressor. So mid 9's if you have the big ex wheel.

It's got a .63 exhaust housing. I think it really makes the car harder to launch in a way.

Back