You can type here any text you want

whats sooooo good about a 4.1?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

83turbomon

Starvin Like Marvin...
whats so good about a 4.1 anyways, that happens to be all I hear is 4.1. Is it really that much better than a 3.8?

Ill probably get a beater anyway..... so it dont matter.

well it all comes down to potential.

the 4.1 has a bigger bore. which in general equals bigger engine, which if you go by the ol'standby - there is no replacement for displacement.

I see it as a bigger bore that offers less valve shrouding. which equals better breathing, which makes more power.

the downside? well the 4.1 has a weak deck.... and headgaskets are a buicks nemisis..... so the weak deck offers little to help in the clamping of the head. most would say a 4.1 block is good to about 450-500 hp..... but then your on borrowed time.

the main advantage is, it doesnt have to work as hard to make the same hp number (though limited to 450-500) especially in a NA combo or a street driven engine.

A.j.

IMO, nothing:)

Hey Mr Big Bucks.:tongue::tongue::tongue: Some of us just can't afford the toys you have.:smile:

At the power levels we're operating at the larger displacement helps make power in the car. We aren't trying for 1K HP like some one I just quoted.:rolleyes:

At the power levels we're operating at the larger displacement helps make power in the car. We aren't trying for 1K HP like some one I just quoted.

If you only want to go mid 10's you should be okay. I have just heard of too many spilt down the middle... I just hate to see someone spend the money to machine the thing and get it right and one good shot of extra boost and BLOOM;)

well it all comes down to potential.

the 4.1 has a bigger bore. which in general equals bigger engine, which if you go by the ol'standby - there is no replacement for displacement.

I see it as a bigger bore that offers less valve shrouding. which equals better breathing, which makes more power.

the downside? well the 4.1 has a weak deck.... and headgaskets are a buicks nemisis..... so the weak deck offers little to help in the clamping of the head. most would say a 4.1 block is good to about 450-500 hp..... but then your on borrowed time.

the main advantage is, it doesnt have to work as hard to make the same hp number (though limited to 450-500) especially in a NA combo or a street driven engine.

A.j.

That's where im trying to get (450 - 500 hp mark) I'll go to the track every blue moon but my car will be a street daily driver well it will be swapping the daily driver duties with the next car Im getting!:tongue:

Let's keep in mind we are in the before black section. Nobody is running 10's here or splitting blocks.

We don't have many options performance-wise. So if you are rebuilding a motor, you might as well get a 4.1 and start there. The 4.1 can more than handle the power that this forum will be making.

My goal is 12's with a carb/turbo. I know the 4.1 will handle that. 4.1 block, ported heads, and roller cam should be a good foundation to work with.

One of these days you're going to have to show us what you've been up to Rich. I know you have a 4.1 that you've either been planning on or in the process of building.

Back