You can type here any text you want

Whats the best stock replacement axles?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Turbo6Smackdown

I plan on a Detroit Locker rear end, with replacement axles. What's a good factory drop in fit replacement axle I could use? I don't want to have to modify anything, just bolt it in and go.

Well if your buying a new carrier (Detroit, Eaton, ect) order it for 30 spline and get the axles to match. The spline count is dictated by the carrier. Stock is 26 spline if I remember correctly. The higher the count the stronger the axle. I have a set of Mosers in mine and have not had an issue with 1.5x sec 60' times and a trans break. With a stock spline count and C clips still in place.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Well if your buying a new carrier (Detroit, Eaton, ect) order it for 30 spline and get the axles to match. The spline count is dictated by the carrier. Stock is 26 spline if I remember correctly. The higher the count the stronger the axle. I have a set of Mosers in mine and have not had an issue with 1.5x sec 60' times and a trans break. With a stock spline count and C clips still in place.

Im looking to make my setup stronger too, ive always heard to eliminate the c clips?

I believe the factory is 28 spline, but in another axle thread I was reading, it said that the higher the spline count, the bigger O.D. the actual axle shaft is. So if a 30's bigger, will it fit in the little hole that you slide the axle into the axle tube through then? Sure the carrier's bigger to accept but, but is the actual entrance hole now?

The bearing/axle seal is quite a bit larger than the splined end of the axle. There should be no issue with 30 spline but I would check with someone like Moser just the same. You are correct as far as the spline count meaning the shaft is larger. To eliminate the C clips you have to change the bearings to a press on and I believe change the ends of the axle tube on the rear. There may be a bolt in C clip eliminator kit avalible but I don't have first hand experiance with any than didn't require cutting the ends and welding on new ones so I can't speak on how they may hold up and seal/leak. Jon

Sent from my LG-C800 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Get a hold of monzaz on the v8buick.com he can get you set up. I'll look and see if I can fine his web site.

Edit: jdrace.com

Stock 28 spline. If you can swing it the 30 spline eaton is stronger. Same price as the 28 spline. Good time to upgrade all.

Sounds complicated. I'm just looking for a bolt and go. Aftermarket wheel re-inventions NEVER work for me. Ever. It's just how my world works. Because when it fails, which it absolutely will, I've noone to turn to for help, because they've never seen a custom car before. The people around here only deal with factory cars, and the custom shops are all run by the most incompetent people you've ever seen in your life.

IF I were replacing the carrier (which will require setting up the gear) I would go with 30 spline. I put stock replacment axles in my 86' and then a year later a new carrier so I stayed with stock sizes. Just my .02 Jon

If u want the stock replacement axles 28 spline drop in just call summit or Jegs 250$ c- clip. Just a stronger than stock. That is the way I went for now.

Just put a set of moser axles in it and go,no need to upgrade carrier unless you are consistently busting sub 1.5 60' times. Now if you have troubles with the carrier that is another story and could upgrade. Me personally i put new bearings and clutches in mine with moser axles and have had no problems at all.

So with 10.5" slicks on pavement and about 10 psi at launch my stock carrier will hold that consistently?

So with 10.5" slicks on pavement and about 10 psi at launch my stock carrier will hold that consistently?
For a while.

There are a bunch of cars running the number with stock 8.5 ten bolt underneath. I think it is on borrowed time as an axle exit pretty much requires rear quarter panel work.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

I went with eaton ... stock unit is for 28 spline and im sure its on orrowed time .... I had many many 1.5-6 60fts with stock axles an eaton but I didn't want to ruin my 1/4 so I bought a 30 alpine eaton and 30 spline moser axles

Back