What's the factory engine color on an 87 GN?

"Turbo-T"

V6 on steroids
Hey...I'm going to start back up again a 1:24 scale model 87 GN I have. And I want to paint the engine to resemble what an 87 GN engine looked like factory.

I am needing to know what color the block was....what color the oil pan was...what color were the heads?

What color were the valve covers...or the intake?

If anyone can provide pics of what a bone stock 87 GN engine looked like from the factory would be a big plus.

Thanks! (I'll post pics in the lounge as I progress!)

Blocks, heads, oil pans, water pumps, front covers are all painted black. The upper & lower intakes are silver and the valve covers are natural aluminum.

Here's a photo but the up pipe should be natural steel finish.

1962-1996-buick-v-6-8.jpg

Thanks, is the black used on the engine of gloss black or flat?

Also you say the valve covers are natural aluminum....I've seen some that are painted the same light grey the oil filler tube is...I take it, that is incorrect?

I think the color is called leaking oil black.;)

The reason why GM switched from the individual division colors(i.e. Olds gold,Chevy red(orange) to black back around 1983 or so was to disguise oil leaks.:rolleyes:

If you look in the Engine Assembly Manual there is a page describing how the engine was painted. After the engine was assembled it was painted black but the installer was to spray around the intake manifold and valve covers. I myself think the valve covers were installed after the motor was painted. I've seen black over spray on the intake but never any on the valve covers. If you're into restoring Corvettes and Muscle Cars than you how fanatical those guys get on getting the correct amount of overspray on those parts. Especially the intake manifold gasket.

Was the water pump black? I thought I remember seeing some low mile GN's and the water pump was it's natural silver finish? Anyone confirm that?

Was the water pump black? I thought I remember seeing some low mile GN's and the water pump was it's natural silver finish? Anyone confirm that?

i have quite a few low mileage cars and the paint isn't the same on any of them-------literally looks like a blind person was given a spray can and told when you hear one roll by spray where you think the front of the engine might be--------in most cases the water pump and oil pump are painted about 75% but some got missed and are mostly silver (alum)------ocasionally you can find a totally black front--------underneath (block/heads) the engines were painted about 50% black and the rest left to rust-------pans seemed to be painted black 100% and is probably the only part that got painted consistently-------some blocks appear to have a light blue paint sloppily "splashed" on the underside over the skimpy black--------generally speaking the 86's seem to be painted better than the 87's...........RC

Why did Chevy switch to corporate blue in 1977?

Well it was called corporate blue for a reason. Every engine was painted that shade of blue not just SBCs. You surely remember the lawsuits from around 1975-6 where those die hard Oldsmobile buyers were pissed about having a Chevy motor under the hood instead of geniune Rocket power. I guess it was one of those deals where the marketing guys were on a different level than the engineers.:confused: I guess you'd be really confused if you were a GMC guy or bought a Pontiac after 1981.

Yeah, I remember that big dispute. Once saw a Pontiac 301 motor in an Olds 88. I wouldn't have liked that either.

Well it was called corporate blue for a reason. Every engine was painted that shade of blue not just SBCs. You surely remember the lawsuits from around 1975-6 where those die hard Oldsmobile buyers were pissed about having a Chevy motor under the hood instead of geniune Rocket power. I guess it was one of those deals where the marketing guys were on a different level than the engineers.:confused: I guess you'd be really confused if you were a GMC guy or bought a Pontiac after 1981.

Actually I'm not old enough to have remembered the law suits. But I do remember hearing years later that some GM customers were angry when they learned the V6 in their 78 Olds Cutlass was a Buick engine, or that "Chevy looking motor" in their 79 Firebird was indeed a 305.

In fact my mother had a 79 Olds Cutlass that they thought was an "Olds 231 V6". They found out different later.

So I guess by painting all engines blue it was supposed to "cover up" what make the engine really was as to make them all look equal???

Which sort of makes me wonder why....GM was putting Chevy inline sixes in Nova copy cats (Pontiac Ventura, Olds Omega, Buick Apollo) as early as '71. Heck I think the Chevy inline six was the base engine for the 71-76 Firebird. So it wasn't like it was anything new.

Alright fellas....critique me on my "work of art"....

GN001.jpg

GN004.jpg

GN007.jpg

The dip stick tube is an off white/greyish color right?

i have quite a few low mileage cars and the paint isn't the same on any of them-------literally looks like a blind person was given a spray can and told when you hear one roll by spray where you think the front of the engine might be--------in most cases the water pump and oil pump are painted about 75% but some got missed and are mostly silver (alum)------ocasionally you can find a totally black front--------underneath (block/heads) the engines were painted about 50% black and the rest left to rust-------pans seemed to be painted black 100% and is probably the only part that got painted consistently-------some blocks appear to have a light blue paint sloppily "splashed" on the underside over the skimpy black--------generally speaking the 86's seem to be painted better than the 87's...........RC

Well what the hell Rich that didn't answer anything!!! lol :D Thanks for your input tho. I'm getting ready to paint the block,heads, and maybe front cover on my 86 so I'm trying to figure out if I should clean the water pump up and leave it or paint it black. I guess either way I can't loose after seeing your response! :) Thanks! :) :cool:

Have to agree with Richard on the inconsistency of paint coverage especially in the late production 87’s. Although I think the intent was for total coverage on the timing cover & water pump. I have noticed that the paint was pronged to peel from that area due to the lack of adherence to the aluminum, that’s easy to see on earlier 80’s model engines as well and they have a lot more paint in that region.
In my opinion the total quality node goes to the 86’s as they just seem to be built better, even down to body panel fitment.

Well what the hell Rich that didn't answer anything!!! lol :D Thanks for your input tho. I'm getting ready to paint the block,heads, and maybe front cover on my 86 so I'm trying to figure out if I should clean the water pump up and leave it or paint it black. I guess either way I can't loose after seeing your response! :) Thanks! :) :cool:

be glad to get you a few pics if you are confused-------works of art they aren't------lawn mowers at wal-mart are painted better...........RC