Whats the trick to get a gbodyparts 3" DP on??

Chrisk

TurboTransAm.com
I think i got some kind of dud DP. bolt holes dont line up. So i noticed it hits the frame and needs to go down more towards the frame for the holes to line up. So i marked it and dented the pipe like i have read everyone does. Well as im beating it, the puck falls off!! :mad: after making some nice sized dents the thing still does not line up. Whats the deal with it? only thing that came to mind was china and walmart. :rolleyes:
whats the warranty on these? how am i supposed to get this puck issue resolved? Wheres Terry Houston!!!

Please help...

Thanks,

Chris

I would have contacted GBody about it....mine fit with no modifications and doesn't hit anything. You could have gotten a dud but maybe you have motor mount problems or something else that isn't right.

I am going to change out the mounts and shocks and go from there..

I would have contacted Brian Weaver 1st and then 2nd, returned it upon his recommendation, but that's just me. I am sure that Brian warranties / guarantees all of his products. HTH

Chris in order for the puck to fall off it would take alot.the weld normally sticks up about an 1/8" in the center.
We have over 390 pipes out there. I just installed 2 nights ago a pipe that wouldn't fit on a customers car.
If you install all 4 bolts loose, & I showed this to my customer. You can actually push the pipe up & down 3/4" for clearance. There is no reason to dent it.
Any problems call or e-mail.

I can only get 1 in and the pipe moves up but it needs to go down to get the others lined up. Its sitting on the frame. Do you think motor mounts will help?

Oh and thanks for chiming in. I wasnt bashing you just a little upset at the time..

Depends on the condition of your mounts. If they're used up then yes. Do yourself a favor though and buy some decent ones. (hr or energy or something) I tried the autozone ones and they were almost as bad as my 16 year oil soaked stockers. I know on my car I did the energy suspension poly body mounts and the HR parts n stuff engine and tranny mounts and I've got room everywhere! It really is amazing how much easier it is to do almost everything under the car. Plus it handles a TON better and the engine doesn't move at all. Also, because I got the "soft" mounts I didn't pick up any vibrations. That's my .02. james

I bought the 3" downpipe last fall and had two issues:

1) It hit the frame

2) When bolted to the exhaust hanger from the trans, it wouldn't bolt properly to the turbo. Instead of a flush fit, it was angled. The flange would touch on the rear of the turbo housing, but was off by about 3/16" at the front. I didn't want to put too much pressure as I have an original uncracked manifold and wanted to keep it that way. Also, it was hard to get all 4 bolts in the turbo (stock turbo) as they appeared to be a little off.

Over the winter did some work and installed poly motor mounts. Now it has 1" of clearance. Obviously the mount caused the clearance issue. However it still didn't line up right at the turbo. So I bolted it to the turbo first and then had to modify the hanger at the trans to get it to fit to the flange on the exhaust without being stressed.

For what it's worth.

I can only get 1 in and the pipe moves up but it needs to go down to get the others lined up. Its sitting on the frame. Do you think motor mounts will help?

Oh and thanks for chiming in. I wasnt bashing you just a little upset at the time..

Give me a call or e-mail me your #. I have been aggrevated myself a few times. When we first were designing this pipe I had 145 cars in stock. We were bolting it up to every car & trying to get it to work on every car out there.
I pretty much came to the conclusion a car will have to have a decent set of motor mounts in order for a down pipe to work. The way it is set up now if you drop it in on a set of tired mounts it will be close to the frame.
That is why the holes are 1 size up so the pipe can be moved 3/4" either way at the end near the test pipe..
New set of HR mounts & you will be pulling down slightly so it will not be close to the heater box. I finally came to the conclusion if you can afford a $400 down pipe you can afford a decent set of motor mounts to replace the 20 year old units.

We could of made it with a lot less swing out on the neck but that is where there is less resisitance. Trying to get the most bang for the buck. We are thinking of re-designing another pipe with less swing like other down pipes on the market but it will be a little bit more restrictive then our current pipe.
I figure this will give customers an option.
Not like we don't have enough irons in the fire:eek:

Let me try a new mount and if that will not work i will give you a call.

Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!

I bought the 3" downpipe last fall and had two issues:

1) It hit the frame

2) When bolted to the exhaust hanger from the trans, it wouldn't bolt properly to the turbo. Instead of a flush fit, it was angled. The flange would touch on the rear of the turbo housing, but was off by about 3/16" at the front. I didn't want to put too much pressure as I have an original uncracked manifold and wanted to keep it that way. Also, it was hard to get all 4 bolts in the turbo (stock turbo) as they appeared to be a little off.

Over the winter did some work and installed poly motor mounts. Now it has 1" of clearance. Obviously the mount caused the clearance issue. However it still didn't line up right at the turbo. So I bolted it to the turbo first and then had to modify the hanger at the trans to get it to fit to the flange on the exhaust without being stressed.

For what it's worth.

You normally bolt it to the turbo first. An ATR exhaust back in the day was tough to hang even on all their components. no 2 exhausts will be the same unless it is factory.I can remember pulling tail pipes back just to get the test pipe to bolt in to their cat back exhaust.Did the same thing to Larry's car a few nights ago. Was it gravy?, no but you try to find a happy medium with everything out there. Not trying to be arrogent but I think I have owned more of these cars then most.

The flange is welded incorrectly to the pipe it's self. Well Brian I guess I'm not the only one after all. Mark Hueffman who sells your DP states in his add that the DP fits so good it even fits with worn mounts. This DP is ill fitting and I sent pics to Weaver and Hueffman both showing that the puck did not cover the wastegate hole because the flange is not oriented correctly which also cuases the bolts not to line up and also causes the DP to hit the frame. Weaver says my car has been wrecked or words to that effect. A new DP from another vendor bolted right on with clearence everywhere. Weaver says when I get all the problems solved on my car, the new DP want fit. Question. How did the other company make a DP that fit my car that has issues galore (according to Brian) without kowing it's sorry condition and no knowledge of the car it's self. How did they do that? Thanks, Mark. Thanks, Brian. It took 3 months and over a hindred dollars in shipping but I finally got it fixed. Just started dealing with the right people.
Gary

You forgot to say how I refunded your money. Don't make me out to be a bad guy because I am not.

I didn't say a lot of things. You want me to? Or I can post all our emails. Yeah, you gave us a refund, more than two months after this fiasco started. And do you remember that you were going to give us a refund and a month later you hadn't and you said you didn't because Brian Weaver hadn't authorized it. I had to remind you I didn't buy this junk from him (although he is your supplier). It was then that you finally did a refund. At that time you told me that Brian told you the DP I couldn't make fit was Quote: "Your
downpipe is happily living on someone else's car
according to Brian." End quote. That implies to me that he sold it to someone else. Of course 1 1/2 days before, Brian told me he had been so busy with moving he hadn't even looked at the DP. And I think I mentioned to you that I didn't believe it was on anyones car because the flange was cut wrong. One of the 3 of us is lying or being conned. You know what I think. I concede that for the most part you seemed to be trying to help and till Brian filled you head with innuendoes which you swallowed whole hog and wrote me this nasty little email:
Well,

Got the story from Brian that you did not even wait for him to show up to work on your 53,000 mile car that actually has 153,000 on it. I am totally out my money since he did not authorize me to refund your money. I thought I was doing the right thing by you but I ended up screwing myself royally.

Brian says he explained everything to Mark about how your car is tweaked. He did not take the test pipe since you were not there. I want it shipped back to me since I can at least sell that to get some of my money back.

Send it to the address below along with any hardware and gaskets that were included with it.

TR Custom Parts
141 Ezra St
North Haven CT 06473

mhueffman@snet.net
www.buickgn.com - TURBO REGAL CUSTOM PARTS
--------------------
Need STOCK Turbo Regal replacement parts?

Didn't wait for him? He said he would be here around noon. Based on that I planned on dinner with family and friends for 6:00 P.M.. Well I was here at noon, Brian didn't show. He did call and said he had a misunderstanding with some cop and he would be here at about 4:00 P.M. 4 came and went. So did 5 and 6 o'clock. I tried to call him but got his voice mail. My wife and 5 other people are now pissed at me cause I'm 30 miles away from the restaurant. I waited till 6:40 and left to meet my wife. Brian showed at 7:00 and my partner on the car waited for him. Exactly how much longer do you think I should have waited? 6hrs and 40 minutes seemed reasonable to me.

"My 53,000 mile car"? Post any correspondence from me that you have showing where I say how many miles is on my car and I'll send you a $1000. I didn't say what my milage was but you act like you have made a major find. What the heck difference does it make what the milage is. I don't care if the car has 500,000 miles on it. What was that comment suppose to mean?

"Brian explained everything to Mark about how our car was tweaked"? He didn't explain anything. What he did after he couldn't make the IC up pipe fit (that's right gang Mark/ Brian's FM doesn't fit any better than his DP) he started rattling off a bunch of innuendoes: "I think, It probably, it could be, it might be, this and that is wrong". On and on he went but couldn't show Mark anything other than the IC was off center by a half inch and where some one had jacked a dent in the flimsy metal under the cross mount which doesn't effect anything.

He didn't take the pipe because I wasn't there? That pipe was left by the door for him. Mark showed it to him as he was leaving and he didn't pick it up. It only weighs a couple of pounds and I'm sure Mark would have helped him lift it in the truck. Folks, that is the kind of mentality I have been dealing with. And now you want me to ship it to you? I think we have now paid $117 in shipping this junk back and forth to you guys and we are done. Oh BTW, there were NO gaskets and NO hardware whatsoever.

"I want it shipped back to me since I can at least sell that to get some of my money back". Wait a minute! lets go back to the beginng where you said Weaver had it "Happily riding on another car". If he did then where is the money from that customer. Sounds like Weaver sold the same DP twice and isn't going to give you your money back. Aren't you mad at the wrong person? Or maybe that never happened which is what seems logical to me. Anyway, I will hold on to the TP for a resonnable time and send it to you when you start paying shipping. Weaver also left a UP for the IC. I guess you want me to send that to you also. I'm willing to let it all end right here and board members can belive who ever they want. I would suggest however that anyone buying a G-Body DP or FM ask a lot of questions and try to get some assurances up front. I do want to say the FM up pipoe was off by 3 inches and we fixed it by cutting it in half and welding a longer piece in it.

Lastly, I sent you many pictures, very detailed showing all the problems we were incountering with this DP and FM. Did you forget those Mark. What did Brian show you? Nothing! He just told you. You were right when you said Brian told you the "story" because that all it was. It would have made more sense if he had put "Once upon a time" in front of it.
Gary

I save my emails too.

------------
Did not realize my cousin Mark did not send the test pipe back. We used the one that came with the pipe from Andersons. For sure I will send it back or pay you for it. I'll let you know later today when I find it. Assuming Brian shows up I can give it to him or I can send it to you. Which would you prefer Mark. If Brian doesn't show I can send it to him

Gary

----------------------

Since I am a vendor and not the actual manufacturer of this product, I feel I have done my part by refunding your money. Don't really think a Summit or Jegs would be dragged thru the dirt like this on a part that they sell. I certainly know that they would not have even talked to someone who altered a part that did not fit about a refund.

People also need to realize that this whole thing took place during Brian's move from PA to NC where he was unavailable for a month. I do not think there was anything derogatory made to you during the numerous emails we had between us and all the pictures you sent were forwarded to Brian. Maybe Brian will chime in on his side of the story.

I am done with this now.:)

You have emails too? Your point is? This email just shows that we made an honest mistake by not sending the TP back and my intentions to get it to you one way or the other. That way, was to hand it to Brian and he was disinterested. He was one foot away from it and it was pointed to by Mark. So be it. I tried. Just to set the record straight, this transaction began well before Brian's move. Instead of continuing to come up with excuses, why not just say that, sometimes in the manufacturing process things can go awry and leave it at that. You know very well this DP was screwed from the begining as well as the FM piping. But you and Brian let it drag on for two months. If you had just taken care of it from the begining, you would have enhanced your reputation as a vendor who services and takes care of his customers. I don't know who invented the saying " let the buyer beware" but I know it was invented for this type of transaction. I'll end this topic too (unless Brian comes on hear spouting a bunch of garbage, then I'm going to chronical the whole mess) with this. I was told by Brian that these pipes are set up on jigs and can't be wrong. That he has sold 100's and I'm the first to complain about the fitment. Wrong! At least 4 people have had the same problem that I had. One on the Turbo Regal Web Site was addressed by Brian himself. The guy there had to cut a section out of the pipe to get it off the frame rail. Guess he forgot about that one.Last thing for me. I thought you and I had a decent relationship going regarding this matter except that you should have resolved it sooner in my opinion. No real anomosity in our emails to each other. And while I know I have stated my position accurately, it's too bad the two of us couldn't have resolved this without Mr Weaver having been brought in to the picture. But when you sent me that arrogant email without even asking me what my side of "Brians story" was. I concede to getting pretty hot. That doesn't change the fact that I belive I am right and stand by everything I've said. Just wish it could have turned out better between you and I. DONE!
Gary

I think i got some kind of dud DP. bolt holes dont line up. So i noticed it hits the frame and needs to go down more towards the frame for the holes to line up. So i marked it and dented the pipe like i have read everyone does. Well as im beating it, the puck falls off!! :mad: after making some nice sized dents the thing still does not line up. Whats the deal with it? only thing that came to mind was china and walmart. :rolleyes:
whats the warranty on these? how am i supposed to get this puck issue resolved? Wheres Terry Houston!!!

Please help...

Thanks,

Chris

As you might have seen by now this theard has become heated between me and Weaver/Hueffman. My apologies as you are looking for help. I found that the problem with mine was that the flange the pipe was welded to was not opriented correctly. I discovered this when I put marking grease on the puck and bolted it to the turbo on my work bench. The puck didn't cover the hole in the turbo. If you haven't resolved this yet you my want to check the alignment as I did. If the puck doesn't cover the hole then you need to take it up with your vendor or cut the flange off the pipe and locate it in the proper position. Hope this helps and I apologize for high jacking your thread. I can send pictures if you need them.
Gary

As you might have seen by now this theard has become heated between me and Weaver/Hueffman. My apologies as you are looking for help. I found that the problem with mine was that the flange the pipe was welded to was not opriented correctly. I discovered this when I put marking grease on the puck and bolted it to the turbo on my work bench. The puck didn't cover the hole in the turbo. If you haven't resolved this yet you my want to check the alignment as I did. If the puck doesn't cover the hole then you need to take it up with your vendor or cut the flange off the pipe and locate it in the proper position. Hope this helps and I apologize for high jacking your thread. I can send pictures if you need them.
Gary

Gary I tried to keep this to e-mails but you e-mailed Mark & stated you would just delete them. So guys I do apologize for what to is about to unfold here.

Brian is full of crap. I run a shop and am swamped. That's why I didn't get back to you yesterday and I need to run now. But I am going to straighhten you out on this mess you and Brian have caused. Thought you where okay but guess you decided you are so smart you didn't need to hear my side. So what if the car has 153,000 miles on it. I didn't read anywhere on your site that your parts don't fit cars with certain milage.

The problem is the car was wrecked. You talked your friend Mark into buying this car. Found out later it was wrecked. Not Gary's Fault every manufacturer out there's fault.Your shop must be swamped putting $30K & your selling it for $13k.
Straighten our mess out you can't even hang an intercooler square or notice a down pipe rubbing an inner fender well.:rolleyes:

Quickly, this car was on ebay. I talked to the guy and he told me the mileage was incorrect. I couldn't care less as I've bought plenty of these cars with high miles. This is a great car and runs and looks great. While everybody on the Turbo forum was complaining about this car, I stole it for 10,000, not the 12,800 ebay says it sold for. And about your snide remark about it having 150,000 on it. So what? Email me the email I sent you claiming it was only 50,000 miles and please tell me why it matters. Here's some good advice for you. Get yourself another supplier as the one you have now is a joke. I wasn't going to say anything on the forums but I now will and we can let your future customers decide. Lastly (for today) I set on my butt waiting for Brian to show at noon which is the time he said he would be hear. Then at 12:00 he calls and said he would be here at 4 o'clock and he was late because he got pulled over for DUI which he said was a mistake (Good ole Brian, never wrong). I then waited until 6:40 and he still hadn't showed so I had to leave for a family dinner. Again., he shows up 6 1/2 hours late and you complain that I didn't hang around. You guys are special. BTW, your test pipe was sitting next to the garage door and Mark told him to take it and Mark said he was desinterested and left it. We are over a $100 shipping defective parts to you guys and if you want this pipe send n UPS to get it PREPAID. You two have cost us enough.

Well you stated I'm this far from Finksburg.Definentlly not true. I drove with my family on Memorial day weekend to see a car I had already sold parts to.
My seat covers,Rear FG fillers etc.
At this point I recognize the car.
Trans crossmember bent up on the driver side.didn't even have to get under the car but showed Mark.
Gary's 12 car experience.

"So what that shouldn't affect the stock intercooler working."
NO crap Gary it's attached to a crooked motor. It will be facing the same way the crooked motor is.

"Our IC will not work." I wonder why it isn't even centered to the radiator support. Visual inspection was easy but it isn't centred off by 1/2" to 3/4". It favors the passenger side. We measured it. it is off:rolleyes:
The IC is actually tight to the top but from a side view is run out by 1 to 2" at the bottom. Doesn't take a rocket science to look at it from the front to see the passenger side mounting tab but can't see the driver side the car is so crooked.
Gary want to post some pics?, this would be ideal. Not as good as the down pipe but we will get there next.

Gary installs a South East turbo down pipe. It hugs the inner fender well all the way down. When he fires it up it will melt the inner fender well in about 5 minutes.
Gary post some pics of it fitting like a glove.
He sends the pipe back to us it is 1/8" from his center we re-center it & send it back. Still will not fit I wonder why the motor is screwed up from an accident.

Now talk about customer service I drive up there 5.5 hours out of my way just to your place & 3 hours the opposite back to MD. This down pipe & IC wasn't sold by me directly but I still do this.

You have no idea what you are doing & can't wait around.
Wife dragged you some where. Tried calling no answer. Mark is sitting there waiting & so am I. Totally pissed that some one couldn't realize a car was wrecked & is trying to save face. Mark is getting pissed that he paid $10K for a wrecked car with incorrect mileage.

Want to come clean & honest post pics of how the car looks now.
I even left two IC pipes for you incase you couldn't figure it out. You e-mail Mark H. & stated You cut & welded the pipes.
Way to go Gary why move the IC where it belongs???

My best advice to your cars some where to get worked on or buy a tape measure.:eek:

After all this Mark at least hands me $90.00 for gas. Gary be a man & admit the car was wrecked you screwed up.
I told you I had a 19 year old & go out & install it on our Red limited in about 3 minutes. You said if that would happen you would pay him $10K.
I think Chris would have at least got the IC centered.

Not asking for $ or my time just come clean that you are a ball less wonder!