Whats up with Kelley Blue Book?

budget_crx

My bank is using KBB to appraise the car I'm buying (86 T Type) and they are telling me that its only worth $4,000. What gives? Everyone knows they are worth much more, even NADA's LOWEST retail is OVER $7,000, the average retail being around $11,000.:confused:
:confused:

KBB suggested retail: (87 regal was used because thats as far back as it goes)
Kelley Blue Book - Enter Your ZIP Code

NADA suggested Retail: (87 regal used again for comparrison)
Classic Car Value

Between the best condition values there is almost a $20,000 difference!!!! WTF???

There is the same problem between the 86 and 87 GN's. Both sites give different values, 86 being the lowest. They are the same thing practically. Just some cosmetic differences and small item differences, but they made less in 86 then 87. So why isn't the 86 worth more then the 87? Allot of misinformed people do not realize that the 86 was the first year for the intercooler and that the 87 was not the only one. I ask this question allot and no one can seem to answer it. Anyone?:confused:

I think the problem with the KBB values lies in the fact that you can't differentiate between a T-Type / Turbo T and a GN from the Vin #. KBB is stupid enough to think that all the high re-sale prices are on GN's. I would tell the bank AND your insurance company that the car is a GN. At least that way if it get wrecked or stolen you won't get hosed.

Neal

I think the problem with the KBB values lies in the fact that you can't differentiate between a T-Type / Turbo T and a GN from the Vin #. KBB is stupid enough to think that all the high re-sale prices are on GN's. I would tell the bank AND your insurance company that the car is a GN. At least that way if it get wrecked or stolen you won't get hosed.

Neal

thanks Dude
good advise i will be doing so.

Call the Gran Sport Club of America and ask for Richard Lassiter. He will explain, since he sits on the board for NADA.

There is the same problem between the 86 and 87 GN's. Both sites give different values, 86 being the lowest. They are the same thing practically. Just some cosmetic differences and small item differences, but they made less in 86 then 87. So why isn't the 86 worth more then the 87? Allot of misinformed people do not realize that the 86 was the first year for the intercooler and that the 87 was not the only one. I ask this question allot and no one can seem to answer it. Anyone?:confused:
---------------------------
I don't think that anybody can really say for sure.
My guess would be '87 is the last year of production
'87 is the year that took the America's fastest production car away from vette.
'87's are rated at 10 horse more, at least in theory
'87 does not have the chrome strip running across the top of the grille.
Everything else being equal, I personally like the '87 over the '86, and I think that they ('87) really do bring more money on the average. Just my .02 worth. Before taxes, too. HTH