When to use alcohol ?

Ssg Ken

We bought a new wagon. When would my 87 GN need alcohol? I am installing a new clean exhaust, new cam and many strengthening devices. Here is when the Olds needed Turbo-Rocket Fluid.

Turbo Jetfire

In 1962 and 1963 Oldsmobile built a turbocharged version of the 215. The small-diameter Garrett T5 turbocharger was manufactured by Garrett AiResearch and produced a maximum of 5 psi (34 kPa) boost at 2200 rpm. The engine had 10.25:1 compression and a single-barrel carburetor. It was rated at 215 hp (160 kW) @ 4600 rpm and 300 lb·ft (410 N·m) @ 3200 rpm. The high compression ratio created a serious problem with spark knock on hard throttle applications, which led Olds to use a novel water-injection system that sprayed small amounts of distilled water and methyl alcohol (dubbed "Turbo-Rocket Fluid") into the combustion chambers to cool the intake charge. If the fluid reservoir was empty, a complex double-float and valve assembly in the Turbo-Rocket Fluid path would set a second butterfly (positioned between the throttle butterfly and the turbocharger) into the closed position, limiting the amount of boost pressure. Unfortunately, many customers did not keep the reservoir filled, or had mechanical problems with the turbocharger plumbing.

The turbocharger was offered only in a special Jetfire model, which was the first turbocharged passenger car offered for public sale. Only 9,607 were sold in two model years, and many were converted by dealers to conventional four-barrel carbureted form.

After WW2, Buick and Charles Chayne, GM's head of engineering. was playing around with Meth Injection on the XP300 concept, never made production though.

Allky?

When I brought up spending some money on tiny speed improvements like; the exhaust is shot. Why not put in a cleaner one? There is a oil leak forward and it needs some other requirements to remove the front housing. Why not add a new cam along with the new springs and retainers? There was a sale on the package. All of this is parts and labor at a mechanic.

some members said I will need Allky. Is this just for extreme things like racing which I will never do?

Most put on alky as they want to turn up the boost. the alky alows more boost with no knock. If you are happy with the stock 12-14 lbs of boost you do not need alky.

Alcohol is best consumed before making a purchase...make sure that your spouse has more than you while explaining said purchase...more alcohol should be consumed while installing purchase...more when finished. :biggrin:

Sorry just couldn't resist...

thanks for all the info

Most put on alky as they want to turn up the boost. the alky alows more boost with no knock. If you are happy with the stock 12-14 lbs of boost you do not need alky.

Thank you. This is all I needed to know.

However;
If the mods allow a 20 # boost, how is this done?

To adjust the boost you will need to get an adjustable waste gate or a bleeder valve(shorten the rod for more boost). You need a way to adjust the pressure. However on pump gas and no alky kit very few people can run 20lbs of boost and those who do usually run very low timing and know how to tune. I read your other post and with upgrades you are looking to do you will not be able to run 20lbs. Before you even consider adjusting the boost you will need a real boost gage and a scan master to monitor knock.

thank you

To adjust the boost you will need to get an adjustable waste gate or a bleeder valve(shorten the rod for more boost). You need a way to adjust the pressure. However on pump gas and no alky kit very few people can run 20lbs of boost and those who do usually run very low timing and know how to tune. I read your other post and with upgrades you are looking to do you will not be able to run 20lbs. Before you even consider adjusting the boost you will need a real boost gage and a scan master to monitor knock.

I will consider more than 15# out of the question then.

some members said I will need Allky. Is this just for extreme things like racing which I will never do?

When do you define racing as occuring? When you floor the gas pedal you are racing the engine are you not? And if your flooring the gas pedal to get from point A to point B sooner then your racing it.

And the quicker you try to get from A-B.. the only way this happens is creating higher power output=higher boost= higher octane... At a certain point you exceed the octane limits of pump fuel.. and there is wherethe decision to buy racing gasoline(100+ octane) or get into an alcohol kit.

If your driving the car normally without expectations on improving your A-B time.. then leave the car alone.

When do you define racing as occuring? When you floor the gas pedal you are racing the engine are you not? And if your flooring the gas pedal to get from point A to point B sooner then your racing it.

And the quicker you try to get from A-B.. the only way this happens is creating higher power output=higher boost= higher octane... At a certain point you exceed the octane limits of pump fuel.. and there is wherethe decision to buy racing gasoline(100+ octane) or get into an alcohol kit.

If your driving the car normally without expectations on improving your A-B time.. then leave the car alone.

Excellent point. If I want to pass a slow truck on a winding road with just a few short passing spots every few miles, I will want to floor it.

OK. How do I put in an allky kit?

thank you

Sounds easy.

How much allky does it use per, say a 4 second WOT setting? Do I use it straight where it will attract water as anything close to pure allky is highly hydroscopic or is it cut with distilled water, as in the rocket juice in post #1.

Sounds easy.

How much allky does it use per, say a 4 second WOT setting? Do I use it straight where it will attract water as anything close to pure allky is highly hydroscopic or is it cut with distilled water, as in the rocket juice in post #1.

4 seconds= 3.5-4 ounces. Typically on a mild setup like yours.

No problems.. even if it picks up a little moisture.. wont harm anything. yes use it straight. You can buy Methanol at the local dragstrip.. Bradenton Motorsports park.. or at a few marine places locally.

HTH

thanks

Thanks a lot. I did not know it was even there. There used to be a gun range about 40000 block hy 64 east a decade ago too.

I-75 North. Take exit 220 onto SR 64. Go east 9 miles. Track is located on the South side.

Drive a little North and I can even install it for you :D

Alcohol is best consumed before making a purchase...make sure that your spouse has more than you while explaining said purchase...more alcohol should be consumed while installing purchase...more when finished. :biggrin:

Sorry just couldn't resist...

My wife has actually perfected the "when to use alcohol". She recently wanted a new washer and dryer. She suggested that we stop at the local Mexican restaurant for "a big as my head margarita". I don't remember much after that but the next day Lowes arrived at the front door with the prettiest matching ruby red $2800 front loading washer and dryer!

Why not add a new cam along with the new springs and retainers?

I wouldn't go pulling the cam out just to swap cams. There have been lots of bad experiences with cams going flat. Unless you're planning on going to a roller cam, I wuoldn't recommend it, unless the current cam has problems.