Where can I get custom A-Arms?

1QWIK6

Torque wins
I am trying to do the 12" brake upgrade, but am in need of new upper a-arms to make it work. The only guy I knof of is R. Adams brake kit and they is a hugh delay on the new upper A-arms. Does anyone else make a custom A-arm? (not the hotchkiss $400+ uppers.)

Boy! That sure begs the question: Why are they 1/10 of the cost or why are the others 10x as much? Quality of materials and fit would certainly be my first questions. This could be the deal of the week, or....

Watch one saturday night circle track race an you won't be concerned about the strength. It gives new meaning to the phrase "Crash Tested".

I can't figure out the $500 price, either, other than some people will pay it.

Maybe we can do a group purchase for turbobuicks with the correct GM ball joint and a bronze bushing on the back passenger side.

WE ALSO MANUFACTURE SPECIAL CONTROL ARMS
BUILT TO YOUR SPECS.

Please call 219-493-3381 or e-mail for more info.

I found the UB machine one a long time ago. For the correct ball joint and everything, just don't know the length, unless someone out there wants to measure their Hotchkiss arms...

I race circle track and these tubular arms are STRONG, they rarely get bent, the adjustables are a little flimsier. Keep in mind though that they hardly see any verticle loading, it's mostly lateral, and an oval track car is gonna see way way way WAY more lateral loading than a street car will.

There are other suppliers that we can get deals through too, just need the right dimensions.

Originally posted by Racer X
Boy! That sure begs the question: Why are they 1/10 of the cost or why are the others 10x as much? Quality of materials and fit would certainly be my first questions. This could be the deal of the week, or....

That's why I've said how ubsurd it is to pay for the hotchkiss arms all along.

Maybe one of you guys that know what the he!! ,it is we need could call with the info(sizes),,,yeah that would be great and the post the part numbers

yeah that's it,,,,,,,, post the numbers:)

Geezus!!!

Buick Guys are frugal! Just like a bunch of old men.

Here is the thing... you aren't the first group of people to examine the possibility of using the UBM arms with the stock upper ball joint. But, keep in mind that the ones they sell are very generic... and the stock GM upper BJ is weak. You can't expect it to live long in a high stress (read: racing) situation. The ones that Robert Adams sells are made by UBM, but they have a few revisions, including the larger Chrysler screw in BJ. Saving a buck isn't always the best thing... consider that someone has taken the time to do this right. & Don't expect UBM to send you a set of Robert's arms just because you now know they make them, you have to spent the hours and calculate out your OWN dimensions and submit them... enjoy ;)

Also, UBM isn't going to cheaply design you a bronze upper bushing for the PS. Robert is working on this for me right now, I hope to be the G-pig for the first pair. I emailed him earlier today on the status of my request. And if I have to wait a few days for a reply so the F what?!

Stop acting like children because you can't get what you want, right now! Cut Robert some slack as this ISN'T his day job, he has spent a lot of time putting this set up together, respect that. It saves you the hassle & money. Right, UNGN?

So, if you are really desperate for a complete 12" system you can buy the one that I have in the basement for about 50% more than you would get it from Robert (mine is a Robert Adams system). Or you can go and spend 2 times the money, or more on the upper arms from Global West and build the rest yourself.

I am spent on this topic,

I'm sure Robert Adams is a very nice guy and puts a good kit together, but I'm not going to sit around and wait two weeks for a guy to E-mail me back.

If he made the arms its one thing. If UBmachine wants to make arms for us turbobuick people that's another.

I'd pay $250 for Buick specific arms today (I'm sure others would too), but Robert Adams doesn't seem to want to take my money.

As far as robert adams "working out the dimensions" you only have to measure a GW or Hotckis arm to know what the dimension is. I'll bet some one at UBmachine knows it off the top of their head.

I'm Frugal, yes, but I also like to have stuff NOW rather than "sometime in the future".

Robert puts a nice kit together, but it doesn't seem to be anything that anything any of us couldn't put together, also.

UNGN,
Since when did GW or Hotckis develop a loan a part program?

Are you just going to order the $250+ arm and return it?

As for UBM just giving you dimensions... I doubt it... you'll have to supply your own.
This guy had to do the same: http://JeffD.50megs.com

And, I think that you are arguing a moot point on your part, as far as time goes... you have been building yours for months now, and from the sounds of things still aren't near finished.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22415

I think that a few weeks, and no headaches are a nice thing.

It IS a lot of work to figure out all of the parts needed and sourcing their cheapest source. And chances are you will burn the equivalent amount of money in time and gas driving around picking the crap up. Prepackaged things can be good.

Nothing in this hobby moves as quick as you would like it to, time to come to grips with it.

BTW, I had NO idea that you built that GP 2+2 with the 502 in it... that is one great car... I keep sneaking back to G-body.org every once and a while to look at it.

Having been doing my research on the different arms over the past 6 months, I personally went for the Global West. Why??
The tubing diameter is much larger, there are actually gussets at all of the joints AND they have the best bushings on the market. PERIOD!
I kept checking their site and before Christmas they had the arms with the brass bushings on the passenger side and the Del Alums on the driver side, with another set of Del Alums for the lowers for $600 shipped to my door. Everyone that I spoke to had nothing but praise for them and the conclusion I came to was you get what you pay for. The UB's use small tubing, require boring out the upper ball joint hole and nylon bushings (can you say squeak city?)
Yes, I am satisfied with them :D

Re: Geezus!!!

Originally posted by Mr. T
Buick Guys are frugal! Just like a bunch of old men.

:D Yep, that's why I keep telling everybody that I race for Sanford and Son Racing.

Originally posted by GNVAIR
Having been doing my research on the different arms over the past 6 months, I personally went for the Global West. Why??
The tubing diameter is much larger, there are actually gussets at all of the joints AND they have the best bushings on the market. PERIOD!

...If I had the money I would have gotten the same. but being a full time student and only an occasional racer, I am happy with my purchase. I'll get GW in a few years... after I pay off my student loans, or out run the government with my Buick :D

The UB's use small tubing, require boring out the upper ball joint hole and nylon bushings (can you say squeak city?)

...Ummm, if I am not mistaken the GW DALs and the UBM "nylon" units are of the same design... The ones used in my R/A-UBM arms are fully greaseable... I doubt that they will squeek ;)

Global West rules... your wallet!

And, I think that you are arguing a moot point on your part, as far as time goes... you have been building yours for months now, and from the sounds of things still aren't near finished.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22415

And waiting weeks for someone to return E-mails doesn't seem make things go faster, for some unknown reason. If I had upper control arms, the car would be on the road tomorrow. I don't and it won't.

As for the correct dimension, the "masters metric upper", with either a 7" or 7.5" dimension should be pretty freeking close. For $48 each, and $15 for ball joints, thats $150 to my door.

Sure it uses a "weaker" stock balljoint, but since that's what I'm using now, I guess it will have to do :rolleyes:

Gussets are pretty easy to come by (like my car is going to be putting anywhere near the force of an asphalt bomber stock car) for a couple bucks and I can get them welded for Free at work. Then I can have them powder coated for $20 or just spray paint them for $2.

The point of all this is when you start talking about $500 for this and $500 for that, pretty soon you start talking about real money.

It's obvious that 12" brakes aren't worth $1000 to me for my buick that will see maybe 125 mph at most for the rest of its life.

My 2+2 will see 160 mph+ so I have BAER's on it. My buick doesn't need BAER's however, and it definately doesn't need $500 A-arms when $200 ones are good enough.

Originally posted by GNVAIR
The UB's use small tubing, require boring out the upper ball joint hole and nylon bushings (can you say squeak city?)

GNVAIR
You can get or make a pair of brass bushings.

I have nylon bushings on my racecar and they don't squeak.

You can get an arm with the stock GM bushings. If these bushings are so weak, then how come racecars with stock control arms aren't blowing them out all the time? Sure the geometry is different, but come on. You could easily build a down-travel stop and have the same thing as the GW arms.

Mr T
Don't get all bent outta shape because you decided to pay big bucks for a great control arm. I don't doubt how great these arms are, I just can't justify that kinda money for them until I'm outta school.

Anyone with the big dollar arms
If you are willing to help us by emailing any of us looking to make or order custom arms by giving us the dimensions of yours, you r help would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by UNGN

And waiting weeks for someone to return E-mails doesn't seem make things go faster, for some unknown reason. If I had upper control arms, the car would be on the road tomorrow. I don't and it won't.

As for the correct dimension, the "masters metric upper", with either a 7" or 7.5" dimension should be pretty freeking close. For $48 each, and $15 for ball joints, thats $150 to my door.

Sure it uses a "weaker" stock balljoint, but since that's what I'm using now, I guess it will have to do :rolleyes:

Gussets are pretty easy to come by (like my car is going to be putting anywhere near the force of an asphalt bomber stock car) for a couple bucks and I can get them welded for Free at work. Then I can have them powder coated for $20 or just spray paint them for $2.

The point of all this is when you start talking about $500 for this and $500 for that, pretty soon you start talking about real money.

It's obvious that 12" brakes aren't worth $1000 to me for my buick that will see maybe 125 mph at most for the rest of its life.

My 2+2 will see 160 mph+ so I have BAER's on it. My buick doesn't need BAER's however, and it definately doesn't need $500 A-arms when $200 ones are good enough.

Absolutley!

That is exactly what I'm screamin'. The balljoint is gonna see mostly lateral loading anyways, which aint gonna be much on the dragstrip.

I don't get it.... :confused: Why do people need to get all defensive, all we are trying to do is find a way to make our cars the way we want them, without breaking the bank.

Re: Geezus!!!

Here is the thing... you aren't the first group of people to examine the possibility of using the UBM arms with the stock upper ball joint. But, keep in mind that the ones they sell are very generic... and the stock GM upper BJ is weak. You can't expect it to live long in a high stress (read: racing) situation. The ones that Robert Adams sells are made by UBM, but they have a few revisions, including the larger Chrysler screw in BJ. Saving a buck isn't always the best thing... consider that someone has taken the time to do this right. & Don't expect UBM to send you a set of Robert's arms just because you now know they make them, you have to spent the hours and calculate out your OWN dimensions and submit them... enjoy ;)

First of all I'm willing to bet that they already have arms in the correct offsets and lengths, it's just a matter of ordering them. The 'GM Metric' chassis is a very commonly used street stock and modified chassis. And guess what spindles usually get the call. NOT GM METRIC! typically they'll have a B-Body or Pinto spindle. My Modified has pinto spindles on a Metric chassis. There's lots of configurations, they aren't going to need to fab up some custom stuff. And UB Machine isn't the only shop out there either.

I need to email them, they may already know what we need.