Where is the speed sensor located ?

moose

Anyone :confused: My t/type has given a code a few times for speed sensor and i dont have a clue where it is!!! Yep, Im stupid i know!!!:eek:

It's up under your dash alright. I believe it is a small, greenish box. Has a little, flat cable going into it. Look around the top of the steering column.

Its mounted on the back of the speedometer (mounted between the speedo cable and speedometer, the sensor is just a hall effect sensor). You'll have to pull the instrument cluster to get to it, but easy to swap.

I think this is it:

stockvss.jpg

That IS the Speed Sensor! Mine threw the code so I changed it. DID NOT FIX IT! It was the plug in on the box! Clean connections and put on some dielectric grease. Is your car not engaging overdrive? locate the green box on right side of steering column, drive down an open stretch of road, when the light comes on, reach under and wiggle the box. You should feel it engage lockup and the light will go off! If you do decide to change it, it is the same on other G-Bodies= Regal, Monte Carlo, Cutlass, Grand Prix. I used one from an 85 Monte Carlo! Hope this helps :biggrin:

Check the connection like Hafrod said. That is a common problem. If not, the optical sensor assy. is easy to change. The optical sensor is bolted to the back of the speedo and the buffer box (green box) is usually just to the right of the column.

Thank's guy's, I'll check it out. overdrive is working fine other than maybe it engages a little quick sometimes and makes the car feel like it's bogging.