Where to get coil pack/module ans which brand?

kirban 2 cents worth

we have both units but to give everyone a heads up about GM versus Wells or other brands...keep in mind...that most of these items are all made in one place and packaged for various companies...ever notice how wells boxes share the same basic colors as AC Delco?

Ever see an AC Delco cam sensor alongside a wells unit....nobody no matter how good you ar can ell the difference heck they both even have the part number and say made in mexico....

Granted some brands don't share the same choice but in the Turbo Buick world companies share that stuff the market is just too small otherwise.

Its no different than one someone buys a 6 speed shifter from Callaway Corvettes for their C5 or C6.....its marketed and sold as a Callaway shifter....which is fine....but those shifters are identical to ours because Callaway BUYS our shifters and markets them....

Our name does not appear on any of them. Coil modules are through the roof if you seek out one in a AC Delco box. (Base part).....we did some issues with some in the past but now have a new source Wells which are dead on the same.

Just giving everyone a heads up....In some cases reproductions are superior to originals...We made the horn coller dead on in bullet won't crack...grille springs are painted we had made and selll the pair for what one from GM cost not painted..

We buy aftermarket door sill weather strips the black ones with the metal in them guess what? They are far superior than GM even Richard Clark admits that and its tough to get anything passed him unless its original. A good bit of GM today comes from almost every country you can name. I have sold Corvette parts now say made in Korea....this is C5 stuff. The good old days are behind us....

kirbanperformance.com

Is it possible that Magnavox is the actual maker of the ignition modules and AC Delco just slaps their name on it?

O.K. i just looked it up on N O S 4 G N. They claim the the Magnaovox is a reproduction but it comes with a one year warrenty. What do I have lose by going with the cheaper one?

Joe’s less than 1 cent worth:

Years ago (like 20; for both 84-85 and 86-87 items) I decided that I was going to find the best coil and module deal. I cut open several coils to see how they were made and did the same with some modules. I didn’t count the windings in the coils; but best I could tell; they were all the same; even the ones with painted letters or the whole thing was painted. All of them checked the same with an ohm meter also. My conclusion was that as they were a low production item; they were probably all made in the same factory; and made to the same specs; regardless of how they were marketed (all made to highest specs even though they may have been marketed as stock). That might not be the same today.

Modules were another story. There were differences inside and out. The Delco modules always looked nicer than the cheap units; and they often looked to have more components inside. But; some of the replacement (Borg Warner, Standard, and others) look to have been re-boxed Delco units.

As for durability; they all seemed to fail. I never found a way to pick one that was going to last over another one. Some of the cheap units seemed to last longer than the Delco modules. This could have been that while they were built cheaper; they were built with lower cost/better quality components; or maybe there was just less in there to fail.

With all that; I never found the magic bullet.

As far as originality for your car; a running car is worth more than a completely original car that won’t run.

Joe’s less than 1 cent worth:

Years ago (like 20; for both 84-85 and 86-87 items) I decided that I was going to find the best coil and module deal. I cut open several coils to see how they were made and did the same with some modules. I didn’t count the windings in the coils; but best I could tell; they were all the same; even the ones with painted letters or the whole thing was painted. All of them checked the same with an ohm meter also. My conclusion was that as they were a low production item; they were probably all made in the same factory; and made to the same specs; regardless of how they were marketed (all made to highest specs even though they may have been marketed as stock). That might not be the same today.

Modules were another story. There were differences inside and out. The Delco modules always looked nicer than the cheap units; and they often looked to have more components inside. But; some of the replacement (Borg Warner, Standard, and others) look to have been re-boxed Delco units.

As for durability; they all seemed to fail. I never found a way to pick one that was going to last over another one. Some of the cheap units seemed to last longer than the Delco modules. This could have been that while they were built cheaper; they were built with lower cost/better quality components; or maybe there was just less in there to fail.

With all that; I never found the magic bullet.

As far as originality for your car; a running car is worth more than a completely original car that won’t run.

kirban 2 cents worth

Good points....Joe....

I have more first hand experience...with zddplus...we did a private label for erson cams....their logo their label but our product is in their bottles....so for their customer base its their product but it is 100% identical contents to zddplus...

This is nothing new in the manufacturing world...lots of companies do it especically the larger ones that like brand recognition.

kirban