Where to mount BOV (blow off valve), post pics of your setup ---

alwayscode390

Hey ---

I have a vortech bov that I bought for my syclone, but just got another one in a deal ... so I figured I can use the Vortech on the TTA.

Vortech 8D204-008 - Vortech Race Bypass/Blowoff Valves - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I know the BOV's may cause tuning problems (leaks) ... but it also helps with surge and boost management between shifts.

I was thinking on the UP pipe, between the alky nozzle and the MAF (right after the nozzle to keep it closer to the TB blades).

Where are you mounting yours? If you can post pics, that would help me a LOT.

2motcih.jpg

This is my underhood ... should I put it by the "red x" , or further from the alky (on the right) ? ---

The easy answer is because I already have it , and I like the way they sound.

The technical answer is "it also helps with surge and boost management between shifts."

I hate the way my turbo FLUTTERS after I boost.

The exhaust to these cars sound a little weak, and its easy to reel in street races with a BOV also ... it wakes people up to the fact you are running a turbo.

The only way I think it would be negative, is if it starts to leak pressure. I have a quality BOV , so I doubt that will happen within the next 5 years ---

I thought that BOV were for manual transmission cars to keep boost up between shifts?

Well, it may keep the turbo spinning (in the right direction) between shifts ... but it works that way no matter how you shift.

It basically stops the turbo from boosting 20lbs , then QUICKLY SLOWING DOWN, stopping fully, or going backwards even (which COULD add wear to your turbo) ---

This is from from previous stage car. Going in a different location on my current ride tho. Probably on the left side of the up pipe like pictured above. This one was a TN Godzilla.

Attachments

• 167.jpg
    167.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,151
Well, it may keep the turbo spinning (in the right direction) between shifts ... but it works that way no matter how you shift.

It basically stops the turbo from boosting 20lbs , then QUICKLY SLOWING DOWN, stopping fully, or going backwards even (which COULD add wear to your turbo) ---

Your turbo will never spin backwards. Physics won't allow it.

My dad has over 250k miles on turbo cars without a failure nor a BOV. I bet grumpy has 4x that..

Jason

Wouldn't the BOV vent air + alcohol?!

See, this is stuff I want to hear. True physics stuff ... not people opinions being pushed onto one another. I am curious to this too , and will try to find info on it. Maybe thats why GNBRETTS was lower than I was planning.

TTA's have a manual transmission :confused:

Well when I said " no matter how your shift " , I meant manual OR auto shifting

Thanks GNBRETT for being neither biased or opinionated ... just to the point.

I am also interested in why this is PLAINLY A BAD IDEA. I can just sell my setup ... but I am leaning towards using it. $200 to me isnt the end of the world... my cars are like my kids ---

Venting air with a MAF car is bad.

On an SD setup like a FAST not a big deal.

Alky is not an issue as the air going through the pipe carries the alcohol torwards the motor. Even after you lift the engine is still pulling in air through the IAC. So the alky cant go backards. Unless the car is shut off.. then it cant spray. So its a non-issue.

It's you car do what you want.

The turbo will never spin backwards as stated above. I got 150K out of my stock turbo....hard 150K and it never had an issue.

One did. :biggrin:

Are you referring to the Car & Driver or Road & Track that had a TTA with a rollcage and a Vette 6 spd? I think it had a Lambo and a chick in a red jump suit on the cover. I had that issue, Wish I could find it. I think they put a GNX turbo on it, but no BOV...

Are you referring to the Car & Driver or Road & Track that had a TTA with a rollcage and a Vette 6 spd? I think it had a Lambo and a chick in a red jump suit on the cover. I had that issue, Wish I could find it. I think they put a GNX turbo on it, but no BOV...

Yep, It was a Road & Track special issue. Supercars - 24 of the Quickest Cars. It was the one with all the cars lined up on the banked oval with a red twin turbo Testarossa leading the group.

Here's a small write up on it with other PAS test cars.

Pontiac's Playthings

Plenty of people have BOV's on their cars. IMO it doesn't do a dam thing but blow off air....:) I don't like the surging sound. Some do. Two each his own.

It certainly could not hurt the turbo. Doubt it does anything to help it either.

It's ur car. If u want a BOV then have one installed. Who gives a chit what other want to do? They don't have to drive or look at ur car. You do.

Part of me want to have it installed where I had it b4 and part of me wants it relocated to the other side. I'll likely just put it where it was. It probably looks a little cleaner there.

He's a pic a little further away.

Attachments

• 160.jpg
    160.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 1,147
I see no one has mentioned "cool factor"! These cars don't really need polished billet pulley's/throttle bodies@intakes ect. but they do look good. I like em. Need it or not, all my previous turbo cars have had BOV's. The sound gives the car a certain "aggressiveness" just like a good exhaust. It's only money.:rolleyes: Hey if I don't spend it, my wife sure will.

Plenty of people have BOV's on their cars. IMO it doesn't do a dam thing but blow off air....:) I don't like the surging sound. Some do. Two each his own.

It certainly could not hurt the turbo. Doubt it does anything to help it either.

It's ur car. If u want a BOV then have one installed. Who gives a chit what other want to do? They don't have to drive or look at ur car. You do.

Part of me want to have it installed where I had it b4 and part of me wants it relocated to the other side. I'll likely just put it where it was. It probably looks a little cleaner there.

He's a pic a little further away.
I have also seen them mounted below the up-pipe on the Intercooler, Man I have to get that Billet Alternator:eek: very nice piece also the engine bay very nice!!