You can type here any text you want

Where to mount silk 1" tweets

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Intercooler

Nothing in car audio is working out for me lately with mounting. First it was the Civic and now I can't fit AudioWizard's door pods due to the roll-bar being up against my CSII speaker pods. I have to go with 5 1/4's in the door now and need to find a location to mount the tweets in. I have the fronts out now so would they sound good there coming off the glass? I don't want to mess up any of the interior pieces if I don't have to. I have flush and angle mounts for them if a good location exists.

well, there is always a trade off between where they should be and where they can be.

The best location for a tweeter is dead smack in the middle of the mid (coax) - but, in our car, I'd probably just drop them in the stock locations (dash). It won't be ideal, but it will be simple and no alteration needed.
You could always use time aligmment to straighten out the location path length differences.

If you're wanting to go audiophile, get the HLCDs (horns). It is the best way to go in the G-bodys.

Q forms are supposed to be junk. I hear they rattle, don't fit well and in general aren't as good as mounting to a solid piece. I have some nice holders that come with my tweets to surface mount them or flush mount so it shouldn't be too bad. It doesn't bother me doing something to the plastic pieces I just don't want to tear up a pretty rare set of burgundy CSII panels.

I say theyre good and my stereo is nicer than anyone your taking advice from minus the horns.....

I know what a good stereo sounds like and my **** sounds great.

My Q forms have been dynamatted though...

This pretty much rules them out:

Installation note for 1978-1987 Buick Regal:

Installation requires bending parking brake 1.5" to the right. If vehicle is equipped with an engine computer module behind passenger kick panel, computer must be relocated under passenger floorboard carpet and covered with the supplied plastic computer module housing.

Originally posted by broke1
I say theyre good and my stereo is nicer than anyone your taking advice from minus the horns.....

Damn broke - not to start a pissing match but, that's pretty strong statement considering you've met few of us in person.

Prior to removal, the system I had in my Regal (now in my DD) I would put up against any system for pure quality...in my DD, it's even better (more install time, better built car). I'm even thinking about dropping back into the comp scene with it (if there are any)...it easily Rivals my old system that I won world finals with.

Intercooler, the Q-forms, unaltered, are junk. Thin and very flexible...at best they are a decent starting point. And yes, you have to move the ECM and bend (or remove) the parking brake. Have you ever tried HLCDs (horns)? They work really well in the G-bodys.

You can always "loose" install the tweeters and move them around to see where you like them best

I'l do HLCD's in mine eventually...one of the reasons I wanted one of these cars.
I won the USACi World Finals and best of show last year in my Acura TL (sound quality 0-600 consumer advanced). I've done kicks and a-pillar mounted drivers. I want to build a horn car. I've heard some really nice horn set-ups.

Zam,

I got another question for you. I can't get the pods for the doors from AudioWizard because mapping it out the CSII pods come right up against my door bars for the cage. I am just going to put 5 1/4's in there (CDT's). Will they fit okay in the CSII pods being 2 1/2" deep? Going on vacation this week then the following week it will all get installed. Let me know.

They should fit fine - you'll just have to cut the back of the factory plastic "basket" out.

Originally posted by zam70
They should fit fine - you'll just have to cut the back of the factory plastic "basket" out.
That's great news! I would have loved to do things differently to fit the 6.5's in but the roll-bar just won't allow it. I like being alive better than having a little more sound :)

Can you mount the tweets where the power window switches are,and move the power window switches to the center console,I always like the power windows to be operated from my right hand while leaning it on the console..course get better looking (modern) swiches..
HTH--JMO
Dennis:)

I think I will have the guy make the wires long and move it to different spots to see what works best before making it permanent.

Back