where to purchase methanol?

http://www.syndel.com/msds/ispropanol_msds.html

id say you could try out some of that propan-2-ol. maybe 50/50 water mix first slowly working up to a 100% mix or whatever i guess. if it works out you be the first i know of. as i was saying tho, if the lower the boiling point makes for a better chemical then this would mean the propn-2-ol would prob be not as good as denatured but only by a little bit. try it out. water may help in the mix to add some in cylinder cooling and absorb some heat from the air allowing more boost.

razor i see your point. if ya got a good thing, why change it. besides, youd only save what, $1 every how many weeks or whenever you by methanol. p.s. you going to largo tonite?

puginfo, also be warned. read the sheet on the propan-2-ol all the way thru before you go thru with trying it. it does say

"CONDITIONS & MATERIALS TO AVOID: Avoid all possible sources of ignition, avoid strong oxidizing agents. Avoid acids, strong acids or strong bases. May be corrosive to lead and aluminum."

sooooo, IDK.

btw, what alky kit are you running?

I'll be there.. TTA less..dont want to drive it with the hurt tranny..

See ya latter

>>> thks TB. Will the pump survive this mix? My kit is diy per the other post 'diy alco injection'.

cheers

IMO the pump should be fine. methanol is proven to be corrosive to metal but the shurflo pumps have been doing fine due to their different internals.

Washer Fluid Mixture

Its easy to figure out the methanol mix in washer fluid this was taken from Auqamist site.

Methanol freezes at -96 deg. C, 50% mixture will stop the mixture from freezing at around -40 deg.C.

So the lower the freezing temp below -40C the stronger the mix is above 50%.

Dood -40 C is equal to -40 F.

Everything is frozen at that point in the washer bottle. Prolly inside the car too. ;)

You won't find a mix near 25% let alone 50%.

Here in Ontario during the winter months all the washer fluids are rated for -40 and you can get stronger than that here too.

Originally posted by turbo buicks
WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY?

I THINK HE WANTS YOU TO MOVE UP. :p

LOT'S OF GOOD INFO ON THE AQUAMIST SITE. :rolleyes: AFTER A GREAT AMOUNT OF RESEARCH, AQUAMIST SCIENTISTS FOUND OUT THAT WINDSHIELD WASHER SUPPLIERS HAVE VERY HIGH QUALITY CONTROL ON THEIR $1 A GALLON STUFF. IF THEY DIDN'T, YOU'D HERE LOTS OF COMPLAINTS ABOUT FROZEN WASHER BOTTLES, AND OBVOUSLY, WOULD LEAD TO MANY LAW SUITS. :eek:

I can see the trail and lawyers argueing over the exact content and composition.. then the settlement..one new bottle of washer fluid :)

If it is well regulated and clearly marked and controlled I would use the -40 stuff for sure.

If it ain't like in the USA then I wouldn't.

I have had it freeze up here at 0 degrees F.

Depends on the govt. I would say. :)

Originally posted by salvageV6

Depends on the govt. I would say. :)

First things, first. They're too busy making laws and regulations on how to keep everybody poor. It's only right. ;)

I have never seen or heard of someone wearing gloves to add washer fluid to the bottle.

I would think straight Meth would be 50% more dangerous to deal. And not many seem to care about that one or mention wearing safety gear when adding it to their alky kits.

My bad, sounded like you meant the Meth needed it.

Thats good because the last thing I need to do on the road is pull over, put on my goggles, gloves, mask and lab coat and have someone come over and say, "do you need help, what are you doing"?

I am pouring in window washer fluid, get back! :rolleyes: :p

Acetone

Originally posted by Two Lane
It might, but it's wayyyyyyyyyy too carcinogenic to risk contact on any kind of "regular" basis.

Once upon a time when no one knew better, we bought it from the Pharmacist and used it to clean spark plugs...no gloves, nothing.

Now we know powerful petro-solvents are also mega-carcinogens, and are readily absorbed through inhalation & contact with skin.

Just too risky, TB ...life's short enough already.

HTH

Where do you get this information from??? "Wayyyyyyyyyy too carcinogenic?" Acetone is not carcinogenic. Women have been using it on their fingernails for decades (and still do). Look up it's MSDS:
https://fscimage.fishersci.com/msds/00140.htm

Gasoline is more of a chronic exposure concern than acetone, IMO. Quit scareing people. ;)