where to purchase methanol?

EclipseTurbo

I am having trouble locating methanol, I don't know where to look, maybe places that sells race gas?

If I still can't find it I may have to rape myself from buyracegas.com :( :(

Tracks carry it as well. Call race car shops. Usually in the yellow pages under automobile race cars.

HTH, you can also use denatured, thing is if you find methanol, it will cost typically 2-3 dollars per gallon.

Thanks.. what do you think with 100% methanol, no mix with water? Is it too corrosive? Using shurflo and teflon lines, SS tank, brass fittings, vinyl feed hose.

Everything good..dunno bout the vinyl?

Looks like your reading tho.. good job :)

Julio

How much more boost can you run on straight Meth over window washer fluid levels of Meth?

There is a huge price difference and availability between them. If running straight Meth nets 1 or maybe 2 psi more, I would probably not bother with it. Maybe only use it at the track. (After I get Razors kit that is) ;)

Problem with the windshield washer fluid is the concentration of methanol in it. Whereas they dont say. So maybe its 10 percent or 90 percent. Chances are 10 percent :)

If the bottles clearly stated concentration, like in the case of isopropyl alcohol you get at the drug store, then you have a better handle.

When I first heard of methanol back a couple years ago I asked the same question.. it was like it was this ellussive liquid. But the fact is those that carry it dont advertise it, hence why you have to go looking for it. Its primary use is automobile race cars. Lately i've been using for more like degreasing, cleaning, etc.. since its soo cheap. At 2.50 a gallon, compared to 2.50 a small can of brake cleaner.. its uses are starting to pile up..

Wonder how much a 55 gallon drum goes for :D

Too bad you cant drink it..that would be a party :)

I wouldn't use windshield fluid, may make your spark plug turn smurf color :)

Actually I was told it had glycol in it, same stuff in your antifreeze, you wouldn't want to spray antifreeze into the engine right ;)

How does denatured compared to methanol? beside the price?

Originally posted by Razor
Wonder how much a 55 gallon drum goes for :D

WELL, 55 x 2.50= $137.50 :D

eclipseturbo, one of my chemistry books used washer fluid as an example and said something like "suppose it is 30% methanol". now i dint know if this is just an example or derived from actual washer fluid testing.

compared to denatured, methanol is cheaper, more corrosive to metal parts, cools better, and i think it burns better. better ask razor bout that last one.

50-55% Methanol is found in Window Washer Fluid!!:eek:

No wonder they do not specify how much is in the bottle on the contents label, its practically going to melt through your windshield ;)

Well, this changes a lot in my eyes, its pretty much a 50/50 methanol/water mix at a $1 a gallon.

Whats with the radiator comment? Anything specific found in this stuff to not use it?

Nice find Turbo Buicks!!!

ya looks liek its got tons of meth and rest is water and a little is ammonia but what ive read on the ammonia sheets it doesnt look like it will harn anything. its boils at 97 deg F so it would probably vaporize in the intake stream or something technical like that. btw isnt that what we are looking for, something that vaporizes at a lower point which gives better results. take for example water which boils at 212 deg F and then denatured which is 167 or so deg F and meth which is about 140 deg F and as you know the list goes down and performance gets better. is this a trend i see? i looked up acetone like razor said and its got a boiling point of 130 deg F so maybe it would work even better than methanol. anyone dare to try a bottle???

also if it turns out the washer fluid works best or as good as meth then thats good cause its readily available 24/7 at any gas station or pep boys, autozone, etc

Problem is it may be 50/50 one day..30/70 the next. There is no control on quantity in the mix. Unless stated.

Price sounds about rite..I pay 2.50 a gallon at the track.

What the blue stuff they color it with? and what effect does it have to the engine?

A lot cheaper than denatured..

Originally posted by Razor
Problem is it may be 50/50 one day..30/70 the next. There is no control on quantity in the mix. Unless stated.

Price sounds about rite..I pay 2.50 a gallon at the track.

What the blue stuff they color it with? and what effect does it have to the engine?

A lot cheaper than denatured..

i think a call to the fluid manufacturers with inquiries about their processes and ingredients would answer two of these questions. i highly doubt a company mixing potentially deadly chemicals would be so lazy as to just throw any amount of fluid in there that "looks good enough" but i dont know. as for engine side effects...looks like we already got a volunteer;)

Originally posted by turbo buicks

i looked up acetone like razor said and its got a boiling point of 130 deg F so maybe it would work even better

It might, but it's wayyyyyyyyyy too carcinogenic to risk contact on any kind of "regular" basis.

Once upon a time when no one knew better, we bought it from the Pharmacist and used it to clean spark plugs...no gloves, nothing.

Now we know powerful petro-solvents are also mega-carcinogens, and are readily absorbed through inhalation & contact with skin.

Just too risky, TB ...life's short enough already.

HTH

one word: gloves :D hey i guess if two GNs race using acetone in their alky kits the loser has to inhale it. kinda kill or be kille4d i guess. give your enemy cancer ahahaha

Boy what a sick sense of humor. :D

I happy with plain old methanol..you smell it in the car when it burns..dont want to play with other stuff..

>>>hi all, this might sound silly but looks like alcohol is not sold in the open here. I have tried a dozen paint shops and they don't do it as apparently its controlled item here.

So, i have been looking for a safe substitute to run my pump without screwin' it up and came across a blue concentrated washer fluid contents marked as propan-2-ol. Is this safe to run with some distilled water? Haven't run the setup yet as need some inputs from the members here. Thks for any help.

cheers