You can type here any text you want

which 4x10 to fit 87 speaker mounts??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

usetaboost

SAY CAR RAMROD!!
I know 99% of our members run 6x9s but I just plain don't want to. I'm trying it right now and not diggin it. So, which 4x10 is good to run off an aftermarket deck with no amplifier and fit in the factory 1987 speaker brackets?

has anyone tried the Kenwood KFC-415C ? If so how do they fit in the factory bracket?

I'm sure they fit, i mean they would be designed to fit gm stock locations for 4x10's but why dont you want to run 6x9's? they sound so much better. and most 4x10's made now are mid-range at best.

I have them right now. Not too thrilled with the bass response. Could be the speakers, don't know. Maybe the speakers I'm running are too much for the deck???

I guess it just depends on the deck /speaker quality. What deck do you have? all the 4x10's are mid-range speakers. i have kicker ks 690 6x9's and the bass response is ridiculously good. they barely fit though, in fact the torsion bars touch them.

I have a pioneer 50x4. I thought something was wrong with the deck so I switched it out with a known good one I had and it sounded the same. I had one of these decks in my old 90 grand am and it sounded damn good. I'm really starting to think it's a speaker issue. Speaker's need more power and the deck can't give them enough. I think I may need a lower watt speaker to match the deck

Ya that might be the problem. I'm not sure.I'm no car audio pro but id say upgrade the deck instead.

I think I might start with some lower watt speakers. These pioneer 4 ways I have in are rated at 250 watts and 120rms if I remember right

you may not like the 4x10 sound

as they have a smaller sub or mid depending on how you see it, but if your serious about it don't go cheap and you may even run a small sub if your wanting some low end sound with an amp. most aftermarket cd players have about 50 watts of power per channel which is plenty for most speakers. i'm just letting you know from experiance as i've done installs in car audio since 86. just don't go cheap, if you buy cheap that's what you'll get. don't know why you don't want to go with 6x9's but that's all you. just think it though and the 6x9's won't be visiable but will give you great sound.

I'll try to find a set of 6x9s. Maybe a friend might have some that I can swap out and try. Who knows, could just be the speakers are just no good. If I get time tomorrow I'll pull a speaker down and see what the rating is on them. So all you guys that don't run an amp, what kind of 6x9 are you using (besides a low power one:rolleyes:)

try 6x9's

if you don't care for adding an amp it'll give you more bump without adding one. i run pioneers and if you have an aftermarket cd player you should have plenty of power to make them sound nice.

Back