Which common auto parts stores have plug wires that will fit our cars?

Evans Ward

Love those LC2/ Y56 cars!
I need to purchase another set of plug wires since the AC-Delco kit I put on has an extremely short #1 wire! I have the popping and cutting out now (# 1 cyl I'm sure) which really bites especially since an AMG Mercedes wanted to play earlier and seemed disappointed that I didn't. Have any of you purchased a set of plug wires that were the correct length (for all plugs/cylinders) and worked well from any of the more common auto parts houses such as Pep Boys, NAPA, Auto Zone, or Advance? I'd sure like to hear your feedback if you have since I need to buy set today (daily driven) with the aforementioned places being local to me. Part #'s if available from prospective vendor will be a big help too. TIA!:)

I got a set of Accell's a few months back at Discount Auto. They were the generic kind so I had to make them myself, but all the wires are the perfect length:D

I just bought a set from advanced. They were high energy set that was made for the TR. Fit just fine. They were only $27

Hey thanks fellows! The only local ones I could find in stock were from NAPA and were their Beldon brand. Alittle steep at $44.99 I'll call Advance and see if they have some in stock- hope they are black or grey as I don't really want bright colored wires!

wires.....

I bought some at AutoZone that were gray with black boots , haven't put them on yet , but took out of box and compared with old stock ones i had in my parts bin. All the lengths were maybe an inch ± longer :) Cost was 24.95 .. part # A9041 i think , El Cheapo. Double check Part# since this what i saw on their Web site....I can look at the box when i get home today.... Do what i do sometimes, take old parts in and lay on counter and compare, this way i don't have to drive back and start over again ..... Same type work on my Truck ok for 3 years now..... alan

:) alan

I'd call Quad Air

Why not call Red Armstrong (Quad Air ) their plug wires fit and their less than $30.00 , 440-235-3232 m-f 10-3 est.:)

i tried many many cheap and midgrade wires with no luck at all they would all start arcing when ignitinion is under a load (boost)

i bought some msd super conductors from summit racing and havent had a regret ... no missfire even at 30# boost:eek:

I got a set of lifetime warrantied plugs from Checker for about $40... But one of the wires is extremely long! All the other ones fit pretty good except that long one.
Keith

Something crazy?

Hey Evans, hows it going? I was talking with our planning manager at work the other day. ( he's here filling in until we get a replacement in) Anyway he races procomp all over the south. He was telling me to make the wires all the same length!? He said he has some experence with turbo cars, and that timing under high boost is critical. He said miliseconds or nanoseconds make a difference from one plug wire that is longer than the other. I on the other hand don't know much about that but I guess in theory it's true. Then you know what they say about theorys.

Get that car running strong, to many stangs in middle Ga.

Originally posted by Evans Ward
Hey thanks fellows! The only local ones I could find in stock were from NAPA and were their Beldon brand. Alittle steep at $44.99

These are great wires and are LIFETIME WARRANTY. I replace them every couple of years regardless, just to keep the car running perfect.

Another vote for Quad Air (Red Armstrong)

He has a blk set that works great & fits great. Worked for me & plenty of others in the 10's :)

I may be wrong, but I think the ones Jay Frick www.jaysgn.com sells are the black Quad air also. I have a set on both my cars. They come with an instruction sheet to match the different lengths to the correct plug. About $35 dollars; direct link is: http://www.jaysgn.com/bolton.html#wires
I think they are 8.5 mm, and they have worked fine for me.

Decision Made!

Thanks everyone for the feedback on the wire options. I finally decided to order the RA Quad Air set and called this a.m. to place the order. Great customer service too I must add!:) Besides the positive feedback on the fit of these wires, I thought who else would know or have the correct fit set other than them since they deal with the TRs!

Turbo Todd: I've got to take you out in Grandpa's car as it is quite a street animal with the alky dialed in. Next up: big neck stock IC and powerplate! Yee Haw!!:D It should be strong enough to handle most of the Mustang boys. I rode in a friend's Cobra the other day and was impressed- very nice, solid car. Too many folks knocking them here I say. I can appreciate all muscle. (flame suit on);)

Same length?

The speed of light, or of elecricity is 186,000 MILES per second. (more or less) That's 982 million feet per second. Hard to imagine that the difference in length of plug wires would be significant when you're talking about speed like that. Especially on a car that only turns about 5500 revs/min, less than 10 revs per second. That means the sparks are spaced at least 0.2 seconds apart. In 0.2 seconds, the elecrical impulse can travel about 200 million feet. That's a lot of plug wire! Even if you look at crank rotation in degrees, it's only 33,000 degrees per second, which is still real small compared to 982 million. A one foot change in plug wire would change spark timing by like 0.001 degrees... Not much effect on performance. (Or maybe I screwed up the math.) Don't think the guys turning 9000 rpm in Nascar stockers use equal length wires, either.