Which exhaust for me?

vader6

Turbo Buick enthusiast
My 86 GN is mostly stock. OE turbo, a 206/206 cam, stock valvetrain, OE headers/DP, 93 octane TT chip, 2800 stall, no emissions or cat conv.
For the record, I do plan on a 3" DP in the future, maybe a turbo upgrade.
I have a dual exhaust, possibly hooker or similar, and it has lost that true GN sound I love, it is too "60's muscle car" sounding for my taste.
I would like to find a system that will give back the OE sound of the factory system yet still yield some performance enhancement?
I know about the OE replacement from Highway Stars-- Any others that might be what I'm looking for?

Search this. This has been beat to death. Probably won't get a huge response on this topic.

I love my 4" single shot . No drone at cruising speed and sounds great

Two steps forward one step back. No sense in a 3" downpipe if you go back to a restrictive exhaust. Maybe if you went with an electric cutout when you wanted to get on it, I don't know.

If it's just your mufflers that are worn out and your piping is ok, the Hooker maxflow mufflers are an excellent flowing muffler that is fairly quiet.

I'm leaning toward the RJC 3" DP and crossflow exhaust, seems to be the right combination of sound and performance. Lots of install horror stories on this exhaust but I have a friend who is an exhaust/undercarriage tech so I'm sure we'll figure it out lol. Now, should I go with the 3" internal wastegate DP or external?

Another POV. At your current level, exhaust will not net any performance gains. From an appearance and sound perspective, that is something you may want. I run mid 11s through the stock exhaust and a 2 1/2 inch stock down pipe and stock elbow(slightly modified). Not sure if a down pipe would give a small gain on my combo, but opening the dump gains me nothing. My guess is the T-31 turbine is the restriction, so the exhaust is irrelevant and would have to be very restrictive to hurt performance with my turbo. With a stock turbo, no gains to be had. Big turbo and power, then the exhaust will become a restriction.