Which GS Regal?

dart21

Looking to get a 90's-03 Supercharged Regal GS; Which would model/year would be the best to look for, as far as performance, or mod's friendly car, at the right price? I like the Black with Grey GS Regal.
What can be done to these cars performance wise? I already have a 87 Turbo, just need a commuter car. :biggrin:

You want the Gen I W-body so that is 97-2003 (97.5-2004 Regal), don't mess with what is known as the Pre-Gen W-body which is 88-96 (88-97 Regal). Get a 99-2001 for the best combination of stuff. The 97.5's have oddball PCM's, weird located bottles, and introductory year model blues. The 98's share coolant bottle placement, no strut-tower brace holes in the towers, some unique sensors, throttlebody, ABS unit located on the mastercylinder, and airboxes with the 97.5's. The 99-2001 still have the performance shift button, have improved 4T65E-HD transmission, at some point they factory put the strut tower bars on and fold down rear seats instead of just a pass through, more common sensors, throttlebody, the availiblity of the 160amp alternator, and they fixed the climate control screen so it doesn't burn out as fast. The aftermarket support for things is slightly greater for the 99-04 Regal GS's. The 2002-2004 have no performance shift button and are heavier but not bad cars and you can add the button easily.
As for mods... check out www.regalgs.org and www.clubgp.com for that, too much to talk about. Basically except for appearance mods and such it will be the same basic car as the Grand Prix GTP 99-2003. The early years have the same differences as the early Regals and they changed from the L67 to the L32 in 2004-2006 Grand Prix.

Very informative, thank you. Sounds like the 99-01 is the way to go. And I guess, specifically, the "GS" is the way to go? I have seen the GTP, however, the Regal is simple, sleeper looking, And doesn't look all too bad in black. I remember seeing some of these vehicles at the track running impressive numbers. Real cool how the superchargers wine down the track. :biggrin:

I'm with you. two weeks ago I bought a 2003 GS for aa great price. only had 32000 miles. Car has some quicks. Not a GN or TTA but some potential. And as a sleeper... lookout. Think next summer will try to bump 60 Horse and surprise some mustangs ;)

Good luck with yours. :)

Ken

Thanks, I am also considering a mid 90's Talon TSI. Maybe a stock look, with mods. I believe these cars respond well to mods, and they can be had for decent money. Makes for a commuter car. Opinions???

heh, i also have a t-type and a GS. Kinda cool to have 2 boosted regals -- one for a race car and one for daily use. especially when they both haul! kinda sad though -- when i get everything installed, the GS will have much more money put into it in mods, yet will still be much slower than the t-type! The GS is cammed, pullied, and ported and polished with headers, PCM, lifters, valve springs, and some minor bolt ons.
The t-type will just have a bigger turbo, injectors, chip, and fuel pump!

oh, and if you are looking for a reliable daily driver, a modded DSM would not be a very good choice. yes, they can haul when modded -- in fact, are much like a turbo buick in that they can be really fast with just some minor stuff -- but they are definately not known for reliability, especially when you throw some mods into the mix.

btw, my regal GS will be for sale pretty soon -- it's a '98 maroon/grey car with 80k on it, and it definately isn't slow. i'll be looking to get about $6500 for it. u interested?