You can type here any text you want

Which headgasket?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

robertf

So I've been fighting popping/spitting issues since I've taken possession of the car. Well yesterday she popped once too many and passenger headgasket went south, so now I reluctantly have a winter project. Heads are ARP studded Champions. Previous owner used OEM GM gaskets. FWIW, the car runs, idles very nice but pours water out the back of the head so hopefully everything else is ok. Looking for the best gaskets on the market for street use. Thank you.

There's really not much wrong with the regular Fel-Pro head gaskets if you're just toodling around on the street and keeping the boost reasonable.

I've got Cometic, and they had the advantage of mostly re-sealing after I lifted a head at 35+ PSI. That kind of thing would have destroyed a Fel-Pro and left me on a rollback. The Cometic got me back home.

Are there any disadvantages with Cometics? I see RJC has a set of metal shim style also. I'd rather buy once, and do it right.

If or when I ever have to do this, I'm going for the Victor Reinz. And I hope that isn't for a long time

I would stick to composites if you can't mill both surfaces before installing. From what I've seen with the RJC set it's a complete mess with the amount of sealant involved.

Stick with a composite head gasket...whether it be Felpro or VR. The shim gaskets will take much more abuse...but if something goes terribly wrong... then you're taking a chance on damaging the rotating assembly.

Stick with a composite head gasket...whether it be Felpro or VR. The shim gaskets will take much more abuse...but if something goes terribly wrong... then you're taking a chance on damaging the rotating assembly.
Sounds like my plan then. Guess I need to decide which one of the 2 is the better. Thank you.

So I've been fighting popping/spitting issues since I've taken possession of the car. Well yesterday she popped once too many and passenger headgasket went south, so now I reluctantly have a winter project. Heads are ARP studded Champions. Previous owner used OEM GM gaskets. FWIW, the car runs, idles very nice but pours water out the back of the head so hopefully everything else is ok. Looking for the best gaskets on the market for street use. Thank you.

you had them on there .. the OEM graphite work very well .. if it is was popping / spitting that is the issue find out why ..

that cylinder pressure has to go somewhere .. the more you seal up the top .. that pressure has to go somewhere , either the top or the bottom .. I'd rather do a headgasket than drive over the crank.

the stock headgaskets have run many a pass on low 10 second cars with ZERO issues.. just that the tune has to fall in line

the felpro or victor stock replacements work well I have used the felpro 1000's also.

I've used Felpro's for years on stock and mild engines and had good luck. I built a stronger engine this spring with RC and he wouldn't let me use graphite style:) he's way smarter than me so I listened. The cometics leaked, we added tabs, no more coolant leaks but I had oil seeping between the layers--they where sealed with copper spray between the layers as well. It melted and made a nasty mess of my pretty engine. Had a small issue in Sept so that gave me the excuse to pull it and deal with the leaks. Its going back together this time with RJC gaskets. We'll see how messy they are.

As far as Victor vs Felpro he also said that Victor held up better to his blow torch test than Felpro.

I put cometics on mine at 72k miles with some copper spray. No issues leaking anything, but keep in mind as others have said. The stock composites act as a fuse for when something goes wrong they are usually the first thing to let go. Cometics are the equivalent of replacing a 5a fuse with a 50a. Next weakest link will be found and it's usually a stock piston. If you're having detonation issues.

I bracket/grudge race my car pretty much every weekend spring to fall in the 6.8 to 7.2 range in the 1/8th in the 100 MPH range. I've used the Felpros exclusively cuz the VR's are tough to get up here in Canada...for whatever reason. The only thing I find with the Felpros is that the fire rings are damn near egg shaped. I haven't had any issues with them...but I thot I'd throw that out there for you guys. If I had my choice, I'd go with the VR's.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what gasket you're using. If your tuning is off or if your fuel system isn't up to the task...then you'll be orbiting head gaskets left, right and center.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what gasket you're using. If your tuning is off or if your fuel system isn't up to the task...then you'll be orbiting head gaskets left, right and center.

The truth. Or in my case, you can add a stock piston to my orbit. Friend drove car and ran it out of alcohol and the newly installed cometics and head studs said no problem, I got this. Stock piston said I'm out! Split it right down to the center to the wrist pin.

The truth. Or in my case, you can add a stock piston to my orbit. Friend drove car and ran it out of alcohol and the newly installed cometics and head studs said no problem, I got this. Stock piston said I'm out! Split it right down to the center to the wrist pin.

Now there's a keeper friend :D

I've used Felpro's for years on stock and mild engines and had good luck. I built a stronger engine this spring with RC and he wouldn't let me use graphite style:) he's way smarter than me so I listened. The cometics leaked, we added tabs, no more coolant leaks but I had oil seeping between the layers--they where sealed with copper spray between the layers as well. It melted and made a nasty mess of my pretty engine. Had a small issue in Sept so that gave me the excuse to pull it and deal with the leaks. Its going back together this time with RJC gaskets. We'll see how messy they are.

As far as Victor vs Felpro he also said that Victor held up better to his blow torch test than Felpro.

I can't believe RC is using copper spray on viton coated head gaskets. That's why they leak....

I have installed numerous cometic head gaskets and nun of them leak. I put them on clean and dry per manufacturer recommendations.

Cometics are hands down the most durable head gasket and can be leak free. They just have to be installed correctly.

To the O.P. you better figure out why the the engine is detonating or it don't matter what gasket you use. Something is going to get hurt.

Last edited:
I run Cometics in my GS with a 464, never had an issue. It's around 11.5:1 compression. But Scooby's point about the "weak link" being your head gasket is a good one. Driving over the crank is a lot more costly.

Back