which ignition switch is the problem?

street stalker

i've done alot of reading on the common problems of the regals, and always come up with the ignition switch being an issue. however i'm unsure if they mean where you stick the key into (lock ignition) or the one that is said to be mounted on the steering column above the brake pedal. can someone fill me in?

On newer GM stuff, the electrical part of the ignition switch is mounted under the steering wheel and not on the lower part of the column. The key cylinder physically turns the switch.

Just my opinion, but I believe they have a high fail rate because some genius decided to run the power feed for most of the car through the switch and then to the fuse panel assembly. A lot of load for those puny wires.

Attachments

• Ignition switch.jpg
    Ignition switch.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 175
All u need to know is Ed Morad hes on ebay a switch is like 25 bucks its over 200 at the dealer they will drive u crazy mines would stall the motor when i used the turn signal the speedo went crazy .

I had a speedo problem and other issues from a bad ignition switch on a 2000 buick century. Drove me crazy, kept killing the battery too.

Ignition switches sure can cause havoc. I had a situation with a bad one that would only allow the car to run with the hazard lights on. If they were off, the car would stall.