Ignition problem key stuck

DOG

Well after a day of riding around town i parked at home in the garage and shut her down, however i cant retrieve the key from the ignition. The ignition will not pull all the way back to the off position but i was able to kill the engine. Now i cant start the car or remove the key from the ignition. I tried moving the shifter, the steering column, all with no success. What can my issue be and how do i diagnosis it?

Yep turn the column to the left . You need to adjust your linkage that connects to the column shift . That rod that goes down the drivers side and connects to the transmission linkage

Grabbing the column and turning to the Left worked like a champ. Thank you all, but why did it do this and can someone go into detail on how to fix it?

You might not need to adjust it you might have just not pushed the shifter into park all the way. Try to make it do it again before messing with it

Grabbing the column and turning to the Left worked like a champ. Thank you all, but why did it do this and can someone go into detail on how to fix it?

It most likely means your shifter cable is about to break. (on the upside, you know know how to change gears with a broken shifter cable).

The procedure to replace it is actually more involved than you'd think.

First you have to adjust your cable (new or used) so that the detents in the shifter handle line up perfectly with the transmission. I.E. pushing it to N won't put it in R. Park, is actually park, and low 1 is low 1.

Next, you have to fine tune the solid rod that runs up the firewall so that, you can turn the car off and remove the key in park, but can't as soon as you put it in to reverse.

THEN you need a friend, a mirror, or night time hours to set the reverse light switch. It's the white ratchet mechnism on the top of the column that looks like tree fungus. Put the transmission in reverse, and ratchet it back and forth until you find the center 'click' that lights up the reverse lights (it seems like my car have 7 clicks total).

Then actuate the shifter from both directions like you would when driving normal, then adjust the reverse switch to that it works both times, but never in park or Neutral. I think my car wanted two clicks off of center when I did my cable.