Which oil cooler?

SpeednV6

Fuel Pressure Gauges
When my oil is cold, I can get 75psi at around 4K. When I get on the expressway, the most I get is 50psi from 3k-4k. It doesn't matter what weight oil I use. My idle is 20psi whether hot or cold. With this in mind, I have decided to put on an external oil cooler. What is a good size and who makes a good unit?

Sorry but I don't understand. That all looks about right. What are you trying to get? Oil coolers are good and all but some people don't even run them.

SpeednV6 said:
When my oil is cold, I can get 75psi at around 4K. When I get on the expressway, the most I get is 50psi from 3k-4k. It doesn't matter what weight oil I use. My idle is 20psi whether hot or cold. With this in mind, I have decided to put on an external oil cooler. What is a good size and who makes a good unit?
If you have 60psi at 5k and 75 psi at 6k, i wouldnt worry too much if it was always that way. I would be worried about a sudden drop though.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that on the expressway, 50psi is all that I get. 3k-4K, it doesn't matter...all I get is 50 psi. I'm thinking If I put an oil cooler on, I may be able to get 60-70psi on those rpm's If I cool the oil some. What are your thoughts?

Thats pretty normal. Oil loses "thickness" when it heats up. Thats why it says 10W-30 or whatever. It will get no thicker than 30 weight when its cold, and no thinner than 10 weight when its hot. Colder 'thicker" oil will produce more pressure. This is totally normal and I wouldnt worry about it. You are seeing the natural effects of the oil. If the oil gets hotter and hotter and hotter, it will get no thinner than 10 weight and you will see the same oil pressure as before (unless you're so blazing hot that the oil is falling apart and coking...which is highly unlikely unless you're going WOT for 5 minutes straight with water coolant temps at 250 degrees). Thats the advantage of synthetic oil. It takes a much much hotter temperature before it starts to fall apart.
Im not running any oil cooler at all right now, as alot of people are doing. If you can keep the block cool through the water coolant system, the oil will stay cool. Oil coolers are great for road racing, where you're staying in the throttle for long periods of time, but not for most GN applications. If you're worried about your paltry 50psi, go to a thicker oil...but at that point, the oil wont drain back to the pan as fast. Now as far as the oil going through the turbo, and the turbo having no cooling system..so what. The oil spends practically no time in the turbo bearings. It passes through very fast, and if you run synthetic, there is nothing to worry about.

Bull S,,,T

Put an oil cooler on and watch your pressure rise. I've run without one and run with one. As you oil temp rises your pressure goes South. Keep the oil cooler and you will have more pressure. There is a 11X11X1.5 made by Long out of Canada about as big as you will find. It has 1/2 in. female pipe thread.
Summit or Jegs (don't know which) has started carring this cooler. It will work for oil or trans fluid. If a race car only would be the only time I could see not using a cooler. 84-85 didn't have them but for some reason Buick added them on the 86-87. Judge for your self.

Thats why it says 10W-30 or whatever. It will get no thicker than 30 weight when its cold, and no thinner than 10 weight when its hot.

Actually the numbers in a multi-viscosity oil mean that the multi-vis oil has the same viscosity as a straight 30W oil when hot and the same viscosity as a 10W oil when cold.

I gues I am not sure of the issue. This is not a small block chevy or Ford. 8 to 10 PSI hot at idel with 10 PSI rise for every 1000 rpm is perfect for a buick engine. 50 PSI at 4000 is right on the money. You are fine and should not worry. I do have an oil cooler and it did not change my Oil pressure by much. Hope this helps.

Lee Thompson said:
Put an oil cooler on and watch your pressure rise. I've run without one and run with one. As you oil temp rises your pressure goes South. Keep the oil cooler and you will have more pressure. There is a 11X11X1.5 made by Long out of Canada about as big as you will find. It has 1/2 in. female pipe thread.

Just picked 1 up for my Tranny with the fittings all ready to go & its Big for $100 Canadian with no discount.
Heard that they sell them for $70 if your a buyer. A cooler can Never Hurt only Help! Cool fluids are Happy Fluids! Get one!

TURBOGTA1 said:
B&M makes a nice cooler with 1/2" npt. Summit for about $80

I blew up two of these coolers now, see below

B@M coolers

, so i am not using them no more. Switched over to a liquid cooler for bio diesel conversions. Rated to 400 psi and 200C.

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I will go ahead and try an oil cooler. What size is good and not considered overkill. I need P/N's. With my dual fans, 160 stat, and big alum. 2-core rad, my water temps go only 173*.