Which route should I go

damn i wonder what will happen if i use my stock pistons...the machine guy said the were in good condition...and use the comp cam with stock valve springs and lifter...would this combo work ...i dont plan on racing... I also plan on sealing the egr port...

Did you read this?

With lifts above .420 the retainers will hit the exhaust guides. Cams with lifts above .420 need the guides to be shortened. A professional Buick engine rebuilder would know this. It has nothing to do with deck clearance or IC engines. Just the way V-6 engines from '75 on up are designed.

If the engine needs a cam, get a OEM stocker from a GN for a little more 'umf'.
No need to cut anything on the heads.

If you go higher lift, more work, more cash, more time. In addition to that, you may have to get after-market valve covers for the higher clearance. ;)

Good luck!

I called the engine warehouse the cam i purchased is a stock replacement for a grand national / t type heres the numbers

intake exhaust

valve adjustment hyd hyd
gross valve lift .459 .459
duration@
.006 tappet lift 260 260
valve timing open close
@ .006 int: 22 btdc 58 abdc
exh: 66 bbdc 14 atdc

these specs are for cam installed
@108.0 intake center line
intake exhaust
duration @ .050 212 212
lobe lift .2960 .2960
lobe seperation 112.0

well today i got around to painting the heads and timing cover....will paint mess up the valve if a lil got on them....

heres a couple of pics...i was finally able to get my camera to work

freshblock.JPG

heads.JPG

rod1.JPG

rod2.JPG

trans.JPG

well i took the comp cam back today should i just get a stock cam from autozone for a 81 regal turbo???? and for the pistons should i go back with the stock pistons...since they were good ...but i need 2 rods

Use the 86-87 cam. It has a slightly different grind and a little more lift. Give you a little more power but won't mess up the puter if you're using one.

no...i plan on putting the motor back together and getting it running.....im going back with the stock pistons...i still need to choose a good cam

well ive taken the crank in and out several times to do the rear main seal after using the rope seal type....I rechecked the main bearing oil clearances and they all came around to be .002 is this measurement good ????

use the chevy style neoprene seal for the rear main and front cover. Don't piss with those dumb ropes

update: I got all the pistons back in...I went ahead and reused the current piston since they were in good shape and were .030...while I was at it I reringed it...I torqured the crank down to 100lb or a little more and torqued the connecting rod caps between 50-60lb...I plan on buying a hi volume oil pump kit and installing it sometimes this week...all I need now is a cam..im probably going to get one from autozone or advance...I cant wait to see the results of this thing...I hope i rebuilt it right...I also have a couple of questions...Will i be able to reuse my stock dist.?????As for the knock sensor should i mount it on the rear of the block??? Will I hook the knock sensor up to the MSD box??? any tips or ideas would help

update: I got all the pistons back in...I went ahead and reused the current piston since they were in good shape and were .030...while I was at it I reringed it...I torqured the crank down to 100lb or a little more and torqued the connecting rod caps between 50-60lb...I plan on buying a hi volume oil pump kit and installing it sometimes this week...all I need now is a cam..im probably going to get one from autozone or advance...I cant wait to see the results of this thing...I hope i rebuilt it right...I also have a couple of questions...Will i be able to reuse my stock dist.?????As for the knock sensor should i mount it on the rear of the block??? Will I hook the knock sensor up to the MSD box??? any tips or ideas would help

On my engine the knock sensor is located in the back of the engine.

well i took the numbers off of my block just to be curious...seems that my engine is a 1982 turbo block 25506818

...Im just about thru building my engine all I need now is the cam...but ive ran into some kind of confusing problems...#1 the 83 intake manifold only has 1 coolant port and it once had the egr tube that was used to heat the turbo plenum ,but i deleted it because my turbo plenum uses water to heat the turbo plenum...#2 the 80 intake manifold has 2 coolant ports..how would i go about hooking my 80s plenum which uses water method to the 83 intake manifold..please help...