You can type here any text you want

Which steel crank are most builders using ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbo96max

Guys,

I have been trying to research this topic but I have not found much .
Im looking into the info for stock stroke steel crank for a girdled,eagle rods,je's, roller cam,ported iron setup.
Goals are solid 10.30 -10.70s maybe 3-5 times a year track appearances and a lot of street killing weekend warrior. The car will see rain and get use , tired of seen it in the garage. Full weight car with AC, which at times makes 2 trips a week to work (highway). Pretty sure a stock crank will get it done but the engine block im using has a 030 cut crank and I would like to not worry and have reliability at said power levels.Car still is running on a trw arp motor in the interim.

A few questions im hoping to get some help on:

1. what brand of crank are most users using lately that dont require too much additional machining and hence added costs ?

2. Any input on recent usage of eagle vs gn1 vs scat?

3. at what power levels are people using 4340 vs the 4140 'steel'?

thanks for the input and for sharing

Eagle rods,eagle crank. Just had one installed in my new engine. Dont know which one though,havent got all the info yet.

Eagle rods,eagle crank. Just had one installed in my new engine. Dont know which one though,havent got all the info yet.

Dont mean to be a smart ass, but how did this reply answer the OP's questions?

A stock crank is cast. He said "Im looking into the info for stock stroke steel crank"

And I would think that Weber supplies a lot of cranks for the TR world.

I just pointing out that the link you provided was for a 3625 stroke steel crank as apposed to a 3400 stroke steel crank

thanks for the links guys. I have seen those but I was looking for any feedback available on any specific one brand and how bad or good of a fit they have right out of the box. Actually also have rocket ration questions , i may spark off another thread or consolidate

The last 4340 steel crank I used was made by RPM and was purchased from Dave Husek here on the board at a very reasonable price. The quality is very good, it has the grooves on the rear main seal surface and does not leak a drop of oil, and it balanced with only minor metal removal on one counter weight. With standard bearings, the main and rod clearances and end play were perfect.

I'm not sure which crank is being used more, but ...... unless your making (or plan to make) over 600 hp, any steel crank will be good, and will be better than your stock cast crank, and at that HP level. your concern should be "will the block live"?

my 86 is on an early eagle internal balance stock stroke and K1 rods , je's
the ttop is on a 4340 husek stock stroke ext balance , scat rods, je's

easy is just get a hold of Husek and get a package with molner rods (forget scat and k1 that was years ago) and wiseco pistons (JE) . on irons or alums you'd need an act of god to make enough hp to exceed the parts potential , the tune will be more important to hold any combo together

Last edited:
The last 4340 steel crank I used was made by RPM and was purchased from Dave Husek here on the board at a very reasonable price. The quality is very good, it has the grooves on the rear main seal surface and does not leak a drop of oil, and it balanced with only minor metal removal on one counter weight. With standard bearings, the main and rod clearances and end play were perfect.

Wish I could say that about my ( supposedly ) drop in BA crank. HAH - HAH !!!

Back