You can type here any text you want

Which Suspension package DSE vs RideTech vs SC&C?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbobully

I am not going to road race my car just want my ride to handle better than the flimsy flyer it is and improve ride quality as well. These are the 3 I'm considering. Would appreciate peoples experience with all 3. SC&C seems to be the least used on this forum but there components are good the price is nice, the other 2 seem to be everywhere these days in all the car mags for autocross and road courses but I don't know if its worth the extra$ for a street car. Schwartz Engineering seems to offer some great stuff as well but their packages are more elaborate and co$tly!

Here is my opinion,

I may be a bit biased but others will chime in as well, Since your not going to be doing autocross or road racing and just want a nice riding car that handles real good and still has the ride quality. I say the DSE 2" drop coil springs and their gas replacement shocks will be prefect for what your wanting, yes it will drop the car some but along with that comes better handling... This DSE upgrade is Simple but yet effective and you still can go have fun on an autocross if you like.....

Our customer (Buickmike231) recently took his first Autocross Win with this very same suspension set up and the new Rival BFG tires.

If you want to buy everything as a kit that's specific to to our cars I'd honestly say get the DSE kit. If you just want the car to handle better you can get individual parts and it won't cost as much.;) Simple upgrades like a larger front and rear sway bars, better shocks and springs, and stiffen up the frame some and you'll be surprised how much better the car will behave.:cool:

Thanks guys in comparing "kits" dse is about $500 more w all the same options w/o the ball joints. Any input as to what makes it better? Usit just more sorted out?

dse
$2115 front
Speed Kit 1
• Tubular Upper Control Arms
• Tubular Lower Control Arms
• Front Replacement Shocks
• 2” Drop Coil Springs
• DSE Tubular Anti-Roll Bar
• Chassis Braces

$1510
• Patented Swivel-Link™ Rear Control Arms
• Dropped Rear Spring Kit
• Rear replacement Shocks
• DSE Tubular Rear Anti-Roll Bar

Total - $3625

$2275 Our most popular package includes:
1. SC&C Stage 2 Plus kit - SPC adjustable front upper A-arms with greasable delrin bushings and offset pivots, on 4130 chrome moly cross shafts, and Howe Precision series Xtra tall upper and tall lower ball joints.
2. SPC Performance Pro Spring kit (F+R).
3. UMI Performance rear Roto-Joint/Poly tubular lower and adjustable Roto-Joint upper control arms.
4. Hellwig tubular sway bars - 1 5/16" front, and 1" adjustable rate rear.
5. Bilstein H.D. shocks (F+R)

SPC Performance Tubular Lower A Arms / SPC Spring Seat Spacers / Progressive Rate Jounce Bumpers add $649.90

CHASSIS BRACE GM The Grand National version is designed to clear the stock intercooler, or front-mount intercooler pipes. Now includes the correct metric mounting hardware, including the GM specific 10mm thread forming screws.

$189

Total $3115

Are u planning on racing it ? Like autox or road course?or Do U u just want a nice riding car that handles well? Like Charlie said, I'd add the frame braces and body braces, replace any worn or missing body mounts first. Then figure out from there what direction u want to go with the car. U don't need all that crap to make the car perform well on the street. Are u going to get bigger brakes and wheels also? All things u should plan for or around. Well IMO anyways. I went with some from both companies lol. I have the dse swaybars ,eibach springs ,spc uppers and lowers in the front with howe tall upper and lower ball joints , Spohn chromoly dbl adj del-sphere upper and lowers in the rear. And qa1 dbl adj shocks all round. The few times I got to drive the car before the trans went south I was really amazed at how well it rode and that was on Boston roads lol. All things considered though, u could spend a ton of money on suspension or not a lot at all in comparison to get the ride and feel u want. 1 more example , when I had my gn , I rebuilt the front end with energy suspension bushings new stock ball joints a couple frame braces stock swaybars front and rear and eibach springs with gta wheels and the car felt like a completely different car. Just food for thought. Joel

1. SC&C Stage 2 Plus kit - SPC adjustable front upper A-arms with greasable delrin bushings and offset pivots, on 4130 chrome moly cross shafts, and Howe Precision series Xtra tall upper and tall lower ball joints.
3. UMI Performance rear Roto-Joint/Poly tubular lower and adjustable Roto-Joint upper control arms.
The parts you listed above aren't intended to work together first off. They may work together but not designed by the manufacturer to work as a group because it's not just 1 manufacturer.;) The DSE kit is 1 company that designed all the parts to work together for 1 specific vehicle chassis and that's a major difference. One other thing I can tell you is that those "adjustable" uppers have had some issues and there's a thread over on protouring.com about a pair that, under normal street driving, bent, and Marcus as well as the manufacturer refused to replace them. They claimed that the driver hit a curb but there was no evidence to prove it. No tire scuffs, no rim damage, nothing.

Where can i get that dse kit?
GNS performance (Scott) sells the kit as well as the fact that his car has the same kit on it. The only difference is that he's using ridetech's adjustable coil over shocks rather than DSE's shocks and springs. He did have them on his car originally though.:cool:

One other thing I can tell you is that those "adjustable" uppers have had some issues and there's a thread over on protouring.com about a pair that, under normal street driving, bent, and Marcus as well as the manufacturer refused to replace them. They claimed that the driver hit a curb but there was no evidence to prove it. No tire scuffs, no rim damage, nothing.

Wow! Please post a link to that !!

It's been a long time since I was over there because of how long it takes to load the site. I may have that thread in my favorites but it might take a while to find it again. It's several years old by now.

Where can i get that dse kit?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app
Thanks guys in comparing "kits" dse is about $500 more w all the same options w/o the ball joints. Any input as to what makes it better? Usit just more sorted out?

dse
$2115 front
Speed Kit 1
• Tubular Upper Control Arms
• Tubular Lower Control Arms
• Front Replacement Shocks (Shocks are DSE valved to match their springs rate and the timing of the jounce)
• 2” Drop Coil Springs
• DSE Tubular Anti-Roll Bar
• Chassis Braces Also designed to clear the stock inter-cooler, or front-mount inter-cooler pipes.

$1510
• Patented Swivel-Link™ Rear Control Arms
• Dropped Rear Spring Kit
• Rear replacement Shocks
• DSE Tubular Rear Anti-Roll Bar

Total - $3625

SPC Performance Tubular Lower A Arms / SPC Spring Seat Spacers / Progressive Rate Jounce Bumpers add $649.90

CHASSIS BRACE GM The Grand National version is designed to clear the stock intercooler, or front-mount intercooler pipes. Now includes the correct metric mounting hardware, including the GM specific 10mm thread forming screws.

$189

Total $3115
Now let's mention Ridetech..... $3,150 (Cheaper than both others AND you get single adjustable Coil Overs!)

Level 2 Complete suspension package for the G-Bodies:

* Tru-Turn system (which eliminates bump steer to 0.000'' throughout 5" of suspension travel) Includes Front upper & lower A-arms w/Delrin bushings, Tie rods, taller ball joints.

* Single Adjustable coil overs Front & Rear ( with a 1,000,000 mi warranty)
* Rear upper & lower control arms (Uppers are adjustable)

Both DSE & Ridetech's suspension products speak for themselves as both these companies and their cars seem to always be in the top 5 at every pro-touring event across the country and winning goodguys events all over the united states Testing their products in "Real world testing" so their customers get the best product possible. These are two companies actually design and make there products "In House". These two companies keep moving forward by adding new technology into their suspension products and the "New" Ridetech Tru-Turn system is testament to that.... 0.000" of bump steer is remarkable for our cars!

Awesome info scott and charlief1 thanks. Joel mentioned above its all in what you want in the end, I am not planning on racing I just want a nice riding street car. my last ride was a Pontiac G8 it handled unreal and rode great. I know I am not going get that from a 80's Gbody w/ a live rear axle vs a modern chassis w/ independent rear. I just want to want to get in drive the car to work or to a show or out to dinner w/ the wife and enjoy it. As it is now its just not enjoyable to me it rides like crap. I bought the car in 96 in 98 I completely rebuilt the suspension, energy bushings, all new springs, socks, ball joints, tie rods, etc. Its all stock stuff and it still rides like shit!!! I have less than 3K on it since 98 (i know sad) I have NOT replaced the body bushings or braced the car. I didn't want to send more than $2500 on this because i want also want to do the S10 spindle swap for economical brake upgrade. But if another $500 gets me where I want I will. I am a little naive when it comes to suspension geometry, I am basing all this on articles I read in Hot Rod, Popular Hot Rodding, and reading this forum. That's why i want to go w/ a kit that is hopefully sorted out that I can follow the instructions for install then give to an alignment shop at the end and have them get it right.

I did notice the ride tech package does not include sway bars or bracing so now your talking another 600-800 on top of that 3150.. Coil overs would be pretty sweet. Here goes the snowball effect again....

Subscribed... Will be doing this soon I hope.

Tad
87 GN
Sent from HTC Sensation

I did notice the ride tech package does not include sway bars or bracing so now your talking another 600-800 on top of that 3150.. Coil overs would be pretty sweet. Here goes the snowball effect again....
I guess it's a horse a piece kind of deal, with one kit you get sway bars but regular gas shocks & coil springs and with another kit you get single adjustable coil overs which normally cost $1,550 and no sway bars! I would opt for this and have the adjustability of the coil overs and run my stock sway bars for now until I saved up for the bars that I wanted... Sway bars are far more cheaper than a "Good set" of single adjustable coil overs.

I can even get this package down more than that by removing the S/A coil overs and going to a Non adjustable coil over that only adjusts ride height and that will free up more room for sway bars.....

Either DSE or Ridetech you will end up with a fantastic riding car that handles remarkably..... I would have put my car up against the G8 on the autocross any day, I have beat may a corvette and even a z06 on the autocross with my 1980's old Buick! :)

I agree with Scot on the post above! I actually owned a G8 GT at the same time as the GN being in its current state. I would say my GN even with 2/3 of the DSE kit NOT on the car could probably hang with the stock G8 GT. I only have the frame braces and DSE shocks and springs along with the BFG Rival tires as Scot mentioned in the second post and have beaten a new CTS-V at the last Good Guys autocross. My recent win at the local SCCA autocross was 4.3 seconds ahead of a similarly equipped '05 Mustang. I think that along speaks volumes to what the DSE stuff can do for these cars.

Charlief1 made a valid point as well that the key to a properly working suspension is to have everything working together and be designed for each other, like the RideTech and DSE kits.

My personal vote is for the DSE product since I have first hand experience with it and I had plenty of experience autocrossing the car stock to compare to. The RideTech stuff is also top notch though.

I understand that the DSE kit uses a short custom length front shock that is available ONLY from DSE! This is a very rare slip-up for DSE's typical stellar design. Others use standard length shocks all the way around. Something to think about before pulling trigger. Probably need to check on DSE's warranty on the front shocks.
Conrad

I would assume that because their springs lower the car 2"s a shorter shock is actually correct for this application . It's just like anything else that's custom built . It's designed to work with that suspension setup. Shorter shock lengths aren't really uncommon . When setting up a suspension correctly u should always measure at ride height before ordering shocks. They've just already done that for you.

Just like in the rear if you lower your car you want to check shock travel esp if you drag race the car. Some lowered cars will bottom out the shocks when leaving the line hard hence another reason for shorter shocks.

Back