Which Timing Chain?

I installed COMP Cams 3129 - COMP Cams Hi-Tech Roller Race Timing Sets from local speedshop.

"Cheap" and "reliable" are two different things Jeremy. Get a rollmaster and save yourself a lot of headache later. Make sure what your settings need to be and you should be good.

I ordered a Comp from AutoZone.

Yeah believe me, I know the difference between cheap and quality, I just spent $25K on my Stage 2! The point of this motor I'm building now is cheap just to see how far it goes. No need to last, just run. Average Joe build. Dont get me wrong, I'm doing everything correctly with proper machining, ARP fasteners, etc. But i'm doing a home port job on the heads and maybe intake, Hyper pistons, free cam/lifters/rods/springs, no baffled oil pan, cheap Felpro head gaskets. I'm talking CHEAP!!!!!!!!!!!! Although, I dont want to go with a stock style chain. looks like this is going to be a Comp Cams motor! Cam is a Comp 218/218, lifters and springs are Comp, now timing chain will be Comp. I'm hoping to crack the 10's open with this motor for low dollar.

I ordered a Comp from AutoZone.

Yeah believe me, I know the difference between cheap and quality, I just spent $25K on my Stage 2! The point of this motor I'm building now is cheap just to see how far it goes. No need to last, just run. Average Joe build. Dont get me wrong, I'm doing everything correctly with proper machining, ARP fasteners, etc. But i'm doing a home port job on the heads and maybe intake, Hyper pistons, free cam/lifters/rods/springs, no baffled oil pan, cheap Felpro head gaskets. I'm talking CHEAP!!!!!!!!!!!! Although, I dont want to go with a stock style chain. looks like this is going to be a Comp Cams motor! Cam is a Comp 218/218, lifters and springs are Comp, now timing chain will be Comp. I'm hoping to crack the 10's open with this motor for low dollar.

Jer. did you pick up the cam yet? You can pull those springs off whenever you want, even if I'm not around...

Jer. did you pick up the cam yet? You can pull those springs off whenever you want, even if I'm not around...

Nick, I havent had a chance to get to the farm. I'll prbably be heading there in a couple weeks. Thanks for your help brother!

P.S. I went ahead and bought a Comp 3129 from AutoZone.

Nick, I havent had a chance to get to the farm. I'll prbably be heading there in a couple weeks. Thanks for your help brother!

P.S. I went ahead and bought a Comp 3129 from AutoZone.

I noted my timing chain on my '87 Grand National has nylon on the chain. I assume this is to keep the chain noise from setting off the knock sensor. So, wouldn't replacing the timing chain with a double roller, without the nylon chain, defeat the purpose? Just curious here, not a genius.:rolleyes: Would a double roller affect the knock sensor at all?

Bruce '87 Grand National

Hi,
I used a Cloyes multi link chain in my recent rebuild, just because I was going very stock,and was worried about disturbing the knock sensor.I used the OE chain tensioner,which I think is a great idea for close to stock shortblocks. I have noticed that roller chains tend to stretch,and that leads to wide changes in cam timing. With it's iron gears and beefy construction, the multilink has will not stretch much. I think the primary reason to use a roller chain is that it has a definite advantage in the friction area. The multilink is probably stronger,and definitely cheaper. It all depends on the intended application. I'm happy with my choice. Good luck with yours.

"Cheap" and "reliable" are two different things Jeremy. Get a rollmaster and save yourself a lot of headache later. Make sure what your settings need to be and you should be good.
hey charlie, long time bud... is the rollmaster strong enough for my setup? Ive been steered towards a LS type chain that the corvettes are using. Do you have any opinions? I've got Jeff Rands old 1100+HP Ta motor, and I'm the guy that blew up during burnout out at littte river dragway about a year ago for the Buick event. Work has been crazy and I'm just now getting to repairs/rebuild

hey charlie, long time bud... is the rollmaster strong enough for my setup? Ive been steered towards a LS type chain that the corvettes are using. Do you have any opinions? I've got Jeff Rands old 1100+HP Ta motor, and I'm the guy that blew up during burnout out at littte river dragway about a year ago for the Buick event. Work has been crazy and I'm just now getting to repairs/rebuild
This thread is 6 years old now and rollmaster has had a few issues since then. I honestly don't know who's chain would be the best now since all of them seem to have suffered failures of some sort.:(

You know you only have a little over a week to get her done for this year, right?:eek: Glad so see yo still working on it. This time make sure to bring a few more tools so we don't have to scrounge around for them,;)