You can type here any text you want

which valve cover gasket to use?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

t-typinator

I have these 2 different kinds of valve cover gaskets, Anybody have any suggestions as to which is the best for stopping leaks,+ any tips on installation ,like should silicone sealer be used along with them etc.
I have stock valve covers.
I just have a very small leak since i tightened them down,but no leak would be even better.
The valve covers were not very tight + were probably like that for a while so the gaskets on it now are probably not in too good of shape because of it.
I have these so figured why not try to get rid of it completely.

P1010269.jpgP1010267.jpg

Cork gaskets with your gasket sealer of choice on both sides should do the trick. Cork is the best for stopping leaks. I use them for tranny pans, oil pans, and will be using cork on my valve covers soon. They absorb some of the oil and expand to form a better seal between the heads and the valve cover.

HTH,
Zack

I like using the Neoprene rubber gaskets. As long as you do not over torque them they provide a great seal.

Cork gaskets with your gasket sealer of choice on both sides should do the trick. Cork is the best for stopping leaks. I use them for tranny pans, oil pans, and will be using cork on my valve covers soon. They absorb some of the oil and expand to form a better seal between the heads and the valve cover.

HTH,
Zack
X2, I like the cork gaskets.

The blue ones look like the Fel Pro permadry. I could not get those to fit my stock valve covers. The metal in the corners of the gasket would not fit in the channel in the valve cover. I used the cork dry-no sealant-and they are working fine. No leaks!

I've had the Permadry blue jobs on my valvecovers for 7 years, no leaks.

I just installed the cork identical to your picture. No sealer is required as long as everything is clean. Don't over torque or the gasket will "pop out" from between the sealing surfaces.

Mine were still the original from the factory - cork

I learned a long time ago to use cork gaskets on my valve covers. Many of my cars had solid lifters, so the covers were off and on often. I use form a gasket sealer on gasket and stick to VC and no sealer gasket to head. Clean head good then torque 'em down and the gasket gets a nice groove in them. Gasket stays on covers and they come off easy.
Never any leaks and are used over and over.

Those bottom ones are felpro perma dry plus. Trim the inside metal corners to fit in the valve covers and use them babies! They must be trimmed to fit stock valve covers but they seal like no other. They are rubber ribs with a steel core, designed to be reusable, and have tabs to keep you from oversquishing them with the bolts. They are not cheap and they are the best out there BAR NONE! They'll still be reusable 15 years from now. I have them on mine and love them if you can't tell.

I will also add that i'd run cork over regular rubber any day of the week, but those are not regular rubber. If you don't use them PM me the price. I'm building another car soon.

Thanks for the info everybody,sounds like there is fans of both types.
What i will probably do is pull off a valve cover + see whats there + what everything looks like,+ put the two diff types in place + get a feel for which i want to use.
Since people seem to have luck with both types.

Thanks Again

Those bottom ones are felpro perma dry plus. Trim the inside metal corners to fit in the valve covers and use them babies! They must be trimmed to fit stock valve covers but they seal like no other. They are rubber ribs with a steel core, designed to be reusable, and have tabs to keep you from oversquishing them with the bolts. They are not cheap and they are the best out there BAR NONE! They'll still be reusable 15 years from now. I have them on mine and love them if you can't tell.

+1 on this. I've been running the perma-dry for years with no isues. I've had em' on and off half a dozen times (at lleast!) and still no leaks. Also, when you do take em' off there is nothing to scrape. I just shoot em' with some parts cleaner and make sure I have a good dry suface on both sides and on they go with NO worries about leaks!

you got a fel pro part number for those? theyre exactly what i'm looking for, havent seen them anywhere!

when I received the blue valve cover gasket it had three rows of rubber blade on the gasket itself (it supports to seal better), but it wouldn't fit the stock valve cover since I would have to trim the gasket to fit the cover, and also the heads is not machine flat. I used Victor gasket and no leaks at all, since the gasket is made of a thin metal sandwich between two cork material. I used RTV on the valve cover and then place the gasket, but used no RTV on the heads since you don't know if you're going to remove the valve covers in the future.
Search: VS39763TC | Valve Cover Gasket | AutoZone.com

you got a fel pro part number for those? theyre exactly what i'm looking for, havent seen them anywhere!

I dont remember the part number but I think I may have posted it on this board back when I got them. I went in the parts store looking for cork and ordered these instead, after them showing me a set that fit something else. It was a shock when they wouldn't fit, but I knew it was worth the hassle to trim the corners. I worked in a transmission shop at the time, and I found similar designs being used on trans pans with great success, which is why I had faith in them then and still do.

Any of the cork type gaskets will seal the best with the variety of valve covers out there. None hold the gasket as well as the stock one. Cork will require retorques to keep from leaking.

Back