WHITE or BLACK, Time for a repaint

Tfreestyle

Hi guys, im pretty new to the forums, My name is Thomas and im 22 living in los angeles. Ive had my 86 GN for about a year now and have been building it up. Well its definately time for a repaint. I have always loved White GNs and Ts and have been considering doing the color change even though I would be happy either way, white or black. What does everyone else think?

I will be honest with everyone that I originally got my GN as a car to flip since I got it through a trade and cash deal but had decided to keep her for awhile since I always wanted a GN. Unfortunately spun a bearing about 2 months after getting her but now she has a fully built bottom end thanks to Archie at GN1 Performance. Unfortunately I will only be able to keep her for another year or so unless I can figure out a way to get financially stable after all the money ive dumped into her and having to go back to school full time(will be barely working) but I am trying to figure out a way to work it out so she stays with me.. With that said I do have to worry a bit about resale value. How would a white GN fair in the market compared to a freshly repainted black one? The car will be sanded down to either bare metal or original primer before the repaint, reprimed then two stage paint(probably dupont but we'll see). The work is being done by myself and a friend, no worries, real paint booth, experience, etc and will be documenting it all.

The car has alot of mods :) ...
- PT70 P-trim
- 55lb Siemens injectors (switching to 72s and alkycontrol soon)
- Kenne Bell 70mm Throttle Body and Plenum
- Kenne Bell Fuel Pressure Regulator
- GN1 Performance Front Mount intercooler w/3in Piping
- 3in Cold air intake
- 3in Downpipe with external wastegate
- Underdrive Pulleys
- Headers from Hye Tech Performance
- Ported and Polished Heads
- 212/212 Isky Cam
- double roller timing chain
- Fully Built trans w/3800 stall converter non-lockup
- ATR Rear sway bar
- Translator Plus with LS1 MAF
- Scanmaster
- Boxed upper and lower control arms
- B-body 12" brakes w/ tubular upper arms
- Walbro pump with Full Throttle Hot Wire Kit
- March Pulleys
- Single Shot 3" Exhaust
- Turbo Saver Oil Cooler
- Dual ramcharger fans
- Newer radiator
- Mini spool

here are a couple pics of Archies white GN from the so cal cruise, I hope he doesnt mind...

archieswhitegn.jpg

archieswhitegn2.jpg

and here is a pic of RUQWKNF27s white T, I hope you dont mind, im posting a link to your for sale ad too.

WhiteT.jpg

for some more pics there are a few guys selling their white GNs and Ts in the classifieds, hope you dont mind me posting...

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/cars-sale/242149-87-t-white-w02-pkg-show-go.html

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/cars-sale/236937-86-gn-sale.html

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/cars-sale/240800-87-turbo-t-white-w-black-trim.html

The first step is decide whether or not you're really going to be able to keep it, or if you're going to have to sell it, because that really affects the answer.

If you can come up with a way to keep it, it seems pretty obvious that you like white, so I would do that.

If you really can't imagine any way that you'll be able to keep it due to finances, I would paint it black. Sure there's plenty of us that can appreciate a white GN but I think if you're going to put in on the market you'll find more people interested in the car being painted the correct color, a lot of people are attracted to these cars in the first place because of the all black appearance.

Not to say that you won't have a buyer for a nice white GN, I'm sure it will still sell if it's a nice car, I just think you'd slightly improve your chances of a good sale if it's a black GN.

Just my two cents. If I were you I'd figure out how to keep it!!

Right now there is no real way to tell if I will be able to keep it. I am working on a couple products for the audi S4 and have a couple other small business plans that im working out the details on, not huge money deals but enough to keep myself supported while I finish off school. If all goes well I will be able to keep the GN but cant predict the future. I have a 99 mustang gt and a 84 vette cloning to the 96 grand sport that im finishing up to sell so that will hold me over for awhile. luckily I can do my own paint or have friends to do it for a low price for very quality work. Any product ideas for a GN that could fund the "I need to keep my GN fund"

If you are going to sell it, there really no other answer besides black. If you are going to keep ot, go with white! most people wouldnt buy a white GN unless it was a T Type originally white.