You can type here any text you want

Who has girdle with no broken studs??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87LtdT

If you have installed a girdle & studs and the studs have not broken I'd like to pick your brain for some info.

I'm obviously having some problems.

Thanks, Bob Kolhouse

ya we had the same problem.. swapped over to ARP hardware an now no more snapping studs :cool:

ive used whatvever hardware came with it but the clearance side to side didnt vary more than .0005. My girdles are milled on the side that has the least clearance to achieve equal clearance on each side. Its usually a few thousandths variance. If one side has .008 and one side is at .004 after shimming or using the spacers you will have uneven preload.

Bob

I have installed a few RJC girdles with no pan rail studs breaking, using the supplied hardware. IMO what is previously stated about different side variation is valid. Altho I believe if you keep the clearance @ min. (pan rail to girdle) they will survive. I believe the breakage comes from excessive clearance. (say you have .005 and it goes up to.008--.009 in other places). When torquing to specs (this will pull the girdle flat to the block pan rails) you are putting a greater pull on the ones with more clearance thus they break. In a nut shell excessive clearance!!!!! I remove shims untill I have no more than. 004 anywhere. I believe from our past conversations you are in engineering so I'm sure you are aware that around each pan rail hole there is some raised area (the machine process of drilling and tapping). I have used a stone to flatten that out. Best of luck. Lee Thompson My phone # is still the same.

Iv'e also done a few girdled engines and have never had any problem with the hardware supplied by RJC. My machinists (Kevin) also goes for .004 ths. clearence but he also makes sure the pan rail and girdle are FLAT. As Lee says just run a stone across your pan rail and you'll see the high spots.

Iv'e also done a few girdled engines and have never had any problem with the hardware supplied by RJC. My machinists (Kevin) also goes for .004 ths. clearence but he also makes sure the pan rail and girdle are FLAT. As Lee says just run a stone across your pan rail and you'll see the high spots.
RJC girdles are always flat from my experience others are not . The block is never flat from my experiences. I like .003-.004 myself.

RJC girdles are always flat from my experience others are not . The block is never flat from my experiences. I like .003-.004 myself.

Not from my experience. The last RJC girdle was .017 out of flat as measured on a granite surface plate. Jason told me that was normal and not to worry about it.......... I sent it out and had it surface ground to make it flat. I mill the pan rails to ensure they are flat.

Back