who sells emission(im240) chips for msd50 inj.turbodave?

My friend has a Joe lubrant chip for
50s. He passed with it. Mybe he'll let u borrow it. He's not driving his car right now. I'll ask him.

Originally posted by azturbo
anybody? need fuctioning egr

I don't sell chips any longer, but I do have a smog file for the 50's that I based from the BBKJ image.

I used a JL street chip for MSD 50's and passed easily. 20* WOT timing and fuel curve for 17lbs of boost.

Contrary to poular belief, it is not the chip that is the magic bullet that will let any car pass emissions. The car has to be in a good state of tune, fresh oil and filter (very helpful), fresh O2 sensor, no vauum leaks and have the best fuel pressure to minimize O2 fluctations and/or minimize the BLM/INT variances from 128. The trick with the chips is to have the engine fan come on at a later point to help put more heat into the engine (which makes the motor more effecient at burning the hydrocarbons).

Too rich and it fails...but it will also fail if it is too lean. So you cannot simply lower the fuel pressure as low as it'll go.

Catalytic converters are only needed to clean the emissions of a car that is out of tune. As such, a car with a good tune can pass emissions without a catalytic converter. I make and sell these emissions chips (which are the factory recall chip with higher fan ON temps and some recalibration sfor injector size) for $15. I cannot say for sure if my chip has allowed 100% of the cars to pass, to whom I sold these chips, but I have never heard from a disatisfied buyer that his didn't pass emissions with my chip.

turbodave where or who can i get this type chip got one laying around my setup is close to yours but a 49 and a v4 you could tune till the cows come home but without a cat and egr you dont have a prayer of passing im240

Azturbo,

My car passed with 50s and Joe L. chip and so did my friends car.
U don't need the emmissions chip to pass. If u know Jack Evers
he to passed but he dump a crap load of alky in his gas tank to get it to pass. Believe me u can do it without an emissions chip.
I've been in and out of the emissions place in Az.

i do have a jl chip from when i got my 50s. does this chip have egr fuction?

Originally posted by Scott231
Contrary to poular belief, it is not the chip that is the magic bullet that will let any car pass emissions.......Catalytic converters are only needed to clean the emissions of a car that is out of tune. As such, a car with a good tune can pass emissions without a catalytic converter.

Sorry Scott, cannot agree with your cat statement. If a full IM-240 test is conducted on a T-R, it will NOT pass the NOX requirements without a good cat. It will pass a sniffer, 2-gas test with no cat, but it is required to clean up the exhaust for NOX.

Cat for NOX?

I was under the impression that NOX was reduced or controlled by the EGR, not the Cat. JMHO. Not in the smog business or anything.

Re: Cat for NOX?

Originally posted by Mac in SD
I was under the impression that NOX was reduced or controlled by the EGR, not the Cat. JMHO. Not in the smog business or anything.

I am not a scientist or expert either, I just work on these cars. When I could not get them to pass the IM-240 a few years ago when the state changed from the sniffer test, I put on a cat and it passed.

Well........

I dont wanna get into a pissing match, but for NOx, the EGR operation is the more important factor. If you dont have EGR it WILL NOT pass. If you do, it will PROBABLY pass. If EGR flow is modified, you may need a TWC for that "edge". My car passes ASM5015 without a cat. Mind you, ASM tests differ from IM240 in that ASM runs a steady state test. IN otherwords I run the car at 15 MPH at 50% inertial load (when I checked it loaded the car with something like 17hp load). IM240 is more like a real driving simulation. Idle, cruise, accel, decel.

There is little reason why a TR with a properly functioning EGR system, and in good tune, cant pass emissions. A cat would only make it pass by more margin. I believe Mike Pitts had a 218 cam and failed without a cat, then passed with one. So a cat will definately help, but in a stocker without internal mods (cam, heads/intake with emissions components modified) should go thru no problem, as is evidenced by my own car.

http://www.turbojim.com:231/jim/mods.htm has a screenshot of my car after a dyno test. Stock long block, MSD50's and no cat.

I tested my car last month. I live in chicago so i had to take the IM-240. I have a dfi on the car and failed really bad.I had a cat on the car but the egr is blocked off. I put the stock ecm with a 20 deg chip, changed the o2 put 5 gallons of 93 octane with 1 full bottle of heet in the tank. Took it over to the testing center the day before they were to suspend my license and thankfully it passed. Now I dont have a egr so tell me HOW did it pass ?

:D
Jeff C
87 T

There are various "versions" of the IM-240. The full cycle is a 240 second, or 4 minute loaded dyno test simulating city/country driving. All the exhaust gases are collected from this run and computer analyzed to give results. This is the EPA test that the auto makers must also comply with among other required tests.

Only a few areas of the country run this full test as the computer equipment is VERY expensive and is done buy state run, or controlled, stations.

Not knowing exactally what your test specifically checked, or the parameters locally for pass/fail numbers, cannot answer your question. Also, your car may have unique settings or components that help meet local requirements.

Even our local modified cars easily pass HC and CO, but the NOX requirement is where they fail generally. No way will a T-R pass without a cat, and not seen one pass locally without a working EGR.

Originally posted by whtturbot
I put the stock ecm with a 20 deg chip, changed the o2 put 5 gallons of 93 octane with 1 full bottle of heet in the tank. Took it over to the testing center the day before they were to suspend my license and thankfully it passed. Now I dont have a egr so tell me HOW did it pass ?
:D
Jeff C
87 T

HEET is basically alcohol, and alcohol radically lowers combustion temperatures, leading to lower NOx? NOx being the byproduct of high combustion temps.
Again, just a guess...:)