who will win

gnkid1987

my friend has got a 1967 firebird with a stock 400 auto. its fully restored nice car (show queen). he and my other friend are convinced that he will smoke me. i have a 87 GN with a kenne bell intake, pitbull exhaust, ajustible fuel pressure regulator. my car is getting painted and should be done in a few weeks . by the time my car is painted i should have a scanmaster,ultrachip, high floe fuel pump ,and 30lb injectors. but in the meantime hes been bragging that he will smoke me and he says "you just got a six". who do you think will win?;)

i had a buddy like that one time. he had a 69 firebird though. he was talking all ,
kinds of sh$t. he had a real hooked up 455 though. i raced him and smoked his ass. to make things wose for him he totaled his car , didnt get hurt though, thank god. you shouldnt have a problem taking care of that pontiac. at the time i didnt have half the mods on my car that i do now, good luck.:D

it wouldent bother me munch if he dident dis my car you know he bought his car all done and he tells everyone that he did this and that but he cant even turn a wrench. i stripped my car by myself and doing the bodywork myself and my uncle is gonna paint it soon. and its sorta insulting for someone to dis your car espically in the middle of class in school around all of your friends. i cant wait til i shut him up

i wanna do it on the drag strip so he can get embarrased i front of hundreds of people and i can get my revenge

It will probably run the forth in the mid to high 14s.

Shouldn't be any problem for you.

While I like the firebirds and such I say go smoke the guy for being a butthole.

Sean

You should win, I would think you will run mid 13's depending on your launch.

look at it this way, even if you lose, you will look good doing it. I saw a freshly painted GN at the track last week, it ran high 13's/low 14's but my God did it look good doing it. I miss mine. I think its almost time to get another one.
New has been/never will be a more beautiful car.

I'd say you will win, especially at the track, I remember a few years ago following a nice early 70's 455 t/a to the track, with a nice sounding cam. So after I got there I made it a point to watch him out of curousity, to see how well that beast was going to run. Ended up running mid to high 14's as he couldn't hook off the line, I was rather disappointed. I also owned a 87 T-type with alot less mods than you,( in fact the only mods were a chip, K&N Conical filter, and gutted cat) and ended up running a 14.08 1/4 @ 97 mph with a slow 2.20 60ft, also this was on street tires and the only time I ever had the car at the track, I ran it four times that nite. So I say, call him out and make a believer out of him, in front of everyone, you know what they say, ignorance is bliss. On a side note, I raced a coworker that had a 67 firebird with the 400 big block, with my vette one evening and I easily took him, of course, the vette even then, was modded.

Be careful! Stock Chevy 400's are one thing but Ponchos are a different story. Chances are he wont be able to hook it to turn a decent time, but a mild rebuild on a 400 does make power. It's all in the heads and cam with the ponchos. If he has upper end work he could pose a challenge to you. As always be careful out there.

Respect is never granted on a drag strip, street or classroom. It's freely given based upon your actions and behaviors towards others.

Then again you could stab him in the neck! JK Don't do that :( You'll go to jail and won't be allowed congical visits with your ride :p

i ran the time in my signature with 100 octane, 20 lbs boost
get slicks and turn your boost up, and get the car tuned right

his jaw is gonna drop...when he gets his ass whipped by a V6 Buick

Originally posted by kshef
his jaw is gonna drop...when he gets his ass whipped by a V6 Buick

that what i tell my friends but they do not belive me. no matter what info i get them or who they talk to the still dont belive me. and the agony is that my car is not done yet due to set backs and finally it will go in for paint this weekend and should be ready to drive in two weeks( so i can let the paint cure). only one of my friends belives me that ill beat the firebird but he is convinced that 87 GNs do not have 355 ft lbs of toque stock. hes got a 70 SS chevelle with a 383 stroker bored .60 over and has alot of work done to it. he is putting in the motor next week. but i think i have a chance to beat him too :cool:

i will post with the result

Wish I had a GN when I turned 16.... wait, no I don't. I'd have killed myself. I had a Plymouth Acclaim 91 w/ a 2.5L 4-cyl. Then that summer I bought my black SC 5-speed. Got enough tickets with it. Its only now about as quick as a stock GN, maybe a few tenths slower.

Anyhow I can't wait to hear you beating both these guys. Why is it V8 guys run there mouths so bad and can't believe you even want to race with a V6. I have schooled a few Z28's and many 5.0 and 4.6 GT stangs. They just talk **** and accuse me of either have a supercharged 5.0 (thats what most thing I have), or running nitrous. It pisses them off more when I pop the hood and let them count plug wires and look for a nitrous line. One guy made me pop the trunk and lift up the spare tire cover, he was convinced I had a sneaky pete system on the car. God forbid his 3.73 geared, headers, x-pipe, flowmasters, and mac intake equipped 5.0 notchback got beaten by my SC. I even let him drive my car and I drove his and he beat me in his car with my car. Then he finally came around and asked if I wanted to sell it.

Hope you got some mods, a 400 poncho with a cam, exhaust, gears, and some tires could run into the low 13's. You gotta remember, back in 67 they didn't have low compression EPA happy V8's either, they had some muscle. **** a 426 hemi was 425 hp, 440's were laying down 390 same as 03 Cobra's. I'd think his 400 is at least about 350-360 hp. I'd take a late 60's mopar over almost any other car from its time. But I don't think the poncho will be a pushover. The chevelle is heavy, so you can probably get him, but I'd be worried a bit about the T/A if you are stock. If you got high octane, exhaust, and slicks, you can up the boost and might win if you get the launch. If you are stock, I hate to say it, but you might get owned.

He is not a bonafide car guy if he doesnt know about TBuicks. Re race: We cant be sure of what he has. If its stock to mild , youll win for sure. But dont under estimate the potential of the Pont motor to make power/tork if it is modded. Roller cams and aluminum heads give an easy 100 hp bolt on to these motors. And it doesnt have to be a rumpity cam to do it. It does have to be geared and at least ported heads to go fast though.
I think this guy is stuck in the past and has no real hardware.
The race will probly seem backwards where he'll dig in on takoff , and youll spool up and pass him.

note:My buddies 69 Firbird runs 12.55 at 110 and gets 18 cruise mpg with roller cammed 455, and th 700 trans/2.73 gears/93 octane. Thats definately GN power/mpg capability.

before i took my car to school and people actually saw it, they didnt believe me when i told them the performance levels that i should get. they would usually just kind of shrugg and give that "yeah, sure, whatever" face. they had never heard of a GN before and thought it was just an old piece of cr*p car. they sure were surprised when i showed them my timeslip. the "fast" guy in school tryed to race me the friday before i took my car to the track; but i didnt race because it was in an area of town known to be swarmin with cops. one of my friends told me that he said it was a good thing i hadnt raced, because i would have smoked him in my buick(he has an 01 formula that runs 13.6). good luck with your race, im sure you will smoke him.

-jeff

I am actually more worried about the chevelle because my friend with the firebird is sorta a chicken. he never pulled holeshots or really nailed his throttle. he says that he dosent want to break any thing i think hes just scared he will break something. my friend in his chevelle is crazy and i just found out today that he just brought his car to get mini tubed and have a roll cage put i think it is stupid because its an orignal 70 SS he should just keep it the way it is.

last i checked, minitubs and roll cages didnt really make a car any faster. if anything, it may slow him down.

-jeff