Why Buicks are Dying

Norwalk turned into a non TR event.. at least this year....BG was good until it turned into a 1/8 mile track :mad:... attendance was definitely down last year.

For sure the seat tank in your truck is not the greatest idea someone had and yeah because of that most folks would say the GN is safer but that truck is heavy metal, the GN would be considered plastic up to it.

Yeah the Tech now days does make the cars safer I agree. And you mentioned NHRA... so you have a roll bar in that Cat?

I'm jumping in again.

I never ever want Buick to build another "performance" vehicle ever again. Nothing! Nada!

I don't want our group to grow. I don't want to be compared to the next generation Turbo Buick. I don't want my car or any of your cars to become what a 96 Mustang, or a 88 Camaro, or an 89 Corvette, or any other used piece of shit worn out tired sad left over performance car becomes. Because that's exactly what happens when the next best thing hits the market. Everything that came before it will become the one we forget about.

I'm perfectly happy having my little piece of history go unchanged. Not like what happened to Columbus day.

Norwalk turned into a non TR event.. at least this year....BG was good until it turned into a 1/8 mile track :mad:... attendance was definitely down last year.

Beech Bend isn’t an 1/8th. mile track, some classes last year chose to run 1/8th instead of 1/4.

I'm jumping in again.

I never ever want Buick to build another "performance" vehicle ever again. Nothing! Nada!

I don't want our group to grow. I don't want to be compared to the next generation Turbo Buick. I don't want my car or any of your cars to become what a 96 Mustang, or a 88 Camaro, or an 89 Corvette, or any other used piece of shit worn out tired sad left over performance car becomes. Because that's exactly what happens when the next best thing hits the market. Everything that came before it will become the one we forget about.

I'm perfectly happy having my little piece of history go unchanged. Not like what happened to Columbus day.
Well no one remembers the l88 corvettes because of how badass the new zr1 is and a gt500 is a joke with the new mustangs out there , and if you want to get laughed out of a car auction bring a 70 hemi challanger when you could have a hellcat. If a new car is done well it will enhance the old versions of them , the cars you bring up were jokes - barely even performance cars . But I hope the tide has not changed where we won’t even see a new grand national performance car unless you have an electrical engineering degree.

I'm sure the guys from the generation before you, driving their 455 GS Skylark's, were saying the exact same thing as you are now when this strange thing started to appear on the Buick showroom floors. They were probably sick to their stomach's. Meanwhile it helped catapult the dying Buick brand and eventually led to the '87 Buick GNX...

002.jpg

Beech Bend isn’t an 1/8th. mile track, some classes last year chose to run 1/8th instead of 1/4.

Yes I'm aware, and they started that about 3 years ago.. really took the thrill factor out.

I thought it was a seamless transition from my rusty old GS400, to my shiny new WE4.

It's human nature to remember the past more fondly than the present, if Buick were to bring back a performance car of either name plate they would need to build a car near the top of a performance class for working class dollars, not build a V6 300HP AWD Camry. ;)

I'm sure the guys from the generation before you, driving their 455 GS Skylark's, were saying the exact same thing as you are now when this strange thing started to appear on the Buick showroom floors. They were probably sick to their stomach's. Meanwhile it helped catapult the dying Buick brand and eventually led to the '87 Buick GNX...

002.jpg

Exactly! So we agree then?

I never want to feel the way those guys did when the TRs hit the show room floor. I don’t want some gay-ass four-door family car branded as a performance vehicle stealing the Turbo Regal glory.

So no. I am not eager to see another Buick performance car in the future.

And back in the 80's the V8 guys didn't want some wimpy V6 being the performance car from Buick and look how that turned out.
Maybe in a few more years we get something from Buick that 500hp+?

You never know? Who would have thought back in the early 80's.

Manufacturers are now focusing on SUV because of consumer demand. Other than the SRT, Vette, and Mustang breeds you have to go exotic or at least foreign for new performance cars. Torquey cars are getting fewer.

Manufactures can go scratch their asses.

I have never bought a new car in my life. And never will.

I have never even sold a single car in my life. I Just need a car to do a job. Point A to point B. Then throw it away for the slightest problem. Just like a cheap tool from Harbor Freight.

It's liberating.

Manufactures can go scratch their asses.

I have never bought a new car in my life. And never will.

I have never even sold a single car in my life. I Just need a car to do a job. Point A to point B. Then throw it away for the slightest problem. Just like a cheap tool from Harbor Freight.

It's liberating.
How do you own a turbo Buick if you throw away a car for the slightest problem?
Maybe you owned one for about one hour?

How do you own a turbo Buick if you throw away a car for the slightest problem?
Maybe you owned one for about one hour?
There are tools and there are toys.

My daily drivers are tools. My Buick is a toy.

And you may be surprised to hear that my Buick hardly gives me any reliability problems. Project tasks I choose to take on because of my desire for creativity .

Last edited:
There are tools and there are toys.

My daily drivers are tools. My Buick is a toy.

And you may be surprised to hear that my Buick hardly gives me any reliability problems. Project tasks I choose to take on because of my desire for creativity .
Oh that was more directed not towards you but our cars as a whole - if you have trouble free Buick turbo’s then enjoy the unicorns you have - mine have always needed a trunk Richard Clark , that being a play on the trunk monkey to pop out at every red light and fix what’s wrong with my car

Oh that was more directed not towards you but our cars as a whole - if you have trouble free Buick turbo’s then enjoy the unicorns you have - mine have always needed a trunk Richard Clark , that being a play on the trunk monkey to pop out at every red light and fix what’s wrong with my car
Well my car is somewhat like Joeys car,as I have never had any trouble with it. Now Richard just built me a new motor I guess you could say for ha ha’s and I don’t expect any trouble. Now the way Joey and Jack put his car together I am not surprised he doesn’t have trouble.

We all have opinions on whether we might or might not buy a phantom new GN/GS. But the OP was wondering why all the current owners don’t support the current events.

Well I think you are seeing the answer in the replies - there are only a certain percentage of turbo owners that are going to travel to shows and as the number of turbo cars is shrinking so will the participation. We don’t have any new blood coming in. So unless Buick comes out with something ( highly unlikely) or we as a group open things up and welcome what may not be the norm , this will probably continue as our group gets older and our car count continue to dwindle.