Why can I shift my transmission without pressing the button on the shifter?

Berman

Don't you need to press the button on the shifter for your car to shift from park to drive? The whole shifter handle/button assembly was broken off my car as I got the car, so I have just a stick. But it shifts just fine. I've never had another auto car where you don't need to press the button. Is this normal? Can't imagine it is. Weirdness..

This happened to me once, at the track of all places. I could pull the shifter from Park to 1st and back without touching the button.

My problem was a small spring that's down in the console at the bottom of the shifter had broken. This spring is what controls the button and makes it pop out. I just rebent the spring end that had broken off and went racing. Hope this helps.

There is a plastic tab that sticks up out of the top of the chrome "stick". When you push the button on the T-handle, it pushes down on this plastic tab. The plastic tab is threaded and you can adjust it up and down. If it's too high, when the T-handle is instaled, it pushes the tab down and you therefore don't need to push the button to move the gear selector. In that case, you just wind the tab down so it sits lower.

Pop the handle off and try adjusting it. There's a horseshoe clip on the front of the T-handle that has to come out before you pull it off.

Jim

You guys misunderstand; I DON'T have the shifter handle. All I have is a chrome stick. No plastic piece on it or anything.

Thanks for the info though. Maybe I shouldn't 'fix' the problem until I get a shifter handle though. :D

I understood what you said. If the spring has broken the plastic tab that sticks out of the top of the the chrome shifter rod (that pushes down when you push the side button in) will drop down into the rod.

Originally posted by Drthv8r
I understood what you said. If the spring has broken the plastic tab that sticks out of the top of the the chrome shifter rod (that pushes down when you push the side button in) will drop down into the rod.

Er, except I have no plastic tab either. :eek: Just a chrome stick. Hmm.. looks like I probably need to buy this stuff.

Well ya sure had me laughing at this one.

Kinda reminds me of the post in which the guy said he bought a car without an engine....AND IT WOULDN'T START.:D

I have a similar problem on my 87 GN. My white pin still springs back on its own, but not far enough. I can move shifter anywhere any time! I went from 1st to neutral at the track. Thank God I didn't push a little farther! I originally broke my handle and drove it for months pushing the pin down by hand. One day it went down and only returned part way. I don't know if this info will help anyone help Berman or I. Hope so cause we need it! If our problems are in the console could someone tell me how to get into this area? Thanks in advance for any help.

Originally posted by Berman

Er, except I have no plastic tab either. :eek: Just a chrome stick. Hmm.. looks like I probably need to buy this stuff.

Yep - or check a salvage yard. You're missing everything that locks the chrome stick in place. It should still lock when you shut off the key, though, to keep from accidentally dropping it out of park when it's not running. That's a different mechanism.

Jim

I was just about to make a new thread about this.

My 86 Ttype has the same trouble. The button doesn't do anything. Except I can change from any gear to any gear at any time.. even in park.

I took the handle off and the little white stick had fallen down into the chrome shaft. There must be something I'm missing down at the bottom that keeps the white stick pushed up.

Any clues?

park, reverse has a ''gate'' to lock it in thoes places. you need to push the button to make it come unlocked from these gates. this is so you cant go from drive to reverse, or park to reverse without pushing the button.four your safty and the trans. safty.you may have the spring missing that puts the shifter in thoes gates as you shift. when you get down there and take a look you will see what i mean.

When you say "down there" do you mean under the car/above the trannie?

Another thing I noticed is that I have quite an excessive amount of "play" in the shifter arm. How can I tighten that up?

For most of you:

As mentioned before, there is a spring at the base of the chrome lever. This spring holds the white plastic "thingy" up inside the handle. If it has fallen down, just remove the console (4 screws - 2 inside compartment - 2 under ash tray). Reattach the spring and put back together. Its very easy, takes 15 minutes.

LOL...BLACK6PACK maybe your post will sink in finally. LOOK in the console people. Hey I tried to point this out to them.:rolleyes:

So what are you trying to say, Darth?
That there is some sort of spring somewhere? :D haha

I'll be tearing that sucker apart tonight.

the play in your shifter could come from the linkage on the trans. look on the drivers side of the trans, look to see if any bushings are gone or loose bolts.and down there is under console,inside the car. just try to get to the bottom of the shifter handle, and to get all the way down you must remove the console cover. take your ash tray out and remove the two phillips screws, should tilt up and pull back the front is held in by tabs that just hold it down. your shifter handle is held on by a clip you can see under the handle, just pull the clip out ( clip looke like a ''U'')and the handle will pop right off.