Why Do we never run into fast imports on the street??

Originally posted by The Radius Kid
Sounds good,at least you're not into 200 mph stickers.
I take it you're not into racing through traffic in the thing either?
Works for me.:)
No not all! The car is fairly stealthy. Has small Buschur racing stickers on the side windows,and a three and half inch tailpipe that sticks out the back and runs up to the turbo. It is a nice car and my favorite color.:D The real only giveaway to the fact that this maybe a fast car is the big front mount innercooler.

I was out taking a few turbolink runs before I put the car up for the winter and.... boost set around 15 -18 psi a nice running and DR'd 300zx TT gave me a nice view of his tailights.I was very unprepared,but I don't want to make excuses either,a kill is a kill by my own rules.

But I'll be damned if it will happen again.:cool:

This is where it gets interesting.
I'll agree that race gas is not a true "street" fuel,but how many times have we seen in the fish/kill section where guys have had some race fuel left in the tank and used to beat a Mudstain/Ricer/Camaro/Firebird/Corvette/Etc. in an impromptu street race.
I don't blame him,I wouldn't detune the car to run on street gas either.
BTW,when was the last time anyone cruised B/G and saw a nine second car tanking up on Sunoco 94?
Not me,never.
E-testing is a pain,but once it's over...

Originally posted by Randy Greenoe
No not all! The car is fairly stealthy. Has small Buschur racing stickers on the side windows,and a three and half inch tailpipe that sticks out the back and runs up to the turbo. It is a nice car and my favorite color.:D The real only giveaway to the fact that this maybe a fast car is the big front mount innercooler.

They're the worst kind!:eek: :)

Originally posted by The Radius Kid
This is where it gets interesting.
I'll agree that race gas is not a true "street" fuel,but how many times have we seen in the fish/kill section where guys have had some race fuel left in the tank and used to beat a Mudstain/Ricer/Camaro/Firebird/Corvette/Etc. in an impromptu street race.
I don't blame him,I wouldn't detune the car to run on street gas either.
BTW,when was the last time anyone cruised B/G and saw a nine second car tanking up on Sunoco 94?
Not me,never.
E-testing is a pain,but once it's over...

But if you read the start of this post the criteria was quite clear.

I said.

If there is such a large amount of them out there then why does it seem that most of us(with the exception of the almost stock ones) are having no problem handling them.

If you would listen to this crowd almost every one of them and there buddys has a car rooming the streets that can beat a turbo buick .If this is true then why arn't they!!

Is it because that if they keep them streetable with 17 to 18 lbs of boost full interior etc. then they arn't quick enough??

So when people keep posting things about 9 sec race gas car that is obveously running more then 17-18 lbs of boost.
Using it as an example trying to prove some that lots of streetable ones are out there proves nothing except that randy has a race car with plates that is running race fuel at higher levels then posted.

It proves nothing about how many truely streetable import cars . Are out rooming the streets and running quick.

Funny if there are so many of them out and around that only two people out of over 300 views have shared an experience in which a slightly modded GN got or would have gotten beat with the type of car I am talking about Mike and TurboBuickSix.

Mike I believe.But that is still only one car out of how many and
TurboBuickSix Ii also believe but admits that he wouldn't have gotten beat if he was taking the other car more seriously.

The thread started "Why do we never run into fast imports on the street"We run ALL our turbo cars on race gas on the street if for no ther reason just the safety aspect. I run 18# boost in my Buick but 110 in the tank just makes me feel a little more comfortable.The Talon has a steady diet of race fuel be at the track or street. So if you run into this Talon on the street be prepared because it has belly full of race gas and is ready to go! When we go to the track I have yet to see a lane for Race gas or pump gas. You make it sound like someone is cheating by running race gas. We put too much time and money in these cars to save a couple dollars on gas. You called me out I will have the car ready in the spring with full interior and prepared as we drive it on the street. Any Friday from May on is test and tune at Norwalk.

onefastjackass, I think you're confusing "streetable" with "daily driver". My buddys malibu runs low low 9's, but can be driven on the street. Yes, its a race car, and yes, he runs race gas. It IS streetable. Streetable means it can be driven on the street, unlike say, a top fuel car. Now, just because something is streetable, doesn't mean you'd want to drive it every day, or that it would even be practical. Your original post commented about fast imports, not whether or not they run nitrous or race fuel. Randy has a fast import, that is driven on the street. Its none of your concern how he does it, only that he does drive it on the street. If he smoked you heads up, no one would care how much you whined about nitrous and race gas, you got beat, the end.

I speculate one of the main reasons you aren't hearing about fast imports is because you're looking here, try a mustang or camaro board. Its not like we as a Buick community have a million of these cars out every day driving around, unlike the more common cars, i.e., camaros, etc.

And the bulk of us here need race fuel to obtain our best times at the track, just like every one else. By your descriptions, if a car requires race fuel to run a number, he didn't really run the number. You need to go to the track, or some street races, and see what happens to the guys who whine about nitrous and race fuel. No one cares, you lost. It doesn't matter if the guy strapped a rocket to the back, you lost. Most street racers will tell you, theres no such thing as cheating. Faster is faster, period.

Originally posted by turbosam6
onefastjackass, I think you're confusing "streetable" with "daily driver". My buddys malibu runs low low 9's, but can be driven on the street. Yes, its a race car, and yes, he runs race gas. It IS streetable. Streetable means it can be driven on the street, unlike say, a top fuel car. Now, just because something is streetable, doesn't mean you'd want to drive it every day, or that it would even be practical. Your original post commented about fast imports, not whether or not they run nitrous or race fuel. Randy has a fast import, that is driven on the street. Its none of your concern how he does it, only that he does drive it on the street. If he smoked you heads up, no one would care how much you whined about nitrous and race gas, you got beat, the end.

I speculate one of the main reasons you aren't hearing about fast imports is because you're looking here, try a mustang or camaro board. Its not like we as a Buick community have a million of these cars out every day driving around, unlike the more common cars, i.e., camaros, etc.

And the bulk of us here need race fuel to obtain our best times at the track, just like every one else. By your descriptions, if a car requires race fuel to run a number, he didn't really run the number. You need to go to the track, or some street races, and see what happens to the guys who whine about nitrous and race fuel. No one cares, you lost. It doesn't matter if the guy strapped a rocket to the back, you lost. Most street racers will tell you, theres no such thing as cheating. Faster is faster, period.
Thank You!! That is EXACTLY the point I was attempting to make!!And you Sir get a attaboy from me!:D The defense rest it's case!I am done bickering!

I haven't had time to read thru all the post in this thread but if you are looking for FAST imports, you need to come to NASHVILLE TN!

There is a guy with a NSX runs 11.60's on regular street tires and this car looks awesome. I think he's got over $90,000 in the car. Got a buddy with a '89 Supra that runs 11.50's and he has a 79 Lancer/Colt with turbo 4cy Australian motor that runs 7.60's in the 1/8th. Matter of fact my buddy with the Lancer/Colt called out the guy in the NSX Sat night for a street race and needless to say got his butt kicked. Then there is Eddie Jackson that lives in Gallatin (just north of Nashville) and he is the national record holder for Honda (all motor). Saturday @ Beech Bend he ran 11.73 in his CRX and drives this car everywhere on the street on pump gas.

I also hear there is some fast imports down around Chattanooga and Atlanta GA.

Originally posted by onefastjackass
But if you read the start of this post the criteria was quite clear.

I said.

If there is such a large amount of them out there then why does it seem that most of us(with the exception of the almost stock ones) are having no problem handling them.

If you would listen to this crowd almost every one of them and there buddys has a car rooming the streets that can beat a turbo buick .If this is true then why arn't they!!

Is it because that if they keep them streetable with 17 to 18 lbs of boost full interior etc. then they arn't quick enough??

So when people keep posting things about 9 sec race gas car that is obveously running more then 17-18 lbs of boost.
Using it as an example trying to prove some that lots of streetable ones are out there proves nothing except that randy has a race car with plates that is running race fuel at higher levels then posted.

It proves nothing about how many truely streetable import cars . Are out rooming the streets and running quick.

Funny if there are so many of them out and around that only two people out of over 300 views have shared an experience in which a slightly modded GN got or would have gotten beat with the type of car I am talking about Mike and TurboBuickSix.

Mike I believe.But that is still only one car out of how many and
TurboBuickSix Ii also believe but admits that he wouldn't have gotten beat if he was taking the other car more seriously.

I agree that there's a lot of "posers" out there,but it seems that there's a few real ones too.
Sounds like the real ones are the ones who don't advertise the fact.:eek:

Originally posted by Mike Licht
I have a customer with a Talon that went 11.24 on 93 pump gas and street tires (NOT DOT or drag radials). No ALKY or Propain. How many guys here can do that? Some but not many. Every type of car has fast and slow ones. I get so tired of people thinking that this or that car is ONLY one that can go fast. I am just a car guy and I like 'em ALL. Have not seen to many cars that in some way I don't like. At the SEMA show this year about 30 to 40 % was devoted to Import or sport compact type cars. You better get used to seeing them cause they are not a fad and are not going away. If you think there is not fast ones you must not get out much.
Mike Licht

To focus on the exception is to be argumentative.

100's of imports at the track on Friday test and tune. See what they run and you will understand why you do not see them on the street.

But do not knock them, they spend money and help keep the industry going. Of course it is hard to not knock them with the attitude they project at times.

Get my email Mike? How much timing do you put in the 100 octane chip Mike?

Blown&Injected has a point about the track. Go there and you will see all kinds, domestic and imports - fast and slow - stock and modified.
As the track seems to testify, there is a lot more bark than bite in import cars.
Just last night I saw an Acura walk away from a Mustang.

onefastjackass, You should come to N.Texas :)

The Hondas I listed above were just the cars I've ridden in and whos owners I know personally. They are just college students who have part-time jobs as the only means to fund their projects.

There are plenty of high-11, low-12 second pumpgas imports down here. There are several DSM's (many DAILY drivers) that are knocking on 10's on race fuel, but click off low 12's (usually at a higher mph than most low-12 Buicks) all day on pump. In fact, I would venture to say I see more "fast" imports driving around on the street daily here than I do "fast" Buicks.

Most the Buick guys I meet at the car shows or track are a good full second or even more off there race gas times when they run pump. Alot of the 11-90-12.0 @ 111-ish mph Buicks are 12.90's-13.20's at 103-105 on pump. I've never run my pump gas car at the track and I have alky on it anyway, so i guess I'm a cheater.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending imports or saying they are better. I don't like them. But, there are several around here that would easily own a 12-sec recipe Buick, pump gas to pump gas on the street. I run 21psi on 23deg timing pump gas/ alky in my daily driver and they can't come close the few times I've given them a run. But i bet if I were only on say, 16 psi and 93 on a street chip, they could easily pass me about 70 and walk away.

I agree with you when you say some come on here and like to make them sound more plentiful than they are. There aren't a whole lot of them prowling the streets compared to other fast cars. But, I think there are lots more of them out in comparison to well-running turbo Regals. The main cars to worry about in a TR are Heads/cam or bottled LS1 F-bods/Vettes as well as any other heavily modded V8 domestics. There are more of these cruising around than any 11-12 sec Hondas or quick Buicks.

Well I think we are at a total diagreement.Because I would not have called my 13-1 compression nitrous fed 67 chevelle I used to drive streetable.

It had plates and was driven on the street but it was a race car!

We may just have to disagree about that one.If i felt that way then put lights, an exhaust,and cooling system on something like a top fuel car.

Then would you guys be argueing that it shouldn't matter that you never run up against these type of cars or that the use nitro doesn't matter.

He drives it on the street so it's streetable.

What about a stock car with an exhaust , lights,and plates.
The fact that he has to run race fuel, rebuild every 500 miles and scrapes the ground on every bump should not exclude it from being called streetable.

You people are getting streetable and able to on occasionly run on the street confused. Having to go back to the garage to fuel up and not being able to go farther then a certain miles away from youre source of fuel or having to carry it along is not a streetable car.

And not what you would normally run up against when just out cruising.Thats why in the first post I set the criteria.I probibly should have been more precise in my discription but I thought that 17-18 lbs and full interior etc,Would be enough for most people to interpret it correctly.

Blown&Injected you are correct!!They think that if focasing upon the exception not the rule they somehow make the point that alot are out there!!

Also they believe that switching the crteria that was set on the top post and argueing about it's merits is somehow going to prove how many are around.

Sad I was hoping for more people to respond with something constructive to say.Instead of arguing about race fuel!And how streetable cars are with it!!

If I can drive it on the street...and not get a ticket....it's a street car....no matter how much you whine about it. :rolleyes:

Once again, you're confusing "streetable". Lets look at the word: STREETABLE- able to be driven on the street. You're arguing practicality, which is totally different. No, I would not daily drive a car that required race fuel and a rebuild every week. But I would drive a race car to a cruise in, and it that makes it streetable. I think what you want to say is "driver friendly", meaning it is a low maintenance, low cost vehicle. One that runs pump fuel, and can be driven cross country with no ill results. Sh!t, half the cars on this board don't fit that bill.

I think I understand what you are trying to say, you just need to use the proper verbalization. The suffix -"able" does not mean practical. Think of other words with "able". Like Consumable. Doesn't mean its something you'd want to eat every day, just means its able to be consumed. You get where I'm going?

onefastjackass,

Who needs race gas with the advent of alky injection atleast with regard to our cars....Would you consider that a non-streetable car?

Todd

Originally posted by onefastjackass

You want your ass handed to you that badly I know more than a few guys that would do it. :p

... bench racing sucks, I want my car back. :mad:

Drive it to the track and drive it home,air on ,cruise control,stereo Haven't seen to many race cars like that. If this was a Buick you wouldn't even question it.