Why doesnt everyone just swap to Hydroboost?????

Has anyone experienced the differences between 84-85 TR hydroboost vs. the astro/safari van hyrdoboost unit? I would the think van unit would be better...What did you guys using the van hydroboost do to the firewall for correct mounting? I still have stock brakes but want hydroboost before bigger/better disc setup.

anyone know what the accumulator tank does on the hydroboost unit. Mine is off an 84 and does not have one. Getting ready to install it but want to make sure it will work good.

May sound like a dumb question but I really dont understand why anyone would use any brake set up besides the HydroBoost on their TR's. Just to make a point, I searched down a parts list:

Hydroboost unit from Oreillys rebuilt: $139.99
Master Cylinder from Oreilly's rebuilt: $15.99
Cost of have the high pressure hoses made: $22 locally Maybe cheaper on the board for a used set
Cost of 30" of 3/8 hose: $5.99
Brake pedal: Same as PowerMaster

The cost of doing this is cheap. It's the best system for our cars in my opinion and I really dont see why it is not the first mod people do to their cars. The Powermasters are known to cause problems. The Vacuum set ups do the trick but dont compare to the stopping power of the HydroBoost and cost about the same to do the swap.

I just thought I would put this out there so people dont think it's hard to get this system in their cars.

Well let me ask this....

Do you have to pay a core charge if you buy a new HB unit from O reillys?

And where did that HB set up come from? China? Mexico?

How much are we talking to convert from PM to HB?

I'd LOVE to have HB, but I'm not yet convinced I can do it reliably for cheap. Last I checked, I'd need to spend $600 for a good kit from Powerbrake Bob. I just don't have $600 lying around to blow.

Sadly Summit used to have HB kits I could buy with my Summit card......not anymore. :frown:

Well let me ask this....

Do you have to pay a core charge if you buy a new HB unit from O reillys?

And where did that HB set up come from? China? Mexico?

How much are we talking to convert from PM to HB?

I'd LOVE to have HB, but I'm not yet convinced I can do it reliably for cheap. Last I checked, I'd need to spend $600 for a good kit from Powerbrake Bob. I just don't have $600 lying around to blow.

Sadly Summit used to have HB kits I could buy with my Summit card......not anymore. :frown:

Core charge on the HydroBoost is $7 at Oreilly's.

Oreilly's carries Cardone products. Do you really think they send your core over to China to get rebuilt?

If you would like to send PowerBrake Bob all of your money, you are more than welcome to make that decision but the prices are as they were shown for the parts from Oreilly's. Not sure what else I can tell you except to read the prices, call Oreilly's, buy the parts, install them, and have a brake system that is reliable?

Oreilly's carries Cardone products. Do you really think they send your core over to China to get rebuilt?

Well, if not China, then surely Mexico. You mentioned the parts were "rebuilt". Meaning that if Pedro and Jose "thought" the seals looked good, then they were re-used. Not a fan of rebuilt stuff from O' Reillys or any chain store. I'll settle for remanned stuff of new stuff.

Not a fan of rebuilt stuff from O' Reillys or any chain store. I'll settle for remanned stuff of new stuff.

And you think PowerBrakeBoob doesn't sell imported parts? Hey my opinion is get it, bolt it on and if it fails it fails. Not much you can do at that point except pucker your sphinxter. Heck even the stuff made by robots has a warranty which should tell you where I'm going. Personally I don't get this Made In The USA stuff. What the heck you going to do if none of it is made here? Go with out it?:rolleyes:

And you think PowerBrakeBoob doesn't sell imported parts? Hey my opinion is get it, bolt it on and if it fails it fails. Not much you can do at that point except pucker your sphinxter. Heck even the stuff made by robots has a warranty which should tell you where I'm going. Personally I don't get this Made In The USA stuff. What the heck you going to do if none of it is made here? Go with out it?:rolleyes:

I wanted to say the same thing but didnt want to get into a battle with it. Remade in Mexico or not, I'm trying to give an idea to people that there are other options ot there besides vacuum and PowerMaster. The HydroBoost brake system is used by many many many HotRods and AutoCross cars becasue it holds the brakes strong and is very reliable. It's not far out of reach to purchase and is very easy to install.

Wonder how much powerbrake bob charges for just the hose set? Seems like everything else is easy to piece together at your local parts store.

didn't the power master come on lesabre's two?if so why would you want to go back in time for a lesser brake system than the power master???

didn't the power master come on lesabre's two?if so why would you want to go back in time for a lesser brake system than the power master???

My powermaster decided to fail without warning when I was driving 45mph up to a redlight. That was enough for me to switch.

i dont think hydroboost is old tech. all the newer trucks, mustangs, and other performance orientated vehicles are coming off the assembly line with it....... as a side note, what years/vehicles came with the reserve can on the side.

And you think PowerBrakeBoob doesn't sell imported parts? Personally I don't get this Made In The USA stuff. What the heck you going to do if none of it is made here? Go with out it?:rolleyes:

I don't know where his parts come from, but that wasn't the point.

I've bought tons of "rebuilt" stuff from chain stores. Starters....alternators....water pumps...master cylinders....

Guess what happened 2 weeks later? I was back to the drawing board, replacing what I had just replaced. Thank goodness there was a warranty. The term "guaranteed to fail early" is IMO imminent with "rebuilt" chain store parts.

When I finally broke down and spent the extra coin for new or remanned, it was usually the last time in a long time I had to replace it.

Also "imported" has nothing to do with it. It has to do where the parts were "imported from". Last I checked, stuff from Japan was still good stuff, yet China and Mexico were mass producing turds in large quantities while being paid chump change to do so.

Besides you seldom see anything "made in the USA" anymore. Especially in today's day and age.

I don't know where his parts come from, but that wasn't the point.

I've bought tons of "rebuilt" stuff from chain stores. Starters....alternators....water pumps...master cylinders....

Guess what happened 2 weeks later? I was back to the drawing board, replacing what I had just replaced. Thank goodness there was a warranty. The term "guaranteed to fail early" is IMO imminent with "rebuilt" chain store parts.

When I finally broke down and spent the extra coin for new or remanned, it was usually the last time in a long time I had to replace it.

Also "imported" has nothing to do with it. It has to do where the parts were "imported from". Last I checked, stuff from Japan was still good stuff, yet China and Mexico were mass producing turds in large quantities while being paid chump change to do so.

Besides you seldom see anything "made in the USA" anymore. Especially in today's day and age.

Have you researched where the Cardone remanufactured units come from yet? I would like to know so you may have a basis to your argument.

Just thought I'd ask a question here since I'm curious/thinking about possibly switching over from vacuum brakes too. I was wondering if the type of master cylinder I have with my vacuum brakes (pictured below) would work with the hydroboost? It looks like it could possibly bolt right up to the HB unit shown on the O'Reilly website. I'm just curious since the master cylinder I have looks a little closer to what originally came with the Powermaster on my car than the original HB master cylinder with the cast reservoir and I'd like to retain that look if possible. Does anybody know if it would work OK that way?

Attachments

• DSC00038.jpg
    DSC00038.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 234
I think the distance between the 2 studs is different. Many years ago I installed an aluminum MC on my Riviera with HB. IIRC it was from a late 80's 1/2 ton truck.