Why is my 04 GS such a gas hog?

turbo6mike

Mike Ruminski
I dont get any codes for o2 sensors and I cleaned the mass air and air filter.Its a GSX with bigger pulley,SLP exhaust and ram air.We use it as daily driver and we dont hammer from light to light just normal driving.Thanks Mike

you put on a -bigger- pulley?

maybe your wife hot foots it when you're not looking:)

have you done a general tune up? maybe you have a faulty spark plug. it blows gas and air through the exhaust...makes the computer think it's lean, and gives her more fuel. check your ignition module for spark too.

me and mike have already discussed this. my 97 is in the same boat. i do mostly highway driving with mine and i blasts through the gas.better then my big block cars but hey.

Mine does it as well, but more so in city driving. I believe a lot of it has to do with the fact it's s/c, so there is parasitic drag when not at freeway speeds. I drove about 70miles on the freeway, and used as much gas as driving around 20 in the city.. kid you not. So... I think your problem is, you aren't flooring it enough. :biggrin:

i would agree its most likely a spark issue, or even just dirty injectors/fuel system. Mine gets 21mpg in the city and i drive pretty aggresive.

I give my car as an example. It is an 02 GS with 35,000 miles. I bought it four months ago from the original owner (67 year old lady) that could not drive anymore. I send the car to the Buick dealer to completely check out the car and it was in top shape. All service records were with the car. My car is in immaculate condition and runs perfect. The only thing I do notice that gas mileage is not that all great, could it be the higher octane that I use (93 octane) as oppose to regular unleaded. The car requires Premieum fuel (SC) models. I do floor it once and while but even highway driving it seems to not do any better. The car is a blast to drive, but I think my 87 GN gave me a little better gas mileage.:)

i average 25 usmpg, 75% highway. i can get better than 30 mpg highway, but it's a hog in town.

Im thinking its the car to maybe I should do a tune up but I dont think its going to help any.It just turned 52k.One more question anyone want to buy a 04 GSX?

Im thinking its the car to maybe I should do a tune up but I dont think its going to help any.It just turned 52k.One more question anyone want to buy a 04 GSX?

I've been looking for a s/c in GS or SS form. PM me with price and specs.

these cars suck at stop and go. maybe a pcm tune will help even it out a little more but my gtp got bad milage in the city but awsome on the highway. i drove from central jersey to lower delaware at 85+mph the whole trip on a little more then a 1/4 tank.

Most gas milage related issue will be cause by a worn-out O2 sensor. The l67 has two O2 sensor. the manifold sensor is primary use for fuel consumsion, and the second O2 sensor at the cat convertor is to let the ecm know the cat convertor is performing correctly. also try a throttle body cleaner and clean the maf sensor element and around the throttle blade. the gm Maf sensor has the ability to burn off any dirt which can get stuck to the sensor element. yea its buning off but i am sure the ashes are still stuck to the element. i have seen it.

even if the car does not have a ses light this does not mean the O2 sensor is performing with the millivolt range, .100mv above the 14.7 a/r ratio will cause the engine to consume more than 10% excess fuel. You can find all this out by reading the spark plugs or a scan tool. if your current O2 sensor has over 60,000 miles, then i will highly recommend replaceing them with bosch,ac delco or performance application.

the EVAP system will cause hi fuel consumsion, but you don`t know a ses light so i will say the EVAP system is functioning ok. you can also perform a injector leak dowe test, if you smell gas or exhaust gas while driving.
check the tire pressure too, it getting cold.

hope this help.

Thanks for the help.I did the maf cleaning and throttlebody so far.I will look in the other things you told me.I like that car in your sig.Thanks Mike

I have pully, airbox, 3 inch downpipe, slp exh, zip ecm I'm getting awsome mileage. we get over 30 on the highway and 26-27 in total stop and go... I have 17's with 235/55's someting is up with your cars, find someone with a tech II and have them go for a ride & check it out. because there is no light on does not mean its running right.:)

According to the electronic guage on my modded 99 GS dash cluster, my car gets 12.3 average miles to the gallon???Don't know if thats correct, I'll have to do the math when driving. It sips more than my 87 Modded T and my Crown Vic. I like the car but, the gas is hurtin my pockets. So I have it up for sale, I need a Honda daily driver. :(

Attachments

• HPIM0563.JPG
    HPIM0563.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 195